dynamics....?

rmurray

dynamics....?
« on: 16 Nov 2011, 10:13 pm »
 Since we are on the topic of the good ole' 4B (50th ann.) who could say which model is more generally dynamic . I don't mean smoothness but in your face dynamic  ( not what is called laid back ) My 4b st is a bit rough but would I be trading this great presence for greater smoothness ? :scratch:

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
Re: dynamics....?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2011, 10:21 pm »
 Yeh , in your face is fun :green: I still like my 4bst.

SoundGame

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2011, 10:28 pm »
By which, do you mean which of the Bryston amps is the most dynamic?  i would say the 28B squared with it's headroom would be the most dynamic in the line.  it has the greatest potential to fully recreate the dynamics of a full scale live musical event. You would not lose slam in moving from your ST to the SST2.  The squared may sound less dynamic to an untrained year but that's because it comes across so smoothly and effortlessly but all the dynamics are there.  in comparison the ST will sound like its stuggling more.  With the squared you hear the music only as opposed to the amp.

rmurray

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2011, 10:30 pm »
 My question is about the the 4b.models.

spinner

« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2011, 10:46 pm »
 I think this question is about those of us that can't afford to go beyond the the 4b.  ;myself included. :dance:

SoundGame

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2011, 11:46 pm »
Bryston is a progressive company and its products follow an evolutionary path towards the ultimate objective of perfection - the exact duplication of what was recorded on the source material - with all its detail, dynamics etc.  Hence, each iteration of the 4B has been an improvement over the previous model - Bryston as verified by my experience, has never taken steps backwards with their amplifiers with any key aspect of sonic performance.  So each successive 4B model brings you closer to the truth in the recording - with less distortion, increased linearity, dynamics etc. 
Each progressive step is generally small - it's refinement on the previous - as has been said by James - it's evolution rather than revolutionary steps.
The ST was the largest positive step in the 4B line but the SST is clearly as step in the positive direction.  With the SST/2, all the benefits of the SST series are there but now you have got liquid smoothness when it's called for and slam when the music calls for it.  The ST will sound harder than the SST and definitely harder than the SST/2 but this is not getting you closer to what was recorded, rather the opposite. 
The SST/2 series has really put Bryston in a very positive light - there are no real shortcomings in it - no real places to say it's lacking.

All that said, if you own a 4B-ST you're on the right path - enjoy it all but you won't go wrong moving to the new models...it only gets better.  You can make the move when you're ready to and when you can afford it but you won't regret it.

I had a 3B-ST for a few years, it did me proud, but when compared to my 4B-SST/2, it was in a different league.  The 3B brought what I would call tension to the table - which might be perceived as agressiveness or what you are referring to as dynamics but the SST/2 has all the dynamics but delivers it in a more lifelike manner - you forget that there is an amp there and just focus on the music.  It also brings much more to the table in terms of finer details in the recordings...you'll hear what you did not hear before.

That's just my piece on it - only my experience thus far, which you are welcome to consider or ignore but ultimately, if you've got a Bryston amp - be happy and enjoy and upgrade when it makes sense and only then.

rmurray

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2011, 05:34 pm »
Soundgame,thanks for taking the time to explain those differences ; I appreciate your insight. The 4b remains a thing with me and and I look forward to the positive change. :dance: :hyper: :wine:

robb

« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2011, 11:54 pm »
By 4b, do you mean the 4b-nrb?

rmurray

« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2011, 11:57 pm »
 No, I was referring to the 4b ST.

1ZIP

« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2011, 04:07 am »
Soundgame - "The squared may sound less dynamic to an untrained year but that's because it comes across so smoothly and effortlessly but all the dynamics are there.  in comparison the ST will sound like its stuggling more.  With the squared you hear the music only as opposed to the amp."

I have both the 4b ST and the 4b SST2 and Soundgame pretty much nailed it.

rmurray

« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2011, 05:02 pm »
 Thanks for the direct comparisons . So,.the squared is not laid back as such but simply more refined.

1ZIP

« Reply #11 on: 19 Nov 2011, 06:25 pm »
I have an all Bryston system including IC's and speaker wire with a pair of B&W's.  Swapping one amp for another does produce a different sound.  So, ya I'd go along with SST2 sound being more refined.  I've never considered Bryston laid back nor the opposite for that matter.  Between the two I prefer listening to the SST2, but that's just me.

Is it worth upgrading......only a test drive in your system will tell you that.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #12 on: 19 Nov 2011, 06:54 pm »
 How do you find your Bryston with B&W.? :dunno: I have been considering the new 803Di version

budt

« Reply #13 on: 20 Nov 2011, 01:48 am »
  I have a pair of 7b sst2 driving my B&W 800 Diamonds and they are a significant step up from the 4b sst. I really wasn't expecting it..I have a meitner ma-1 dac coming next week. I can hardly wait....

1ZIP

« Reply #14 on: 20 Nov 2011, 03:22 am »
How do you find your Bryston with B&W.? :dunno: I have been considering the new 803Di version

B&W and PMC seem to be popular pairings with Bryston.  I've done in home auditions with several manufacturers but I always prefer the B&W's.  Can't put my finger on it but there is something about the synergy that produces a sound I like and can listen to for extended periods.  I've heard some say that you either really like B&W's or you really don't.  With that in mind I would not buy a pair without an in home audition. They are IMHO a little pricey.

If it were not for the limiting aspects of a small room I would be seriously considering a pair of 803D's for myself.

SHV

« Reply #15 on: 20 Nov 2011, 04:32 am »
I have the previous generation B & W 802s, HTM2, 803s, and DS7's driven by 7BSST x2, 6BSST and 3BSST....sounds OK to me and adequately fills my 35' x 16' listening area.  A couple of 18" Velodynes to help the low end for movie sound tracks.

Steve

GaryArthur

« Reply #16 on: 20 Nov 2011, 06:51 am »
I have the previous generation B & W 802s, HTM2, 803s, and DS7's driven by 7BSST x2, 6BSST and 3BSST....sounds OK to me and adequately fills my 35' x 16' listening area.  A couple of 18" Velodynes to help the low end for movie sound tracks.

Steve

I like the new B&W Diamonds very much. I am working on a deal to get a pair of the 805 Diamonds to go into my wife system for Chrismas. And you are right about the Velodyne's. This picture of my rears says it all. Look at those 18 inchers on the DD18's compared to the 10 inchers in the Martin Logan Prodigy's.

spinner

« Reply #17 on: 20 Nov 2011, 05:34 pm »
Now that's dynamic for bass,,,,! :D  Who makes those 18 inchers for Velodyne..maybe JBL? ! :scratch: