Duet problems with Pace Car

firedog

Duet problems with Pace Car
« on: 12 Apr 2009, 02:42 pm »
Hi-
I disconnect my Duet and Pace Car from the electrical outlet when not in use, b/c there tend to be power spikes in my area.

However, I have a problem with the Duet that often when I turn the units back on, I get no signal going into the Pace Car. This happens even if I turn on the Pace Car and then the Duet and even leave it on for 10-15 minutes after turning on the Pace Car. It often takes me multiple attempts over an hour or so to get the two units communicating.

Anyone have any idea what I can do to improve the start up time of my system?

Alternatively, if I had a good solution to the power spikes, I could leave the 2 units on. Most of the spikes here are during "micro power cuts" in which the power switches off and on rapidly - usually when it is very windy. Normal surge protectors and power conditioners don't seem to be useful against this type of phenomenon.

Thanks

edit to post: later the same day: I discovered that a direct S/PDIF connection from the out on the Duet (with Pace Car on and clocks connected) to DAC results in no signal, but a simultaneous direct analogue  connection from the Duet to stereo amplifier results in sound. Apparently it is the S/PDIF out of the Duet that is the problem.

(update: apparently problem due to spdif connector on duet - it doesn't always make a connection. Got it working after disconnecting cables and reconnecting, and everything has worked fine for 2 weeks. So apparently as long as I don't disconnect the spdif cable, everything will continue to work fine  :)).
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2009, 12:12 pm by firedog »

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
Re: Duet problems with Pace Car
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2009, 03:40 pm »
firedog:
To solve the problem with the power switching On/Off rapidly look at APS (now known as PurePower) or APC  audiophile grade battery back-up regenerators.
Chris H.

firedog

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2009, 05:59 pm »
Sounds good, but from what I saw those solutions have a price starting at $1750. I will consider it. But it's a pretty pricey solution for a Duet, as other less expensive battery options are available for the Pace Car.

Thanks

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2009, 06:32 pm »
firedog:
Running your PaceCar and Duet from battery supplies will not only solve the problem, but will increase their sonic performance dramatically. Send me a PM if you are interested in this solution. I can build a single unit to power both.
Chris H.