4.5" hemp drivers?

roymail

• Roy in TX
Re: 4.5" hemp drivers?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jan 2007, 11:26 pm »
Hi Vinnie!  It's been awhile, but I've kept up with the progress and success of the Sig 30 and Sig 70 Monos.  Congrats!  If I didn't already enjoy my modded Clari-T/Omega Super 3R combo so much, I probably would have gotten the Sig 30 already.  I'm patiently waiting for the 5" hemps to drop in the Super 3s.  Once they're broken in and I get used to their sound, I'll probably sell my amp and order a Sig 30.  I'm so addicted to the non-fatiguing, musical, battery driven sound from the Red Wine amp/Omega single driver speaker combo, I doubt I could ever go back to low efficiency, crossover managed speakers and big SS amps again.  Looks like I'm not the only one that has moved in that direction.  Vinnie & Louis, thanks for the great products you provide the discriminating audio community and the exemplary customer service, too.  I'll be in touch with both you guys.

- Roy

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #21 on: 17 Jan 2007, 11:31 pm »
ZLS,  Are you doing beta testing for Louis, or are the small hemps (4.5") now available?  Thanks. :)

ZLS

« Reply #22 on: 18 Jan 2007, 04:22 am »
I would not presume to consider myself a Beta Tester.  I believe Louis is at manufacturing facility of the drivers, and the 4.5" will be available when he returns.

skite30

« Reply #23 on: 18 Jan 2007, 10:45 am »
Will the hemps work in the ts3 speaker cabinets?

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #24 on: 19 Jan 2007, 12:11 am »
skite30,  Its reported to be a direct, drop-in replacement for the 127e.  So I would assume the answer to your question is yes.  If in doubt, call Louis.

psychenaut

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jan 2007, 02:33 am »
Perhaps to help kill the rumors, I just received my Super 3s a couple of days ago.  They use the new 4.5" hemp driver.  I got them in the Italian Alpine Gold/Pearl 2-tone.  Louis is a true artisan in every positive sense of the word.  They are very beautiful.  The pearl laminates take on the color of whatever light is hitting them.  Warmer light makes them more creamy looking.  Cooler light seems to whiten them a bit.  When I get a chance to get them under some nicer lights, I'll post some pictures (I've promised Louis a few shots).

As I'm somewhat new to the audiophile community, I'm not sure if I can give an objective opinion.  I've been running these whenever I haven't been sleeping (I live in a small apartment, though I'll be moving into a house within a month!) to help break them in.  Getting in about 16 hours a day of break-in.  I can say that every day has been a pleasant surprise.  The bass is starting to really come in nicely.  And I'm only about 36 hours into it.  Easily the nicest speakers I've ever owned.  A friend of mine owns some Mackey studio monitors.  While those are nice, I like the design and aesthetic behind the Omegas more.  Listening to Portishead's Dummy last night (first time in a while) was incredible.  It has never sounded that good.  Sparklehorse's new album really shown on the hemps.  Lots of dynamics and subtle tones delivered so crisp!  Massive Attack's Mezzanine is already sounding fuller today.  Day one found the bass a little wanting, which I was expecting.  As I was somewhat worried that too much concert photography without earplugs might have done my hearing in, I've been pleasantly surprised to find that I've really noticed a difference from day to day.

As I'm building this system on the cheap, I'm current driving them off of a Super-T amp powered by an SLA battery.  I'm using a gold radioshack interconnect to a 60GB video Ipod.  A friend sold me some cheap monster speaker wire that's fine for me for now.  I'll probably pick up some Skylan stands next so I can set them up proper in the new house.  Then new cables.  Then perhaps a Sig30 when I can save up the dough!

Ryan

Canyoneagle

« Reply #26 on: 19 Jan 2007, 02:40 am »
IMO you've probably saved yourself thousands of dollars with your (IMO) wise decision to purchase some of Louis's little gems.
I'm a relative newcomer to the magic of single drivers, and I'm hooked!  aa

Enjoy!

psychenaut

« Reply #27 on: 25 Jan 2007, 02:36 am »
I've posted some "OK" pictures of my beautiful (and sonicly excellent!) 2-tone Pearl/Italian Alpine Gold Omega Super 3 Hemp Loudspeakers here:

http://psychenaut.insomnianow.com

After I receive my stands from Noel at Skylan and after I move, I'll post some better pictures in better light!

I've just now passed 140 hours into the break-in process and all I can say is WOW!

Enjoy!

Ryan

kfr01

« Reply #28 on: 25 Jan 2007, 02:50 am »
Do these new 4.5" drivers use a XBL^2 motor?

Thanks!

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #29 on: 25 Jan 2007, 03:05 am »
Do these new 4.5" drivers use a XBL^2 motor?

Thanks!

I don't think so, they are Tone Tubby drivers, not Hemp Acoustics.

Lin

kfr01

« Reply #30 on: 25 Jan 2007, 03:09 am »
Oh, thanks.  Any word on when some Hemp XBL^2 drivers are showing up in Omega products?  (Admin, feel free to move this question to another thread, if too OT).

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #31 on: 25 Jan 2007, 03:19 am »
Oh, thanks.  Any word on when some Hemp XBL^2 drivers are showing up in Omega products?  (Admin, feel free to move this question to another thread, if too OT).

Hi kfr01,

The answer is Never... Louis has his own OEM hemp driver designed using the patented Tone Tubby hemp formulation used for the cone.  These have nothing to do with Hemp Acoustics and/or Adire. 

Louis mentioned that the new 4.5 hemp drivers have 2 additional patents pending.  I forgot what they were for...I think one is for the motor design.  Louis?

These have been in development for a long time, so it is great to finally see them out and about!  I've never heard a 4.5'' wide-band driver sound so good! :)

-Vinnie

kfr01

« Reply #32 on: 25 Jan 2007, 03:53 am »
Thanks for the info., Vinnie.

I'd be interested in knowing more about these drivers and the new technologies they utilize.

ZLS

« Reply #33 on: 25 Jan 2007, 04:30 am »
 :drool:  Louis's Hemptone Drivers + Vinnie's Sig 30 = Wow!!

Louis O

« Reply #34 on: 26 Jan 2007, 04:40 pm »

Vinnie is correct in stating that I have my own drivers and that I'm not connected to Adire or Hemp acoustics in any way. The cone is the most important part of the driver.

I will release more about the 4.5"s soon.

I will have a shipment coming in about 2 weeks so they will be available to retrofit.

Hi opnly bafld,

I did have a great time at the show and I also got very bad news from my family when I returned so I was taking care of this, which took me away from audio for a few days.

Thanks again,
Louis

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #35 on: 26 Jan 2007, 06:38 pm »

Hi opnly bafld,

I did have a great time at the show and I also got very bad news from my family when I returned so I was taking care of this, which took me away from audio for a few days.

Thanks again,
Louis

Sorry to hear that Louis.

Lin

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #36 on: 1 Feb 2007, 01:50 am »
All,

I had the chance to hear the new 4.5" hemps in the Super 3 XRS cabinet the other day.... I had a hard time believing how BIG the sound was coming out of these.  They sound very "juicy" and you can sink your teeth into 'em (not literally).  They convey a lot more harmonic information and have a fatter sound.  They also take a lot of power and don't break up or shout like the Fostex does when pushed hard, and we really pushed them hard with the Sig 30 and they loved it. 

I need to hear ZLS's Super 3 Bipoles (wired in 4-ohm) with the Sig 70s  :drool:
Louis is also planning a Super 3 XRS Bipole (floorstander version of the Super 3 Bipole) using the new 4.5" hemps.  This is the one I am counting on, especially if Louis decides to use something similar to a Max Hemp cabinet and sand-filled base!

Vinnie

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #37 on: 1 Feb 2007, 02:09 am »
All,

I had the chance to hear the new 4.5" hemps in the Super 3 XRS cabinet the other day.... I had a hard time believing how BIG the sound was coming out of these.  They sound very "juicy" and you can sink your teeth into 'em (not literally).  They convey a lot more harmonic information and have a fatter sound.  They also take a lot of power and don't break up or shout like the Fostex does when pushed hard, and we really pushed them hard with the Sig 30 and they loved it. 

I need to hear ZLS's Super 3 Bipoles (wired in 4-ohm) with the Sig 70s  :drool:
Louis is also planning a Super 3 XRS Bipole (floorstander version of the Super 3 Bipole) using the new 4.5" hemps.  This is the one I am counting on, especially if Louis decides to use something similar to a Max Hemp cabinet and sand-filled base!

Vinnie

]

Are the Hemp 4.5"s available yet? :D I have a pair of the Bipoles and want to do the driver switch. It's remarkable how large the 4.5" Fostex's sounded in the bipole configuration but they, like you said, didn't appreciate being fed a lot of power and would sometimes sound strident at high volume. This weakness was especially evident with orchestral music which often has a very large dynamic range.

Raj
« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2007, 04:00 am by rajacat »

Louis O

« Reply #38 on: 17 Feb 2007, 09:36 pm »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for bearing with me in my absence, but now I'm back.

I do have a shipment of 4.5" hemps and I put away 20 units for retrofits. There will be a lot more to come. Please call me to place an order as this is the easiest for me.

Many thanks Lin and I really appreciate it greatly.

Thanks again,
Louis

chadh

« Reply #39 on: 18 Feb 2007, 03:06 am »
Louis,

Do you have any pricing information?  I'm wondering how much it would set me back to outfit my XRS speakers with the new drivers.

Thanks,

Chad