CST-1 vs N3

kwhitman

CST-1 vs N3
« on: 19 Apr 2018, 06:12 pm »
I was looking to start a N3 build when I found out about the CST-1's that appear on Danny's website.  They 'look' similar to the N3's and it reads like they are very similar.  But in the end how do they stack up when listening to them.  By the time I build cases and add the price in for the N3 kit plus an upgrade here or there they are the same price.  Would I be better off just purchasing the CST-1's and save the build time?  I know Danny worked on the CST-1's so I know they are going to be good....but as good as the N3's?  One thing you give up by purchasing is the finish choice.  I'm not against shiny black but I probably wouldn't make that choice if I built a set.  Let me know your thoughts and especially any first hand listening experiences.

Kris Whitman

BTW I have built a pair of X-series Classics for my daughter.  They are awesome and a great bargain!  That is why I'm back looking for another project....for me this time:)

gab

Wind Chaser

Re: CST-1 vs N3
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2018, 07:40 pm »
I have not heard the N3 but I had the CST-1 for about a year. IMO, unless you enjoy carpentry and have the time, just go with the CST-1. There really isn't anything that can touch them for the money.

kwhitman

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2018, 09:01 pm »
Thanks guys.  I see they also offer the Pedistale and say it is their flagship model.  Looking at the drivers I'm not sure if these are a step up or down from the CST-1's.  Anyone have a pair of the Pedistale's that could speak up for these.  I'm wondering which ones would sound better for 2 channel listening?

Kris

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2018, 04:52 am »
The N3TL /  CST1  is a  great design.  The N3's were my first  GR build  and  I still  find them to be fantastic speakers.  the  detailed  bass danny gets out of that transmission line is amazing.
IIRC, the CSt 1 uses the  original  BG Neo3 PDR  and a pair of Chinese knock off  M130's in each cabinet ( the copycat  M130's are supposed to  be  very good ).  You'd   only need  pull the   drivers out,  re do / re-position the   stuffing to get them   running  corectly.   Addin  no rez  and   some  minor  network  upgrades will take them up  to another  level.  You  can't  go wrong  for the  price... in fact,  you're getting into a  speaker  comparable to something  many times it's cost ( in either case)

jay

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2018, 05:35 am »
Jay is right. They are a serious bargain. I can't think of anything in that price range (new or used) that can compete.

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2018, 06:00 pm »
Pretty much what Jay just said...

We replicated our N3, and gave it a little 3 degree tilt. They were all assembled in China at one of the better plants they have over there.

We couldn't ship our woofers from India to China so we had them build a similar one. Sensitivity is slightly down compared to our M-130/16, but they sound pretty close.

You can go in with the same upgrades to caps and resistors to take them up several levels if you want. The stock parts are all poly caps, air core 16 gauge inductors, and good resistors (not sand caste). So they are not bad in stock form at all.

And the cabinets are really nice!