BRYSTON BDP DIGITAL PLAYERS NOW Roon Ready

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP DIGITAL PLAYERS NOW Roon Ready
« Reply #140 on: 9 Jul 2016, 01:58 am »
HI Chris,

Does Roon Ready Mode disable file transfers to the attached HDD's?
I had to disable Roon Mode to be able to write some albums to the HDD's. Does this have to do with MDP too, or only the USB mount and Samba services (which were enabled throughout)

Please also check: Re: BRYSTON BDP DIGITAL PLAYERS NOW Roon Ready
Cheers,
Marius

It does not

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #141 on: 9 Jul 2016, 06:22 am »
Well, this is. Marian mcpartland, Elaine Elias, Jeffery smith, etc etc. not in my library..;-)

I get all the artist suggestions.

I'm trying to use the "radio" feature. In Pandora, I can use the "similar artists" and get a never ending playlist of artists that sound similar to the one artist I started off with.

Unfortunately, Roon is ONLY pulling songs from my library. Nothing from Tidal's vast library.

Marius

« Reply #142 on: 9 Jul 2016, 06:22 pm »
It does not

Well, it does here. Roon Ready Mode enabled, no file transfer possible. Disable Roon, files fly.
Maybe the BDP1 pushed over its capabilities.

Cheers
Marius

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #143 on: 9 Jul 2016, 06:44 pm »
Quote from: unincognito on Yesterday at 21:58:09

"It does not"

Well, it does here. Roon Ready Mode enabled, no file transfer possible. Disable Roon, files fly.
Maybe the BDP1 pushed over its capabilities.

Cheers
Marius

Then get a BDP-2.

Prosit

docder

« Reply #144 on: 9 Jul 2016, 08:16 pm »
Files transferring between hard drives attached to my BDP-1 in Roon Ready mode and to a Macbook Pro working well here.

d

Krutsch

« Reply #145 on: 10 Jul 2016, 09:43 pm »

Directly attach your USB drives to the Roon computer (preferably running RoonServer) or point Roon to a dedicated NAS box (e.g. Synology or WD MyCloud, which is what I use).

I have been listening my collection of about a dozen albums I use to compare new gear. Most recently to Steve Roach's "The Magnificent Void" and that album is a gapless playback torture test; even the slightest tick/delay in track transition really stands-out. With MPD playback of these AIFF tracks on my NAS share (WD MyCloud), gapless playback is 100% smooth.

With Roon: I am hearing subtle delays in gapless playback; adding Disksomnia to keep my WD MyCloud running helped and it’s OK, but not MPD perfect.

So, I am moving the Roon library to direct-attached storage on the Mac Mini, currently re-scanning/analyzing and will try my test albums again to see if Roon can smooth-out gapless playback with faster storage.

Meanwhile, it's been a week since I've listened to MPD playback, so while I wait... With Steve Roach, the music seems to have more "weight" to it and sounds just buttery smooth, clear and with a lot of texture. I suppose it's all expectation bias, but with my experience, so far, I anticipate returning to MPD for most critical listening. We'll see after the library update and re-try.

Playback chain: Sennheiser HD-650, HD-700, Woo Audio WA3 (tubes: West. Elec. 421a + Telefunken E188CC), Bel Canto DAC 2.5 with Audioquest Carbon AES cable from BDP-1 to DAC.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #146 on: 11 Jul 2016, 10:33 am »

Meanwhile, it's been a week since I've listened to MPD playback, so while I wait... With Steve Roach, the music seems to have more "weight" to it and sounds just buttery smooth, clear and with a lot of texture. I suppose it's all expectation bias, but with my experience, so far, I anticipate returning to MPD for most critical listening. We'll see after the library update and re-try.
So... Basically... In your experience Roons sound quality is less than MPDs?
There are several fora where users have come to this conclusion as well. And not only compared to MPD.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #147 on: 11 Jul 2016, 12:23 pm »
There are several fora where users have come to this conclusion as well. And not only compared to MPD.

:violin: :eyebrows:

Marius

« Reply #148 on: 11 Jul 2016, 01:20 pm »
Quote from: unincognito on Yesterday at 21:58:09

"It does not"

Then get a BDP-2.

Prosit

I would love to, but am not convinced the BDP-2 solves problems caused by used techniques on Roons side..

For example, i have an semi optimal machine (dixit Roon KB) running Roon server right now (Macbook Air Core i7 intel, 8gb mem, 500gb ssd) indexing an attached usb with mp3's. Adding to the library was done quite swift, as is was when the NAS installation added NAS drives/folders), but analyzing takes forever. Roon takes about 85 % of the processor, which is silly of course, even for a dedicated device of this proportions.

So, seems not to be the BDP, but specific Roon programming causing described problems. Trying to sort those out right now. The fact that several users are not reporting issues, or even more, reporting to have no issues, doesn't mean there aren't any...

There are many post on the fora/community on various technical issues Roon needs to sort before it will be working as promised.

Cheers,
Marius

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #149 on: 11 Jul 2016, 01:48 pm »

I would love to, but am not convinced the BDP-2 solves problems caused by used techniques on Roons side..

So, seems not to be the BDP, but specific Roon programming causing described problems. Trying to sort those out right now. The fact that several users are not reporting issues, or even more, reporting to have no issues, doesn't mean there aren't any...

There are many post on the fora/community on various technical issues Roon needs to sort before it will be working as promised.

Cheers,
Marius

If the programming seems flawed, then ditch it. Sounds like it's system-dependent for total compatibility; as you said: several users here found it to be working quite well (if their posts are to be believed).

It's the SQ that matters (imo, etc).

Prosit

zoom25

« Reply #150 on: 11 Jul 2016, 01:48 pm »
Krutsch, do you think the less than stellar results might with Roon might perhaps be a result of internet speed/connection and the devices used rather than Roon's method directly? I get maybe one or two short dropouts (millisecond) each day.

I will admit last year when I tested Roon vs. Audirvana Plus to the same DAC via USB, the Audirvana Plus was ahead. Although since then I've heard Roon has improved things.

I haven't tried Roon with headphones or gone back to MPD since I installed Roon. I'll try to listen a lot more today with Roon and then go back to MPD.

I will say that I am actually listening a lot more material via Roon than I ever did with Maniac Moose.

EDIT: Also, I did say I was going to test out different formats but got so lazy after enjoying Roon's UI. Everything is WAV. Every system and configuration gets fed uncompressed files.

zoom25

« Reply #151 on: 11 Jul 2016, 02:01 pm »
Also, can someone tell me if the audiostream in Roon is processed real time or in advance and placed in memory? I think MPD stores it in memory?

Marius

« Reply #152 on: 11 Jul 2016, 02:50 pm »
Dare not to say flawed, but below images speak for them selves.

Not ditching yet, waiting for Roon to help and maybe overcome this.
Meanwhile, 5384 mp3's are analyzed, in half a day.

Cheers, indeed!
Marius

If the programming seems flawed, then ditch it. Sounds like it's system-dependent for total compatibility; as you said: several users here found it to be working quite well (if their posts are to be believed).

It's the SQ that matters (imo, etc).

Prosit

Samurai7595

« Reply #153 on: 11 Jul 2016, 03:54 pm »
Any benefits to going to the latest update for someone who is not interested in ROON?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #154 on: 11 Jul 2016, 03:56 pm »
Any benefits to going to the latest update for someone who is not interested in ROON?

Hi

Yes generally there are small bug fixes etc. along the way.

james

Krutsch

« Reply #155 on: 11 Jul 2016, 05:12 pm »

I don't know, yet.

I finished changing the system over to direct-attached storage for the Roon library, and that seems to have solved the gapless playback problem. There is a thread on the Roon community forum where even the Roon CTO is discouraging people from using NAS shares for the library. I think that's lazy programming on the part of Roon, but it did resolve the issue. My NAS share and HDD have similar performance numbers, using Blackmagic Speed Test, but NAS always as a significant difference in latency over direct-attached storage; I think that's the issue, as Roon waits too long to start loading the follow-on track.

So, I am back to listening exclusively on Roon. I think the differences are subtle, of course, so in my experience it takes time to acclimate to one, before switching to the other and observing differences.

That said, when I re-listened to the same album via MPD last night it really did sound better. The Roon version seems flat, with a compressed image (in an HD-700 headphone sort-of way) and the MPD version invokes more of an emotional response from me (sorry, I don't how to describe this). It reminded me of the same feeling I had listening to familiar music from the BDP-1 for the first time.

I'll keep at it...

Krutsch

« Reply #156 on: 11 Jul 2016, 05:19 pm »
Krutsch, do you think the less than stellar results might with Roon might perhaps be a result of internet speed/connection and the devices used rather than Roon's method directly? I get maybe one or two short dropouts (millisecond) each day.

EDIT: Also, I did say I was going to test out different formats but got so lazy after enjoying Roon's UI. Everything is WAV. Every system and configuration gets fed uncompressed files.

See my previous post on the network issues.

As far as formats are concerned, I don't think it matters. Roon transcodes everything to (I assume) PCM and ships that over the network for the RAAT app on the playback endpoint to feed to the audio subsystem (i.e. ALSA for Linux).

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #157 on: 11 Jul 2016, 06:17 pm »

A detailed change log appears on the update firmware page before installing the firmware.  Anything listed from the top to were your current firmware revision appears will apply to your unit.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #158 on: 11 Jul 2016, 06:20 pm »
See my previous post on the network issues.

Roon transcodes everything to (I assume) PCM and ships that over the network for the RAAT app

DSD will play as DSD as long as DoP is selected in the Roon settings on the BDP.

zoom25

« Reply #159 on: 12 Jul 2016, 01:11 am »
I've gone back and forth between Roon and MPD in very quick intervals (switch over in 15-20 seconds) as well as taking things slow and listening for an hour and above and then A/Bing. There are definitely differences between the two in sound. I'm much more clear on the differences between the two and how they play out on both headphones and speakers. Also, the tendency to exaggerate things.