question on tweeters

sedah

question on tweeters
« on: 19 Jun 2009, 10:37 pm »
Firstly, my apologies if this is a topic that has come up before. I'm still somewhat new here and haven't had the energy to go back through 23 pages of old posts. If it has been brought up before, please feel free to smack me and point to another thread...

So some background: I'm considering buying a full 5.1 set of speakers from the Song Series. Two STs, the SC and two SS1s. When I sent my first email to Jim about the purchase, he talked a little about the HT2s and the Songs, and how upgrading to the ribon tweeter in the STs would get me close to the HT2s (though not quite there of course). He mentioned that the upgrade would only have to be done in the towers.

Usage info: I enjoy listening to 2-channel music (big band, classical, rock, electronic), but my system will primarilly end up used for home theater and gaming.

So I posed a follow on question to Jim's first email (still waiting for a response)... and since I'm somewhat excited by all this at the moment and thus somewhat impatient (waiting for the production queue - after I finally place an order - may kill me) I figured I'd post it here and see what all of you have to say.

If I upgrade to the RTs (which is likely), I would end up with three different tweeters in the system: the ribbons in the towers, the OW2 in the center, and the OW1s in the rears. I know that the center does a lot of work in HT... so does that seem sensible? Given the Salk reputation, I trust Jim to get it right, but I still wonder at having three different tweeters in the mix.

I would love to hear your thoughts. Or even better: your experiences from those of you who might have something similar.

Tx

vintagebob

Re: question on tweeters
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2009, 11:13 pm »
You can add a ribbon tweeter to the Song Center for an additional $150.

http://www.salksound.com/speakers_songseries_songcenter.shtml

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2009, 11:23 pm »
The difference will be minimal for movies, but more apparent if you listen to multi-channel music.  I am using my bro's Def Tech center for movies, and it does the job well.  But for multi-channel music, I can't stand it.  It sounds so different (worse) that I just stick to stereo listening.  I cannot wait to get the matching center, but that's not in my future for quite a while, unfortunately (laid off recently). 

If you can swing it, get the ribbon so the front three match.  It's worth an extra $150.  You're already getting the $100 discount by ordering the center with the fronts, so technically it would be only $50. Either way, you'll soon have one killer system, of which either center channel will contribute to making you happy, I'm sure. 

Please post pics and your impressions when they arrive!

vintagebob

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2009, 11:46 pm »
If you are willing to make the upgrade to the Song RTs you should at least look at the HT2-TLs.   :wink:

sedah

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2009, 11:54 pm »
Ok, I'll definitely consider the RT on the center as well then!

I did have a look at the HT2s... and they look fantastic. If I had a pair of those, I'm not sure I'd ever be willing to put the covers on. But if I go with the HT2-TLs, I have to go with an HTC and the HT1s for surrounds (I'm a firm believer in matching)... which eats up A LOT more of my budget. Not sure I can afford jumping to there.  :(

sedah

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2009, 11:55 pm »
Oh, and I have to say Nuance, it was reading some of your posts on another site that first piqued my interest in Salks. You're a great spokesman!

rahimlee54

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2009, 12:00 am »
Ok, I'll definitely consider the RT on the center as well then!

I did have a look at the HT2s... and they look fantastic. If I had a pair of those, I'm not sure I'd ever be willing to put the covers on. But if I go with the HT2-TLs, I have to go with an HTC and the HT1s for surrounds (I'm a firm believer in matching)... which eats up A LOT more of my budget. Not sure I can afford jumping to there.  :(

If you go with the HT2s I think the general thing to do is get another HT2 monitor for the center, which you're correct ends up costing substantially more.  If you are going for just movies though and games you will be able to sneak past with lesser quality sounds as the surrounds are more ambiance than anything else.  If you were listening to multi channel music that is a different story.  I'll throw another vote for the Ribbon center just because you get a discount for ordering the ST as Nuance said.  You will no doubt enjoy your new setup if you get it.

Jared

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2009, 01:06 am »
Hi Sedah,

What type of electronics will you be using in your system?

Unless you use top notch electronics i.e. amp, cdp.  You probably won't hear the true potential of the ht2 speakers anyway.

If you are going to use a avr receiver I'd suggest going with the songtowers.  The hiquophon tweeter is very very good quality and ranks amongst the best dome tweeters in the world. 

I hope this helps.

Regards

Rod

sedah

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2009, 01:48 am »
Hi Sedah,

What type of electronics will you be using in your system?

Unless you use top notch electronics i.e. amp, cdp.  You probably won't hear the true potential of the ht2 speakers anyway.

If you are going to use a avr receiver I'd suggest going with the songtowers.  The hiquophon tweeter is very very good quality and ranks amongst the best dome tweeters in the world. 

I hope this helps.

Regards

Rod

Hi Rod,

I'll be using one of the new Denon AVR4310CIs to drive most of my setup. No current plans for any other amping... BD player is a Sony BDP550 (shame that - with the new amp, the 350 would have been more than good enough, but I hadn't planned on changing amps at the time)... cds will go into the amp from the BR player or I'll toss em on digitally from an ipod/phone. I suppose there's the possibility of more component upgrades in the future, so I'd rather have some speakers that can grow with my system if possible. :)

R Swerdlow

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2009, 04:22 am »
Sedah

You seem to be leaning toward the SongTower & SongCenter with the ribbon tweeters for your fronts, and will probably get the SSIs for rear channel speakers.  All in all, not too shabby :thumb:.

You had asked in your OP about differences in the OW1 and OW2 dome tweeters.  In case someone else also wonders about that, I'll try an answer.  Those tweeters are very similar designs, the OW1 (87 dB) is less sensitive than the OW2 (90 db).  Because the SongTower uses two woofers, the more sensitive OW2 is a better choice for them.  The SSI, with one woofer, works better with the less sensitive OW1.  I cannot hear any difference between these two tweeters.

sedah

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2009, 04:56 am »
Thanks for that explanation! Definitely helps me (an honest newbie when it comes to higher end audio electronics) out a lot.

turkey

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jun 2009, 11:31 am »
Sedah

You seem to be leaning toward the SongTower & SongCenter with the ribbon tweeters for your fronts, and will probably get the SSIs for rear channel speakers.  All in all, not too shabby :thumb:.

You had asked in your OP about differences in the OW1 and OW2 dome tweeters.  In case someone else also wonders about that, I'll try an answer.  Those tweeters are very similar designs, the OW1 (87 dB) is less sensitive than the OW2 (90 db).  Because the SongTower uses two woofers, the more sensitive OW2 is a better choice for them.  The SSI, with one woofer, works better with the less sensitive OW1.  I cannot hear any difference between these two tweeters.

I have had extensive listening experience with the Hiquphon tweeters (20+ years) and I like them a lot.

I don't actually like ribbons as well as a good dome tweeter. To me, ribbons sound a bit etched, tinkly, and crystalline. Those words probably don't mean much, but what I hear from ribbon tweeters is: "Here I am! It's TWEETER!"

It just sounds far less natural to me than does a good dome. (Hiquphon and some domes or ring radiators from ScanSpeak, SEAS, and Dynaudio. Morel too.)

(Compression drivers on a waveguide can be even better, but that's another story altogether.) :)

R Swerdlow

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jun 2009, 03:24 pm »
I have had extensive listening experience with the Hiquphon tweeters (20+ years) and I like them a lot.

I don't actually like ribbons as well as a good dome tweeter. To me, ribbons sound a bit etched, tinkly, and crystalline. Those words probably don't mean much, but what I hear from ribbon tweeters is: "Here I am! It's TWEETER!"

It just sounds far less natural to me than does a good dome. (Hiquphon and some domes or ring radiators from ScanSpeak, SEAS, and Dynaudio. Morel too.)

I agree with what you say about the Hiquophon domes, they are among the best domes I've ever heard.  The way Dennis implements his designs with them makes for an outstanding speaker.

Dome tweeters are in general a mature design, in the sense that there are a number of manufacturers, as you mentioned, that make very good ones.

In that same sense, I think ribbon tweeters are a much younger type of design.  I have heard some ribbons that sound as you said "a bit etched, tinkly, and crystalline".  But the LCY ribbon tweeters in the Salk ST-RT, HT2 models, and the V3 don't sound like that to my ears.  I've heard the dome ST directly compared to the ribbon ST, and my first impression was that the ribbon is quieter and "less noisy" than the dome.  It called less attention to itself, not more.  The difference was subtle (as most tweeter characteristics are), but noticeable.  I haven't heard many of the various ribbon tweeters now available, but I'm saying there might be more variation among them than there is among the better dome tweeters now available.

I'm glad that no ribbon STs existed when I bought mine.  It made the choice easy.  And now that I have them I have no ribbon envy at all.

Nuance

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jun 2009, 04:40 pm »
Oh, and I have to say Nuance, it was reading some of your posts on another site that first piqued my interest in Salks. You're a great spokesman!
haha, thanks.  :)

Rocket

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jun 2009, 02:14 am »
Hi Sedah,

If you want a speaker that has the ability to take you to the next ability I would go for the ht2.

I would not underestimate the hiquphon tweeter though and think it would be almost as good the rt version.  I haven't heard the songtowers but have a pair of ht2 non tl version.  Jim makes very fine quality speakers and would cost at least double if bought from a retail store.

Regards

Rod