Gain vs. sensitivity

Mike-48

Gain vs. sensitivity
« on: 29 Mar 2006, 02:48 am »
I'm looking for some technical help.  I am changing my system to a bi-amp one and want to add an additional Bryston amp.  I have been using a 14B SST and am thinking of adding either a 4B SST or 3B SST (and then maybe swapping out the 14B for a 4B).  I think the 3B would be enough, BUT.... I have a question on the specs for these amps.

Looking at the 1 volt inputs, both amps show 29 dB gain.  However, the 4B (and most of the line) show sensitivity of 2.3V, while the 3B shows sensitivity of 1.3V.  My brain seems to have a block -- I haven't so far grasped that two amps can have the same gain while one has higher sensitivity.  Maybe it's just that I'm not understanding what "sensitivity" means in this context?  Help, please!

Mike

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Gain vs. sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2006, 04:44 pm »
Hi James;

It appears there are some misprints in Bryston's brochure under sensitivity specs.  The correct figures for sensitivity on the 3B SST are 1.3V for 150W, and for the 4B SST 1.8V for 300W.  (All sensitivity figures are for full rated output into 8 Ohms).  The correct figures are shown on Bryston's website under Technical Info, click for Specs.  I hope this helps, apologies for the confusion.

cwr

Mike-48

Gain vs. sensitivity
« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2006, 04:55 pm »
This certainly clears it up for me.  I understand, then, that each amp will produce the same output level for the same input. The limiting factor to that is implied by the sensitivity (input level) for full output.

Thanks, James!

Mike