Hi Fi Fuse Test - Help Wanted

audioferret

Hi Fi Fuse Test - Help Wanted
« on: 14 Nov 2006, 03:35 pm »
Greetings,

I am looking for someone in Colorado with a VAC-1 to help with a test of the HiFi Tuning "Audiophile Fuse.  I have recently purchased one and have come up with what I think will be an effective way of testing them relatively objectively.

The CIAudio product is unique in that you can take the power cord away and the headphone amp will continue running for a second or so.  In that way, it is possible to switch out the power supplies in real time.  This means that it is possible to set up two VAC-1s with a HPA-1 and have the only differential be the fuse.  I have one VAC-1, one HPA-1 and the new fuse.  All I need is a partner with another VAC-1.

Methodology:

1.  One person installs the fuse in one of the power supplies while the other is out of the room.
2.  Person 1 rotates the PS and leaves the room.
3.  Person 2 steps in and places (randomly by coin flip) a label on each PS (A and B)
4.  Person 2 rotates power supply. 

Setup will be using my X-CD88 as a transport, perpetual technologies P-Stack (modded) to drive the HPA amp.  I have a pair of Grado SR125s, partner should bring a different set of cans. 

5.  Next, one song is played per person.  I intend to use track 13 of Playboy's "Jazz after Dark"  "The Meaning of the Blues" by Nenna Freelon. 
6.  One person listens with their back to the setup while the other switches every 10 seconds.

Explanation:  The order of swapping will go in two stages.  The first stage will be A-A-B-A-B.  Before testing, the order will be determined randomly by coin flip, resulting in either A-A-B-A-B or B-A-B-A-A.  Then, another coin flip will establish the next stage as either B-A-B-B-A or A-B-B-A-B.  The person listening will not know what pattern is being used and will have to determine by listening which fuse is in operation.

7.  One writes observations down while the other tracks which PS was used.  The results are  not compared until both listeners have taken the test.

8.  After one iteration, the other person listens while person 1 switches power supplies and records the order of play.

Review Criteria to be noted on each swap:

1.  Detail: Ability to discern minute sounds and details
  2.  Imagery: Separation of instruments and voices, depth of soundstage
  3.  Timbre:  Overall realism of sound - does a violin sound like a violin?
  4.  Dynamics: Are impacts harder or softer?  Attack of Piano?
  5.  Music: Which one simply sounds better?

9.  After review, we will compare notes to see if we were able to tell the difference between one fuse and the other accurately, resulting in a X out of 10 accuracy rate.

SO, Any takers?

:wink:

...Let the Flames Begin! 
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2007, 04:40 pm by audioferret »

gooberdude

Re: Hi Fi Fuse Test - Help Wanted
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2006, 03:57 pm »
Sounds like a good experiment.   I've been using the VAC-1 on a VPP-1 for a few years, its indispensible.
My advice though is to stick the new fuse in and forget about it...make sure its installed in the right direction too.  I haven't used the Hi Fi fuses, but did replace the stock VAC-1 fuse with a cryo'd ceramic walled one from Cryo-Parts...$5.   

One thing you have to consider about any test like this is how long the gear has been running....a VAC-1 that's been on a few hours will probably sound difft than one on for 5 seconds.  When testing for cables or anything, i do it with cold beer - i mean cold gear.

The best cheap tweak I've found for the VAC-1 is removing the 4 tiny rubber feet and adding 3 - 2" maple blocks underneath and a small pointed brass weight from Mapleshade on top - only problem is getting the tiny points to stay on top of the ridges on the VAC-1....   The VAC-1 vibrates quite a bit, all power supplies do.   Draining those vibes out works wonders.     This tweak has not done a thing for the VPP-1.

Another killer add-on for the VAC-1 is the Revelation Audio Labs Umbilical.  oh - my - gawd did it wake up the VPP-1.  I added the umbilical last, after the MS tweak & new power cord.   the icing on the cake.  Like adding jet fuel to an already ballsy go cart.

The power cord i'm using is DH Labs bulk AC cord w/Oyaide P-079 male and Furutech Fi-11Ag female end.

GD

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2006, 04:08 pm »
Put these fuses in all my equipment. Nice Tweak!! The biggest improvement was INNER DETAIL.

audioferret

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2006, 04:35 pm »
One thing you have to consider about any test like this is how long the gear has been running....a VAC-1 that's been on a few hours will probably sound difft than one on for 5 seconds. 

Both power supplies will be plugged in at the same time.  This shouldn't be a problem.  Power conditioner will be a PS Audio HPC-200.  Digital equipment is isolated from the amps by a Felicia Balanced Power Conditioner.

...The VAC-1 vibrates quite a bit, all power supplies do...

How would you measure that vibration?

gooberdude

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2006, 04:53 pm »
hey Audioferret,

i measure it with my ears!   Without any vibe draining the sound is muffled, not surreal or 3-D.   after treating the VAC-1 these issues disappear.

all transformers vibrate a lot...

have you tried the RAL umbilical?   i think there's a 30 day $ back trial.

HumanMedia

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2006, 02:13 am »
Ive tried a few fuses including the Hifi tuning ones in the D200's and in a range of equipment and there is a pattern.

Shall I post my results now, or wait until your have done your tests, so I dont bias your findings?

audioferret

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2006, 03:31 am »
Ive tried a few fuses including the Hifi tuning ones in the D200's and in a range of equipment and there is a pattern...Shall I post my results now, or wait until your have done your tests, so I dont bias your findings?

Feel free.  I have already bought the fuse and I just want to hear the effect, if any, myself.  I don't care how it turns out either way.  I just want someone to demonstrate, with more scientific reliability, that these fuses have a positive impact on sound.  If it is negative, people should know.  As I am sure that the test will reliably prevent bias from creeping in, I am not worried about people's comments or experiences. 

carusoracer

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2007, 01:59 pm »
Ive tried a few fuses including the Hifi tuning ones in the D200's and in a range of equipment and there is a pattern.

Shall I post my results now, or wait until your have done your tests, so I dont bias your findings?

Curious as to your findings regarding fuses?

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2007, 03:49 pm »
You are overlooking the most important test.  :)  Does it actually blow at its specified rating and time constant?

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

audioferret

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2007, 04:39 pm »
No luck.  I haven't found anyone in my area that has the VAC power supply.  I haven't tried the fuse because I want to wait until I can do a proper double-blind test.  This whole thing is really an exercise in curiosity - I don't expect or care to hear a difference.  I just want to be able to demonstrate whether or not a double-blind test will illuminate any differences (good or bad) between the two fuses.

Is there ANYONE in Colorado with a VAC-1?
- AF

HumanMedia

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2007, 08:13 am »
Feel free.  I have already bought the fuse and I just want to hear the effect, if any, myself.  I don't care how it turns out either way.  I just want someone to demonstrate, with more scientific reliability, that these fuses have a positive impact on sound.  If it is negative, people should know.  As I am sure that the test will reliably prevent bias from creeping in, I am not worried about people's comments or experiences. 

Ahh, I forgot about this thread.

I spent much time rotating diferent fuses in the D200s when I was working from home.
The HifiTuning ones gave an emphasis in the midrange and bass but made the highs a little rough.
The ceramic Bussmans were quite neutral and didnt push the sound in any direction but were also a little rough in the highs (not as pronounced as the HiFituning ones).
The stock fuses had the best highs by far and whilst not as good in the bass and midrange as the HifiTuning ones, I thought the sacrifice of the HiFituning ones wasnt worth it.  The difference wasnt night and day and was more of an emphasis, but I picked up the difference repeatedly.

So my pick was the fuse that shipped with the amp. (Mental note: I should ask Dusty for a couple of spares with my next order)

Note 1.  I use the Hifi tuning fuses and Bussmans in other components where I find they sound better, but not the D200s.
Note 2. I am a converted believer in burn-in of all components including power and silver conductors.  Burn-in usually tames the high frequencies in silver and may well have improved the HiFiTuning fuses, but i wasnt prepared to wait for a few hundred hours as the highs in the stock fuses were so much more seductive.

« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2007, 12:49 pm by HumanMedia »

SatoriGFX

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2007, 01:20 pm »

Note 1.  I use the Hifi tuning fuses and Bussmans in other components where I find they sound better, but not the D200s.
Note 2. I am a converted believer in burn-in of all components including power and silver conductors.  Burn-in usually tames the high frequencies in silver and may well have improved the HiFiTuning fuses, but i wasnt prepared to wait for a few hundred hours as the highs in the stock fuses were so much more seductive.

After using these fuses in other equipment for some time why don't you, at that point, test them out with the D200s?  Maybe you'll like them better in the D200s after they have been burned in.  Or maybe not.

Adam.

HumanMedia

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jan 2007, 01:01 am »
After using these fuses in other equipment for some time why don't you, at that point, test them out with the D200s?  Maybe you'll like them better in the D200s after they have been burned in.  Or maybe not.

Adam.

The ones in other equipment sounded better than other fuses immediately with no burn in.  They are different ratings to the ones in the D200's so I cant just swap them in. The reason why I didnt persevere initially is that I just wanted to listen to the music and get immediate gratification, with what sounded better there and then.   One day I might come back and try them for extended burn-in in the D200s.