Salk Sound Reëstablishes Legendary Loudspeaker Brands

Nuance

Re: Salk Sound Reëstablishes Legendary Loudspeaker Brands
« Reply #60 on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:26 pm »
Jim needs to think about using some higher end gear IMO. 

I concur.

This isn't going to sell a lot of speakers to people who listen to their speakers.  If they just look at them, then yes.  I agree with the earlier post.  I think Salk needs to mix it up on the electronics side. These are $10k speakers, lets get some electronics that go with that sort of investment!
As an SS8 owner, I am a little concerned that even Salk is struggling with setup/placement. What about the room is so challenging, that its a constant comment to listeners.

I agree about the electronics, but that's all I'll say about that. :)  Concerning the room, they set the SS8's up so they are what you see when you first walk in, but that meant the passive of the right speaker was facing a large hallway/entrance causing a bass null.  This was resolved Saturday morning before the show started, but the room still had its effect.  Anyone who owns the SS8's knows they are not lean in the bass or harsh on the top end.  Windows, large openings and the large kitchen all reek havoc on the sound, and it is a challenge to dial things in.  Next year the larger speakers (SoundScape series) will likely be placed on the other side of the room, as they'll sound better there.

Oh, and jtwrace is the only one to say he didn't like the sound post Friday, so I wouldn't be too concerned.  Salk's sound isn't going to please everyone.

Nuance

« Reply #61 on: 17 Oct 2012, 08:43 pm »
Sound and Vision considers the Bud Fried monitor to be among the best speakers at RMAF:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/photogallery/gallery-best-speakers-2012-rocky-mountain-audio-fest

Yeah baby!

Nuance

« Reply #62 on: 17 Oct 2012, 08:51 pm »
And another:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/rocky-mountain-show-report/

Excerpt:

"The tall, slim tower couples a pair of 7” Peerless drivers with a dome tweeter in an MTM arrangement. The sound from these $2995-per-pair speakers was neutral and well-balanced."

jackman

« Reply #63 on: 17 Oct 2012, 09:30 pm »
It looks like Jim has another winner on his hands.  I'm happy to see someone carrying on the Fried tradition.  Congratulations to Jim and Dennis for bringing these speakers to market.  For under $3k, the new Fried models look to be a very good bargain. 

Regarding room setup issues, anyone who has ever been to an audio show is most likely (painfully) aware of how difficult it is to set up a room, especially if it's not the ideal size for the speakers you are demonstrating.  Not saying it's the case here, but I suspect Salk speakers are no more difficult to set up than any other speakers.  I'm disappointed I was unable to attend the RMAF, due to family and work committments.  Maybe next year!

Cheers,

Jack

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #64 on: 17 Oct 2012, 10:18 pm »
I concur.

I agree about the electronics, but that's all I'll say about that. :)  Concerning the room, they set the SS8's up so they are what you see when you first walk in, but that meant the passive of the right speaker was facing a large hallway/entrance causing a bass null.  This was resolved Saturday morning before the show started, but the room still had its effect.  Anyone who owns the SS8's knows they are not lean in the bass or harsh on the top end.  Windows, large openings and the large kitchen all reek havoc on the sound, and it is a challenge to dial things in.  Next year the larger speakers (SoundScape series) will likely be placed on the other side of the room, as they'll sound better there.

Oh, and jtwrace is the only one to say he didn't like the sound post Friday, so I wouldn't be too concerned.  Salk's sound isn't going to please everyone.

Now you and your rolling eyes post of late in the RMAF thread know for a fact that Jason wasn't the only one who had something negative to say about the Bud Fried loudspeakers at RMAF. Let's try and keep it real yea.  :thumb:

Bud Freid. They were solidly mediocre, no way could I live with these. "Only" $3k for a pair of crappy speakers.

Cheers,
Robin

Nuance

« Reply #65 on: 17 Oct 2012, 10:27 pm »
Jason didn't knock the Fried room, actually.  As for your post, not everyone will like every speaker.  It's no skin off my back, especially considering the positive press and comments all weekend. 

By the way, it's pretty pathetic of you to come in here with a vendetta and only post for the sake of slander.  Tough man hiding behind his computer.  I look forward to meeting you in person one day.  :wink:

P.S.  How about them Cowboys?  :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #66 on: 17 Oct 2012, 10:38 pm »
Jason didn't knock the Fried room, actually.  As for your post, not everyone will like every speaker.  It's no skin off my back, especially considering the positive press and comments all weekend. 

By the way, it's pretty pathetic of you to come in here with a vendetta and only post for the sake of slander.  Tough man hiding behind his computer.  I look forward to meeting you in person one day.  :wink:

P.S.  How about them Cowboys?  :lol:

:violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin:

(goes for my Cowboys too)  :rotflmao:

Nuance

« Reply #67 on: 17 Oct 2012, 10:42 pm »
^ LOL, I have to admit, your silly charade is kind of entertaining.  Have at it, chief.

Back on track: congrats to Jim on a successful trade show.  You don't get where he is today by making lousy speakers, and I think that's obvious to anyone with common sense.  Again, congrats! :thumb:

P.S.  Pete's Tubes Research Labs gear is sick!  He has good taste.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #68 on: 17 Oct 2012, 10:58 pm »
This isn't going to sell a lot of speakers to people who listen to their speakers.  If they just look at them, then yes.  I agree with the earlier post.  I think Salk needs to mix it up on the electronics side. These are $10k speakers, lets get some electronics that go with that sort of investment!
As an SS8 owner, I am a little concerned that even Salk is struggling with setup/placement. What about the room is so challenging, that its a constant comment to listeners.

We chose (poorly) to put the 8's at the entrance side of the room so folks would come in after having a wow moment seeing the Pepperwood Burl.  Salk still does not have wide recognition so if folks poke their head in and see some bookshelves or small towers in Cherry they might not come all the way in - that was our logic.  We muscled Jim into doing this even though his instinct was to use the other end to support the bass output.  So that was a poor decision but we moved the speakers back toward the wall, moved the left closer to the left wall and amateurishly put a hard surface next the the right outboard passive in an effort to give it a surface to build from.  The amount of work to swap systems end to end would have been very great right in the middle of the show  so we felt it was a decent result so kept moving forward.  Next time they will be in the other end of the room.