sensation with linn

acvtre

sensation with linn
« on: 27 Jan 2011, 09:33 pm »
My first topic, yeeeaaahhh  :green:. Hi, guys I've got a wonderful pair of linn keilidh speaker in closed box, they 88db on 4ohm and two and half and the typical english sound.
Now I'm using a NAD c320, but I'm not completely satisfied, it is a little too rounded and not enough define.
The english speakers are well known for the massive power request, and mine are one of those, so my first worry is about the current. For example an audiolab can deliver 25A, instead the sensation m451 7A, so: can this difference indicate a bad matching of the sensation with my linns?
I'm not a technician, so maybe last question may seem silly.
Since these speakers request so much power, is it possible that the sensation cannot deliver enough and creates high distortion level?

I'd really like to have a response from "virtue" user about this possible matching.

Thank you guys.

acvtre

Re: sensation with linn
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2011, 08:58 am »
I don't care about loud music, since the stereo is in my bedroom that is 4,2mx3,8m.
I'm worried about 2 things:
1) can the sensatin deliver enough current when the peaks requires it?
2) will the class T timbre be a good matching with a british loudspeaker, so british sound?

Jack Caldwell

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2011, 10:26 pm »
Hi from Holistic Audio

ANY of the current Virtue amps will provide serious drive into 4 Ohm loads. IMO they actually work better with 4ohms than 8ohms

My larger speakers (the H3) run closer to 3.2 Ohms and when using battery supplies the Virtues will comfortably drive them to VERY loud levels, over 118dB. Granted, my speakers are about 6 dB more efficient than the Linn model you describe, but that just means you'll have to be content with 112dB or so. Still way too loud if you want to keep your hearing!

Listen, the Virtue is NOT a wallflower, you'll have to hear how these amps reach out and GRAB those woofers and make 'em do things just the way it wants to.
In other words, ballsy, taut, controlled and extended with a lot of slam.  It's the reason I use these amps in the main demo system for my $36K speakers!

One of the greatest qualities of the Virtue amps is its tremendous rhythmic drive or PRAT as many Brits say. The Linns aren't too shabby in this department, and with the lively neutrality of the Virtue to drive them my guess is you'll be more than pleased. They are exactly the remedy for you: instead of that dreaded "dead" sound of the NAD, you'll have something that breathes real live back into your music. Don't hesitate. You might just have to get up and dance!

BTW Virtue does not pay me money for my recommendations, and I am not commercially affiliated with them. It's just that their amps sound so dang good i use them, and highly recommend them.

holisticaudio.com

Jack Caldwell

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2011, 11:50 pm »
About the current capability on the Virtues: there is a big difference between instant current delivery and max current delivery.
If you compare the Virtue with some amps which can put out high sustained current, the Virtue will still win in most cases PROVIDED you are using the right kind of BATTERY POWER. For example, RedWine Audio's LFP supplies... wowee, now THERE is a good supply for the Virtues.

With the RWA providing juice I haven't seen those clipping lights go on almost at all.
So it's probably safe to assume in your small room the Virtue amps will deliver more than enough current. And your dancing feet will thank you!

tenantman

• Industry Participant
  • Togetherness beats all odds
    • Caprice Audio
« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2011, 10:17 pm »

As to the comment on instant current delivery vs maximum current delivery, I believe its mostly true with one exception, when battery charge levels start to fall, things can get "slow" in terms of instant response. This was my experience before I was told I needed new batteries in my power supply. Now If I can only figure out when to change them next time  :scratch:

Jack Caldwell

Batteries
« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2011, 11:41 pm »
Yeah, when SLA batteries start losing it there is definitely a loss in quality!

At present, the LiFePo4 batteries look like the best option on many fronts, not least because you can deep discharge them and re-charge many, many times without losing performance. And when you factor in that they seem to sound way better too, the significant extra cost may look like less of an issue. RedWine's LFP based supplies sound awesome... and are unlikely to ever need a new battery. Expensive? You bet. Worth the extra money? I'd have to say yes, even at the very high price. The difference in sound quality is simply too much to ignore. So what if the LFP is 2X the price of a Two.2... for a total of under $1500 you're getting a killer amp that compares well with just about anything under $10K

doorman

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2011, 12:34 am »
As has been noted "ad nauseam", so much depends upon tastes, room &c.
Back in the day I partnered a pair of the same speakers with a Linn "Majik-I, rated at 33 wpc.
Later with an Adcom @ +/- 150 wpc.
The 33 wpc amp drove them just fine. I never found them really requiring more power.
As always, YMMV
Don

dannorris1972

« Reply #7 on: 7 Mar 2011, 09:36 am »
Hi, I'm new to the forum and a new owner of the ONE.2 - it's now got about 150hrs on it. I'm in the UK and I'm using it with a pair of Linn Majik 109's. They are also closed box bookshelf speakers, and the same sensitivity and impedance as as the Keilidh's, i think. I can absolutely recommend the Virtue / Linn combo. They produce great clarity and detail without being at all harsh or overly revealing. Incredible musicality, and excellent control of bass. I think they complement each other perfectly - and that's with the stock psu.