SW-12-08

WC

SW-12-08
« on: 6 Jun 2018, 06:32 pm »
Can this driver only be connected in pairs to a A370PEQ Amp or can each one run off their own amp?

Danny Richie

Re: SW-12-08
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2018, 08:09 pm »
Can this driver only be connected in pairs to a A370PEQ Amp or can each one run off their own amp?

Either way. But the amps are rated for 4 ohm loads. So at an 8 ohm load the output of the amp will be half.

WC

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2018, 08:16 pm »
Either way. But the amps are rated for 4 ohm loads. So at an 8 ohm load the output of the amp will be half.

Thanks Danny. That is what I thought. I saw an ad for 2 of the drivers and one of the amps at a good price. I was looking to build 2 sealed subs instead of a single sealed one with 2 drivers. I will pass on those drivers, due to the reduced amp output.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2018, 08:22 pm »
I still have two of the SW-12-08 woofers in stock. So if you wanted to build two dual subs with two woofers per box, you could. Two amps and four woofers....  :thumb:

WC

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2018, 08:29 pm »
I still have two of the SW-12-08 woofers in stock. So if you wanted to build two dual subs with two woofers per box, you could. Two amps and four woofers....  :thumb:

My space isn't that large. I prefer the size of the sealed boxes with the SW-12-04 drivers in them. If I wanted to face the wrath of SWMBO, I would go for the OB subs with dual drivers over the sealed. Don't currently have the space for the OB subs.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2018, 09:41 pm »
Yeah me too.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2018, 10:37 pm »
I will pass on those drivers, due to the reduced amp output.

So... got a link?  :green:

Not that I'm trying to talk you in to it or anything  :icon_twisted: but keep in mind the floor footprint of a dual stack of these in a sealed box isn't any bigger than a single; you're just going up another foot and a half; the whole thing ends up about a meter tall all done, so finished nicely still not very imposing, unless of course you need the short height to tuck them under something?

I've had this setup before (dual 12-8 x 2) and sure it can play loud, but it is the effortlessness with which it does the thing that is so amazing.  I've also had dual single box sealed 12-4s; if I was building a music-only system and didn't need reference volume orchestra, the single driver subs will do the trick in a small to medium sized room.  If I was doing a home theater and using these drivers, a quad sealed gets you trading punches easily with folks running dual 15"s with a lot less floor real estate taken up.  I know I'm probably in a small minority of "audiophiles" that value this, but a system handling crescendos like it's barely moving (and the headroom and dynamic range that implies) is one of the benchmarks I've decided for me personally draws one of the lines between good and great systems.

I'm not sayin', but I'm just sayin'. :thumb:

WC

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2018, 01:22 am »
Check the swap meet on DIYaudio for the listing. I was already going to make the single driver subs taller and skinnier like 12” deep and 24” tall to get the volume.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2018, 02:41 am »
That is a darn good deal!

I need to keep telling myself that I don't have an account on diyaudio and have zero woodworking skills...