New member, Howdy Ya'll

jrocks29ms@gmail.com

New member, Howdy Ya'll
« on: 2 Dec 2021, 02:16 am »
Hey, I'm a returning fan of HI-FI. After dipping my feet back into the pool i forgot how intoxicating it can be. I really love music and am glad i am a little more seasoned this time around. It can be easy to be obsessed with improvement. And while i have been working on building a system i can live with for the last 6 months. I'm getting close. Now, i just want to be involved in a community of folks from whom i can learn a little bit. Share my experiences, and also find out about good music, i may not know about. I wish you all the best and look forward to having some fun and interesting talks, about all things HI-FI!!
Your friend,
Jordan

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New member, Howdy Ya'll
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2021, 02:20 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

jrocks29ms@gmail.com

« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2021, 02:49 am »
I got involved with GR research and their upgrades, I have a pair of RP600m's Im upgrading. I already did the GR research upgrade, plus mills resistors and driver dampening. I'm looking to add bypass caps to the Sonicap on the tweeter, andbypasses to the Erse Pulse X on the woofer circuit. My question is: Would i be better served with .1uf miflex copper foil caps on both mid bass and tweeter circuit, or the Miflex on tweeter only and putting some sonicap .1uf on the mid-bass?
 I'd guess the miflex are maybe a little better quality. But i also think that with this speaker a less forward sounding mid bass might be a good pairing to give a little extra life to the tweeter with the miflex on just the tweeter. Also, bypassing a sonicap on the woofer, would sort of add sonic coherence to the sonicap already on the tweeter. I thought that may provide better driver tonality. I guess that would also be the case if I used miflex all the way around, providing more of whatever signature they offer. Im interested in what folks with experience with this may think.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2021, 02:58 am »
I will move this topic to the GR Research Circle to help your question.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2021, 03:44 am »
Welcome to AC! :green:

Personally, I would stick to just putting the Miflex on the tweeter circuit, with a sonicap bypass on the woofer circuit, but if you wanted to use a miflex cap on the woofer circuit as well, I would also replace the Erse cap with a sonicap.

The miflex bypass caps will give the sonicaps a warmer, more laid-back tone without sacrificing any clarity.
Thought they can sound a bit "hard" at first, and will take a good 400-500 hours to finally relax and sound their best.
Sonicaps need about 200hrs.

Miflex bypass caps are $24 each and the sonicap Gen 3 bypass are about $8 each. Id have to get you a price for the capacitor in the woofer circuit.

Though to my knowledge, not many have done what you are considering, i know someone who is currently upgrading their Klipsch RP504C with Miflex caps in the tweeter and Mids, as well as swapping to Dayton copper resistors over the Lynks resistors we currently use.

But you're more than welcome to take them as far as you'd like  :thumb:

jrocks29ms@gmail.com

« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2021, 05:05 pm »
thanks Hobbs,
I think I may be soon approaching the law of diminishing returns on this build, especially if I take it apart and recap the woofer circuit. Thank you for your advice.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2021, 07:19 pm »
Welcome as well!