X-Statik vs NX-Otica for two channel listening

kickngas

X-Statik vs NX-Otica for two channel listening
« on: 25 Nov 2021, 09:17 pm »
I am ready to purchase a kit for two channel listening. Looking at the X-Statik and NX-Otica specifically, is there really any contest at all?  I would build a pair of OB subs to go with which ever one I decide on, but am wondering if the extra $1500ish(after X-Statik cabinet build) for the NX-Otica's is worth it. I have the room and the funds for either one.

Anyone have experience A/B comparing them, or owning one and moving to the other? Is the NX-Otica that much better?
I appreciate any and all advice here.

Thanks in advance, Nd Happy Thanksgiving!

mkrawcz

Re: X-Statik vs NX-Otica for two channel listening
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2021, 09:19 pm »
Honestly not even close. The NX-Otica is in a whole different league.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2021, 09:34 pm »
Honestly not even close. The NX-Otica is in a whole different league.

Facts.

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2021, 10:40 pm »
I have X-Statik’s… they are simply amazing speakers. But, the NX-Otica is outstandingly amazing! With OB servo subs, you are hard pressed to beat them!

Might as well get the upgrades, tube connections, sonic caps, and No res. Although without they are amazing!

Chewbacca

« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2021, 11:11 pm »
Haven’t heard the X-Statics, but just got my NX-Oticas running. No doubt, NX-Oticas. Do it once. Do it right.

Especially if you’re going OB Bass, it’s a no brainer. You don’t want boxed woofers in the mix.

kickngas

« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2021, 11:20 pm »
@Chewbacca, I have been following your build...great job! Very inspirational. I also watched the comparison of the Spatial Audio to the NX-Otica by Ron at New Record Day and was surprised by how close the two were. Interesting they were neck and neck, Bass-wise, with the OB Subs.

Tyson

« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2021, 11:31 pm »
NX-Oticas with full upgrades and OB subs are probably the best speakers in the world right now.  At least IME.

Chewbacca

« Reply #7 on: 25 Nov 2021, 11:51 pm »
Thanks, kickngas! It's been quite the journey... I wouldn't have done it any other way though!

I absolutely believe the only other speaker company that's keeping Danny in line is Spatial Audio. I think the X series is the only competitor for the NX line of GR. Everything I'm hearing with these Otica's is what most are describing with their X series.

So anyone deciding between the two needs to decide where their priorities lay. You'll spend about $3100 on the Otica Kit, Dual OB subs say ~$2500 with building materials =~ $5600. Then you need to factor your time/ability, along with any tools you don't already have for the job. My build maybe took... idk 100 hours? Maybe 120 with my Dads help? And that didn't include the subs... But I realllly took my time :lol: So what do you rate your time? $30 an hour? You can do the math on that. But, it's such an experience. I learned a lot while doing it, so I'd rate my time near free for that - Plus the pride in saying "I built that world class speaker".

NX-Otica w/ dual OB bass =~ $5600 + time spent
X5 = $7500

So depending on how you rate your time, that would be a big factor... But at the end of the day, you could probably guess which I'd rather live with... :wink:

Plus I really love the flexibility of the Rythmik Amps, in addition to being able to play flat about 10hz lower. Also the ability to move the bass cabinets around depending on the room/bass nodes etc. Some don't have the room for that though, where the Spatial may just be easier to implement - One of their biggest advantages, or in my case one of their worst qualities. I want that flexibility, and I have full rule of my listening room. All depends on what you want and need for the room, WAF etc. :thumb:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #8 on: 26 Nov 2021, 12:22 am »
It depends on how far you want to take it.  I’ve owned X-Statiks for over 10 years and listen to them everyday.  The first time I heard them I wanted them.  And the sealed woofer cabinets work just fine.  They share the same great tweeter used by the X-LS.  They easily compete with more expensive speakers.

I’ll admit I still haven’t heard the NX series.  So I can’t comment on those.  I do however have the Super 7s with all planar midrange and the same tweeter as the NX series.  This also includes the OB subs.  That planar tweeter is definitely a step up in transparency and detail yet stays smooth and never harsh sounding. 

I think of the X-Statiks as being on the lower end of high end speakers.  They are just ridiculously good for the money.  That said I’ll admit I’ve heard better speakers but those start at around $2500.  I’ve no doubt the NX series is better. 

Just remember these open baffle speakers need at least 3 feet of space behind them.  The more space you give them the more likely they’ll disappear leaving a big, beautiful soundstage. 

subsonic1050

« Reply #9 on: 26 Nov 2021, 02:30 am »
I have built the x-statiks and the nx-tremes, which are just a larger version of the oticas. The statiks are great- the nx stuff is end game level.

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #10 on: 26 Nov 2021, 05:22 pm »
The other day Jay and I were having a Mezcal after packing and he said, "some days I really miss the Ottica's" and I agree, they just do some things very, very well, particularly in certain rooms, ie medium sized. For reference, he runs some super charged Super 7's.

Cheers all, and Happy Thanksgiving to our southern friends,

Don

kickngas

« Reply #11 on: 26 Nov 2021, 10:40 pm »
@Chewbacca, Ron compared the NX-Oticas with the M3 Sapphires.  The M3 are $4950, so price wise, they would come in a couple grand less then the Oticas w/servo subs. I was impressed that they held their own in terms of bass. I know the servo subs offer some versability, but the plug and play aspect of the M3's is enticing.
Interestingly enough, I built my first GR kits in 2003, I have the capabilities of building the NX-Otica's, and prefer building my own, but am very impressed by the Spatial offerings. I wish I could hear the two back to back.

Chewbacca

« Reply #12 on: 26 Nov 2021, 10:58 pm »
Oh, it is enticing! Again, I haven't listened to them. But from people that have, I believe the X series is a bit more in line with the NX series. Again, I can't really say that though - taking words from other people.

One thing Ron didn't do with his comparison of the Bass of both the units is he had his Rythmik amps set to 14hz and low dampening. To do a valid comparison he should have set it to 28hz and high dampening IMO. The Rythmiks just play lower, so they could appear more bloated for instance - Just my .02!

I'm just so blown away by the Oticas, I'd have a hard time suggesting to do anything else.

Chops

« Reply #13 on: 27 Nov 2021, 02:47 pm »
Everyone keeps saying the Otica's are better in "every way", but that doesn't tell anyone anything.

Details are required, such as tonality, timbre, decay, transients, dynamics, inner detail, vocals, naturalness, etc, etc. Not just saying "the Statik's are great, but the Otica's are better in every way." 

mkrawcz

« Reply #14 on: 27 Nov 2021, 03:37 pm »
Everyone keeps saying the Otica's are better in "every way", but that doesn't tell anyone anything.

Details are required, such as tonality, timbre, decay, transients, dynamics, inner detail, vocals, naturalness, etc, etc. Not just saying "the Statik's are great, but the Otica's are better in every way."
Yes, better in every way period by a lot. The x-Statik's compete with $5k speakers in overall sound quality. The NX-Oticas compete with $50k and up. You really just need to hear the 2 to understand. Can't really say much more than that because the actual listening is the only way to understand. Everything else is just trusting someone's opinion before buying.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #15 on: 27 Nov 2021, 05:06 pm »
The X-Statiks are excellent while the NX-Otticas are excellenter and the NX-tremes are excellentest!

mkrawcz

« Reply #16 on: 27 Nov 2021, 05:13 pm »
The X-Statiks are excellent while the NX-Otticas are excellenter and the NX-tremes are excellentest!
Yup lol

subsonic1050

« Reply #17 on: 27 Nov 2021, 05:26 pm »
I listened to a pair of Spatial Audio Saphire M3's two to three years ago. I actually listened to them in the home of Paul from anticables out in the Minneapolis area. I was extremely underwhelmed by them. There is a good chance it was his listening room, which I thought was very poorly laid out (He had the speakers set up almost in a corner and his listening position was in the opposite corner) - but they did not make a good impression. I wish I could hear the new Spatial offerings in the same room but I would find it hard to believe that those speakers could match the Otica's.

Tyson

« Reply #18 on: 27 Nov 2021, 05:35 pm »
I listened to a pair of Spatial Audio Saphire M3's two to three years ago. I actually listened to them in the home of Paul from anticables out in the Minneapolis area. I was extremely underwhelmed by them. There is a good chance it was his listening room, which I thought was very poorly laid out (He had the speakers set up almost in a corner and his listening position was in the opposite corner) - but they did not make a good impression. I wish I could hear the new Spatial offerings in the same room but I would find it hard to believe that those speakers could match the Otica's.

I can't speak to the M series, but I can confirm that the X3's are very close to the NX series.

subsonic1050

« Reply #19 on: 27 Nov 2021, 06:05 pm »
Well I certainly trust your assessment of them Tyson. I wish I had heard the Spatial's in a better room! I went there with the intention to listen to them and likely purchase them - but I walked away really disappointed. I was scratching my head over the room layout. I suppose he was trying to get as much separation from the speakers as possible but it didn't seem like it was doing them any favors.