new installed wta

phoner

new installed wta
« on: 6 Mar 2011, 02:09 pm »
i have installed a new bearing on my wta.
now the platter is very wobbly.

with the old (originally supplied) bearing this was not so.
when i inserted the platter the axle was a tight fit into the triangular opening and would not wobble.

are there two different bearings for this tt available?

also there is audible motor noise, is this normal?

Mike Pranka

• Facilitator
Re: new installed wta
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2011, 03:23 am »
Where are you? Why did you fit a new upper main bearing to your 'table? Very early Amadeus had a square opening for the upper bearing. Triangle has been current for some time. I'm not aware that anything else has been offered. Make sure that a corner of the triangle is pointed at the motor location.  The DC motor does make noise, but should be relatively quiet with the belt installed and a load on the motor bearing.

Mike

phoner

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2011, 08:55 am »
it is a triangular type, are there different sizes of the upper bearings available ?

because the first one was a tight fit on the axle the platter could not move anywhere.

the new one apparently not because it leaves the the platter room to move away from the corner which points to the motor spindle.

is this normal that the platter can move so easily?

Mike Pranka

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2011, 05:27 pm »
No there are not different upper bearings available. A small number of very early ones had a square opening. It has been triangular for some time. Triangular is all that is available. They both operate in exactly the same way. Both allow movement of the platter (if you press on it) away from the motor location. WTL's have always been this way, going back to the 80's with the previous main bearing design. It's completely normal.

phoner

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2011, 07:12 pm »
allright thats the way it is supposed to be (also the manual says so) ;)

i was just wondering because the first top bearing i had does not allow that movement.

why is that so ? i don't know...

Mike Pranka

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2011, 07:16 pm »
The square upper bearing does allow for lateral movement, just not as much as the triangle. Perhaps yours didn't have a corner pointed correctly at the motor postion..

AshK

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2011, 10:05 am »
I've had similar platter wobble issues on two Well Tempered Simplex TTs with the triangle top bearing.

If the platter spindle isn't placed exactly in the centre of the bottom bearing well, the platter wobbles like crazy and I can see the actual spindle rotating off centre.

If I lift the platter out and reinsert it holding it only by the top of the spindle so it effectively hangs straight down, not by holding it on the sides, I can get the platter to be wobble free. Sounds strange but the manual says:

" It is most important that spindle is located correctly in the centre of the lower thrust bearing. Failure to locate the pivot point of the spindle correctly will cause the platter to rotate abnormally. The spindle has been designed to protrude through the platter to provide a central lifting point that enables the user to easily achieve this".

Maybe this is what's causing your problem?

j beede

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2011, 02:43 am »
I've had similar platter wobble issues on two Well Tempered Simplex TTs with the triangle top bearing.

If the platter spindle isn't placed exactly in the centre of the bottom bearing well, the platter wobbles like crazy and I can see the actual spindle rotating off centre.

If I lift the platter out and reinsert it holding it only by the top of the spindle so it effectively hangs straight down, not by holding it on the sides, I can get the platter to be wobble free. Sounds strange but the manual says:

" It is most important that spindle is located correctly in the centre of the lower thrust bearing. Failure to locate the pivot point of the spindle correctly will cause the platter to rotate abnormally. The spindle has been designed to protrude through the platter to provide a central lifting point that enables the user to easily achieve this".

Maybe this is what's causing your problem?

Wobbly platters, noisy motors, off center spindles... I am so happy to have my "Made in Maine" WTT.

threadkiller

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2011, 04:45 am »
Hi Mr Beede,

what's a "made in Maine" WT?  the Eddie Bauer version?