The fate of Hi-End Audio?

OzarkTom

Re: The fate of Hi-End Audio?
« Reply #80 on: 10 Apr 2020, 04:05 am »
One could easily argue it saved B&M stores. Many have told me if it weren’t for custom installation of home theater equipment, they’d be out of business. It’s easily the bread and butter of a lot of places.

There are a lot less than back in the 80's. A lot of those stores never got into home theatre. Some could not afford to. The came along Best Buy, Circuit City, and a few other major electronic stores.

genjamon

« Reply #81 on: 10 Apr 2020, 04:56 am »
Come on guys.  The internet is what killed B&M - not home theater.  Direct sales and shopping around to circumvent paying retail mark-up.  When did eBay come out again?  Audiogon? 

But back then I was in college.  And honestly had never been to an electronics retailer other than Best Buy and Circuit City.  eBay, AudioAdvisor, and Audiogon were the beginnings of a much larger world for that younger me.  If it weren't for them, I'm not sure I would have ever found a "high end" B&M retailer.  Would have moved on to other hobbies, likely. 

The internet giveth, and it taketh away.

Pundamilia

« Reply #82 on: 10 Apr 2020, 03:37 pm »
I think you need to distinguish between mass market and "Hi-End Audio". B&M chains like Best Buy do not (in general) sell "Hi-End Audio". There market positioning is what I would typify as "mid-fi". They are the ones that are most threatened by on-line sales and in fact have responded by cannibalizing their own B&M sales by offering on-line sales as an option. Their customers are not interested in "Hi-End Audio", they want decent sound quality at a reasonable cost and are willing to forgo the personal attention and level of knowledge experienced shopping in a "boutique" "Hi-End Audio" shop.

True "Hi-End Audio" audio requires personal listening and discussion with knowledgeable sales people in order to select a suitable suite of components to maximize sound quality within a certain budget constraint. Whereas mid-fi systems often tend to be off-the-shelf packages of products selected by the merchandiser, a "Hi-End Audio" system comprises individually hand-picked components to complement existing components in a customer's system or those tailored to a specific customer need. Although the internet facilitates researching and comparing components, ultimately the "Hi-End Audio" system is normally a personal choice of components made by the customer in consultation with knowledgeable B&M sales staff.

WGH

« Reply #83 on: 10 Apr 2020, 03:38 pm »
Direct sales probably helped the hi-end. After B&M stores closed many customers had no choice but to believe all the purple prose praising new products. If your stereo sounded bad with the new item then it must be something upstream or downstream and you needed another upgrade. The new gear couldn't be the problem because all the reviews and ads said it was wonderful. Forums like AC really help buyers by adding a big dose of reality.

Going to B&M stereo stores was like a religious pilgrimage, the anticipation was ecstatic. I would re-read the reviews, memorize the specifications and model numbers, make sure I had my check book before entering the hallowed halls of electronics. Tucson had Wilson Audio and Jerry's Audio Video. Wilson had the best equipment along with the friendliest laid back salesmen, it was a great place to hang out. Even Wilson Audio had to transition to selling TV's and Hi-Fi VCR's leaving less space for the good stereo stuff, eventually they couldn't compete with Best Buy and closed.

charmerci

« Reply #84 on: 10 Apr 2020, 06:41 pm »
Even Wilson Audio had to transition to selling TV's and Hi-Fi VCR's leaving less space for the good stereo stuff, eventually they couldn't compete with Best Buy and closed.
I think what we've all overlooked is what I call the Walmart Effect. Up until the 90's, people in America (well, all around the world I guess) thought that they were going to get richer as they got older - that this was the land of opportunity. So having a nice stereo was just one thing to spend your money on that you would improve as you got older as your income went up. But then two things happened, people began to realize that many people, themselves included, were not going to go from lower to middle to upper class. Then with globalization (getting cheaper products from overseas) Walmart started advertising lower prices and so I noticed that the average person still wants an item to do its job well, reliably at a lower price. People in general still want everything but really don't want to pay for it. I know many people who will drive 200 miles to buy bulk at a Costco or Walmart. Who would have done that in the 50's > 80's??? Hence the disappearance of high end audio stores.

R. Daneel

« Reply #85 on: 11 Apr 2020, 04:02 pm »
coming back.

Cassettes coming back.

Yes, it'd be nice if you could actually buy a new high-quality cassette deck, not something that really doesn't flatter the format in any way.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #86 on: 11 Apr 2020, 04:44 pm »
Yes, it'd be nice if you could actually buy a new high-quality cassette deck, not something that really doesn't flatter the format in any way.

I was just responding that both formats are come back, not the quality of it. Always been told to get with the times or suffer when it came to formats in another hobby.

There would be very few new cassettes I would consider given the quality of the art itself. Current Pop music just doesn't do it for me.

R. Daneel

« Reply #87 on: 11 Apr 2020, 05:31 pm »
I was just responding that both formats are come back, not the quality of it. Always been told to get with the times or suffer when it came to formats in another hobby.

There would be very few new cassettes I would consider given the quality of the art itself. Current Pop music just doesn't do it for me.

I agree. But the fact only certain genres of music are being released on tape contradicts the return of the format somewhat. It seems as though every time someone releases a new album on an old format someone will say it is coming back. If manufacturers saw potential in it, surely they would want a piece of the market for themselves and would come up with new machines to support the format. But as it is, the only 'proper' ones you can get thesedays are Teac/Tascam ones and they are somewhat uninspiring.

Cheers!

Joe Frances

« Reply #88 on: 1 May 2020, 04:27 am »
Since I have been listening to my system so much more during the "stay at home" days, I would think that some people would consider upgrading their equipment to improve the sound they are getting.  I know I am. 

Oh, and I don't know about tape cassettes coming back, but I am lead to believe there is a resurgence in the reel-to-reel systems.

toocool4

« Reply #89 on: 1 May 2020, 10:17 am »
I think there is more of a chance that R2R can come back as new machines are still being made, all be it at a high price. Cassette not so sure, because no real good machines are being made. From some of the reports I have come across, a lot of the people buying cassettes are buying them to have a physical media and a lot of them don’t even have players to play them on.

The only good cassette decks around are the old ones you can buy and have them serviced a brought up to spec.

For me cassettes never went away, I still have my Nakamichi tape deck and Walkman. I still use my Walkman everyday for my commute to and from work.

R. Daneel

« Reply #90 on: 2 May 2020, 01:03 pm »
I think there is more of a chance that R2R can come back as new machines are still being made, all be it at a high price. Cassette not so sure, because no real good machines are being made. From some of the reports I have come across, a lot of the people buying cassettes are buying them to have a physical media and a lot of them don’t even have players to play them on.

The only good cassette decks around are the old ones you can buy and have them serviced a brought up to spec.

For me cassettes never went away, I still have my Nakamichi tape deck and Walkman. I still use my Walkman everyday for my commute to and from work.

What new R2R machines would those be?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #91 on: 2 May 2020, 01:21 pm »

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #92 on: 2 May 2020, 01:22 pm »

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #93 on: 2 May 2020, 02:53 pm »
R2R for High Fidelity audio can be a challenging and time-consuming hobby. (Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.)

Results are dependent upon the quality of the tape stock, the accurate adjustments of both the record and  playback heads, the quality of the transmission of the waveforms from input to the tape - - and the capability of the owner not only to replace and align the heads, but also to cut and splice tape. 

If you think setting up a turntable, tone arm and aligning a cartridge are time-consuming, try to align replacement separate record and playback heads in a 10.5"reel R2R. It takes both special equipment and loads of patience. 

If you record live music, or transfer LPs to the machine, you'll soon become adept at the "Cut and Splice" capability needed to use a splice block, new razor blades and splicing tape.   Lotsa' fun! 

I had two R2R tape decks, but had to give them up when the manufacturers quit making the playback heads. I was stuck with unopened 10.5 reels of Ampex stock, plus many reels of recorded classical music.  $$$$ just sitting there.

Guess that what convinced me that the little CD s were relative bargains - - and the playback equipment no longer a hassle.

Just the Saturday morning thoughts of a now-contented  CD listener.

R. Daneel

« Reply #94 on: 2 May 2020, 02:56 pm »
https://www.unitedhomeproducts.com/reel_to_reel_hq_tape_decks.htm

That's it? Just one machine? Hardly a 'come back' if you're going to have one machine at a ridiculous price.

By the way, UHA used to modify Tascam decks so as I suspected, it is a little more than a garage operation. That doesn't necessarily bother me. What does bother me is that it is precisely these types of reviewers that declared the format 'dead' at the dawn of digital in the early eighties. Now when you have to pay 20 times more to get a new analogue deck they're saying there's nothing like it in the world.

Smart folks bought one way back and kept it and can now roll on the floor laughing at the nitwits who pay this much for something that cost 20 times less when the format was relevant.

R. Daneel

« Reply #95 on: 2 May 2020, 02:59 pm »
R2R for High Fidelity audio can be a challenging and time-consuming hobby. (Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.)

Results are dependent upon the quality of the tape stock, the accurate adjustments of both the record and  playback heads, the quality of the transmission of the waveforms from input to the tape - - and the capability of the owner not only to replace and align the heads, but also to cut and splice tape. 

If you think setting up a turntable, tone arm and aligning a cartridge are time-consuming, try to align replacement separate record and playback heads in a 10.5"reel R2R. It takes both special equipment and loads of patience. 

If you record live music, or transfer LPs to the machine, you'll soon become adept at the "Cut and Splice" capability needed to use a splice block, new razor blades and splicing tape.   Lotsa' fun! 

I had two R2R tape decks, but had to give them up when the manufacturers quit making the playback heads. I was stuck with unopened 10.5 reels of Ampex stock, plus many reels of recorded classical music.  $$$$ just sitting there.

Guess that what convinced me that the little CD s were relative bargains - - and the playback equipment no longer a hassle.

Just the Saturday morning thoughts of a now-contented  CD listener.

Agreed. I might add, what are you going to record on this tape? If it's to backup valuable vinyl then it might be OK but otherwise what is the point in recording from digital?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #96 on: 2 May 2020, 04:00 pm »
That's it? Just one machine?

Smart folks bought one way back and kept it and can now roll on the floor laughing at the nitwits who pay this much for something that cost 20 times less when the format was relevant.

+1
SQ all goes back to the orig masters.
Format is a distraction.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #97 on: 2 May 2020, 05:19 pm »
https://www.unitedhomeproducts.com/reel_to_reel_hq_tape_decks.htm

Unless people have been living under a rock, these guys have been going to audio shows for years. Every audio show they have after hours tape listening sessions.

R. Daneel

« Reply #98 on: 2 May 2020, 07:52 pm »
It is highly improbable these 'master tape' copes they are selling for hundreds of € are direct copies of the original tape. They're likely 4th or even later generation tapes. You can play a tape only so many times before it starts to degrade and it is unlikely they were able to 'borrow' B.B.King's original tape just to sell the copies. They are either 'copy of a copy of a copy' or --- tapes recorded from a digital source that was made using the original tape, or one of the earlier generation tapes. The point is, you don't know what it is that you're buying and you only have their 'good word' to base your decision on.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: The fate of Hi
« Reply #99 on: 4 May 2020, 03:32 pm »
That's it? Just one machine? Hardly a 'come back' if you're going to have one machine at a ridiculous price.

By the way, UHA used to modify Tascam decks so as I suspected, it is a little more than a garage operation. That doesn't necessarily bother me. What does bother me is that it is precisely these types of reviewers that declared the format 'dead' at the dawn of digital in the early eighties. Now when you have to pay 20 times more to get a new analogue deck they're saying there's nothing like it in the world.

My post was simply for info. No way would I spend that amount.. I do have a Sony TC-765 that has been fully serviced and has excellent SQ. Several sources for blank tape are out there.
I do enjoy using it and when recording from vinyl I get very good results. I understand why people have moved on but I wonder if they would go back to it if they could hear just how good tape can be when paired with more modern electronics.

I would agree with that. Then again look at what people spend crazy amounts of money for cables.