Outlaw Partial Open Baffle

Brad

Re: Outlaw Partial Open Baffle
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jul 2014, 11:01 pm »
Louis has been at RMAF before.  I met him there a few years back.

Details on his drivers are there on the website - they may not have been on the page specific to the one-off OB speaker though.

gab

« Reply #21 on: 26 Jul 2014, 01:35 am »
Louis has been at RMAF before.  I met him there a few years back.

Details on his drivers are there on the website - they may not have been on the page specific to the one-off OB speaker though.

Hey Brad

My point is that Louis would add more credibility to his speaker company if he would post measurements of the finished speakers and/or the driver measurements using industry standards similar to what Eminence does:

Multiple units exceed published rating evaluated under EIA 426A noise source and test standard while in a free-air, non-temperature controlled environment.
The average output across the usable frequency range when applying 1W/1M into the nominal impedance. Ie: 2.83V/8ohms, 4V/16ohms.
Eminence response curves are measured under the following conditions: All speakers are tested at 1w/1m using a variety of test set-ups for the appropriate impedance | LMS using 0.25” supplied microphone (software
calibrated) mounted 1m from wall/baffle | 2ft. X 2ft. baffle is built into the wall with the speaker mounted flush against a steel ring for minimum diffraction | Hafler P1500 Trans-Nova amplifier | 2700 cu.ft. chamber with
fiberglass on all six surfaces (three with custom-made wedges).

The only measurements I've seen on his webpage was for the DIY 7F and 7A drivers, no longer available.

I don't get the whole "proprietary" mystique that some manufacturers use. What are you trying to hide after all. More transparency would be welcome!

Regarding where they are made, I'm almost 100% sure it is made in the USA. The 7A driver that I had didn't show the manufacture country of origin. Whats the big secret? Who makes it? It would show credibility if we knew whether it was Mepco, Eminence, etc. If its made in the USA then exploit that with transparency and get ABC news Diane Sawyer to do a special news piece on it like they have been doing for they past year or so! You can do this AND maintain your proprietary and intellectual rights IMO.

Anyway I'm done with this and won't post any more about it. Sorry if I pissed everybody off.

gab

RDavidson

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jul 2014, 02:04 am »
Hey Brad

My point is that Louis would add more credibility to his speaker company if he would post measurements of the finished speakers and/or the driver measurements using industry standards similar to what Eminence does:

Multiple units exceed published rating evaluated under EIA 426A noise source and test standard while in a free-air, non-temperature controlled environment.
The average output across the usable frequency range when applying 1W/1M into the nominal impedance. Ie: 2.83V/8ohms, 4V/16ohms.
Eminence response curves are measured under the following conditions: All speakers are tested at 1w/1m using a variety of test set-ups for the appropriate impedance | LMS using 0.25” supplied microphone (software
calibrated) mounted 1m from wall/baffle | 2ft. X 2ft. baffle is built into the wall with the speaker mounted flush against a steel ring for minimum diffraction | Hafler P1500 Trans-Nova amplifier | 2700 cu.ft. chamber with
fiberglass on all six surfaces (three with custom-made wedges).

The only measurements I've seen on his webpage was for the DIY 7F and 7A drivers, no longer available.

I don't get the whole "proprietary" mystique that some manufacturers use. What are you trying to hide after all. More transparency would be welcome!

Regarding where they are made, I'm almost 100% sure it is made in the USA. The 7A driver that I had didn't show the manufacture country of origin. Whats the big secret? Who makes it? It would show credibility if we knew whether it was Mepco, Eminence, etc. If its made in the USA then exploit that with transparency and get ABC news Diane Sawyer to do a special news piece on it like they have been doing for they past year or so! You can do this AND maintain your proprietary and intellectual rights IMO.

Anyway I'm done with this and won't post any more about it. Sorry if I pissed everybody off.

gab

At the end of the day, none of the points you bring up really matter. I don't think he has any problems with "credibility" here. And measurements have nothing to do with credibility either. If you want speakers that can play ruler flat, buy headphones. No speakers, regardless of how they measure, will measure the same in your home (unless your home is an anechoic chamber or unless you listen within like 1 meter of the speakers). Regarding "secrets," I think Louis has every right to keep whatever secrets he wishes to. He put in a ton of blood, sweat, and tears over the years to get his speakers where they are today. If he feels he needs to keep info to himself to maintain a competitive edge, then more power to him. If you were in his shoes, and you were trying to maintain (or grow) a profitable business in today's economy, would you just give away your knowledge?

seikosha

« Reply #23 on: 26 Jul 2014, 11:40 am »
On meaurements FWIW, I've done crude measurements at the listening chair using the Stereophile test CD and a Radio Shack SPL meter.  I've measured Omega 3xrs, KEF LS50s, Harbeth P3ESR's, Silverline Minuets and a couple models of smaller NHT's.

Much to my absolute surprise, the Omegas measured best in my room followed by the Silverlines.  There's not a doubt in my mind that in an anechoic chamber, the Omegas would measure the worst and even I expected to see it in my setting.

Regardless, at the end of the day, I'll always choose based on my ears.  As mentioned above, I really don't think, given current measurement techniques, that one could pick one speaker over another as being better in their room.  Nothing beats listening to the candidates in your own room with your own equipment.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #24 on: 26 Jul 2014, 12:02 pm »
Not impressed, outlaw isn't what I'd call this.

The single driver in a box fundamental mantra that Louis followed for years has officially left the building. I feel betrayed.

Now we use crossovers??

Somehow his barely documented RS5 driver also works well in open baffle?

And why now do we love open baffles?

And now we're lead to believe that two drivers are better than one?  And that a larger driver wouldn't make more sense for mid/bass duties?

Rubbbq

« Reply #25 on: 26 Jul 2014, 01:37 pm »
JLM, I really feel bad for you.... Betrayel really hurts :violin:

Good Times

« Reply #26 on: 26 Jul 2014, 01:52 pm »
Not impressed, outlaw isn't what I'd call this.

The single driver in a box fundamental mantra that Louis followed for years has officially left the building. I feel betrayed.

Now we use crossovers??

Somehow his barely documented RS5 driver also works well in open baffle?

And why now do we love open baffles?

And now we're lead to believe that two drivers are better than one?  And that a larger driver wouldn't make more sense for mid/bass duties?

I would call the 1.5 a variation on the single driver concept, not a departure. There are still a whopping 9 Omega single driver models to choose from, and another handful on the Hoyt-Bedford range. How many are you after?

I also encourage you to look up the work "Outlaw", perhaps it will shed some light on the matter for you.

Wow - how DARE he deviate from the past, and try something new.

I encourage you to also look up the word "Innovation" and "Progress".

happyrabbit

« Reply #27 on: 26 Jul 2014, 01:59 pm »
Canada BoB,

I decided to keep the 2A3 amp.   I have been working on a digital amp for the 3XRS.  I started with the tpa3118 but moved on to the tas5611.   I just ordered my 4th board... 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=121479.msg1346704#msg1346704

Couple thoughts....

The 3XRS is an excellent speaker
Louis is a professional
I want to experience a dipole design
1.5 OB looks intriguing.

Dwight

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 26 Jul 2014, 09:41 pm »
Thank you to those of you who have stood by us over the last few months in the face of some harsh and unwarranted criticism.  I hope the tenor of the Omega AudioCircle changes to the enjoyable forum it was before.  I have personally never worked for or with a finer individual than Louis.  We, for the most part, think as one person, and essentially have the same set of ears.  When he describes how a particular speaker sounds, I know what to expect when I get to hear it.  Thanks again for having our back.  CR

FireGuy

« Reply #29 on: 26 Jul 2014, 10:13 pm »
Thank you to those of you who have stood by us over the last few months in the face of some harsh and unwarranted criticism.  I hope the tenor of the Omega AudioCircle changes to the enjoyable forum it was before.  I have personally never worked for or with a finer individual than Louis.  We, for the most part, think as one person, and essentially have the same set of ears.  When he describes how a particular speaker sounds, I know what to expect when I get to hear it.  Thanks again for having our back.  CR

Should you and/or Louis have the chance to be in Buffalo please send me an PM>  for some music and a few cold ones.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 26 Jul 2014, 11:44 pm »
Thank you for the invitation FireGuy.  If I'm in or near Buffalo, I'll try to get over there.

happyrabbit

« Reply #31 on: 1 Aug 2014, 11:37 pm »
Here they are  :green:

Dwight

seikosha

« Reply #32 on: 2 Aug 2014, 11:01 am »
C'mon, we know what they look like.   :D.  How do they sound?

milford3

« Reply #33 on: 2 Aug 2014, 11:26 am »
C'mon, we know what they look like.   :D.  How do they sound?

Very nice.  Love the stands.  Duel RS5's drivers are still a single source as I understand it.  And PLEASE let us know how they sound.  Great job Louis.

FireGuy

« Reply #34 on: 2 Aug 2014, 12:32 pm »
So awesome.    If these don't sound like $5-$10K speakers I'll be highly disappointed.
Please give us a review soon.  Like now.....

happyrabbit

« Reply #35 on: 2 Aug 2014, 04:59 pm »
Louis needs to call them the 1.5 SUPER JELLY 

The Speaker Stands are from Skyland.   They are 20'' tall and I have them filled with sand.

I positioned  the front baffle  3' from the back wall.  the left speaker is only 2' from the side wall so I need to move the whole setup another 1' to the right.

Louis states these speakers require @ 50 hrs of break-in. 

Dwight

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #36 on: 2 Aug 2014, 05:47 pm »
The speakers really need to be @ 5.5 ft (or more) out from the wall behind them.

Lin

milford3

« Reply #37 on: 2 Aug 2014, 05:49 pm »

The Speaker Stands are from Skyland.   They are 20'' tall and I have them filled with sand.

I positioned  the front baffle  3' from the back wall.  the left speaker is only 2' from the side wall so I need to move the whole setup another 1' to the right.

HappyRabbit, let those Outlaws break in for 50 to 100 hours before any final positioning.  As an owner of Louis's Hoyt Bedford Type 1 the sound will change dramatically.  It took me three weeks to get the HP's just right after break in.  Please enjoy those puppies.

Rubbbq

« Reply #38 on: 2 Aug 2014, 06:59 pm »
Very nice :thumb: When I spoke to Louis, he seemed very excited about the sound of this model. I, ultimately decided to go with the 1.5 monitors and I'm glad I did :green:.  The reason I chose the monitors is because I didn't feel my room is large enough to let the speakers breath. I agree with opnly bfld, you need to really pull them out into the room....Keep us posted. Enjoy

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #39 on: 2 Aug 2014, 07:44 pm »

Dwight
What amp are you currently running them with?  Please explain "Super Jelly".  Louis' speakers have always reminded me of things that are very solid, like concrete.