Sonore DIY USB Interface - USB to i2s interface

Folsom

Re: Sonore DIY USB Interface - USB to i2s interface
« Reply #60 on: 19 Jul 2015, 04:41 am »
Does this board have DC on the outputs of the DSD?

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #61 on: 21 Jul 2015, 11:19 pm »
Does this board have DC on the outputs of the DSD?

Yes.  I am pretty sure this is going to be the case for any normal USB interface.  I would think an active stage with high speed video or instrumentation opamps driving the signal through the filter(s) would work, then maybe you could could capacitor couple the input section.  This appears to be somewhat similar to what PS Audio does in the DS DAC, but with noise shaping in the FPGA.
Although I suspect Miska's (Jussi) approach is likely to produce the best performance, with upconverting everything to DSD x4 via HQPlayer on the input side.  I really doubt anyone is going to succeed with fully passive approaches, unless one is willing to accept a lot of audible spurious noise.

Folsom

« Reply #62 on: 22 Jul 2015, 01:49 am »
The DSD output is incapable of driving a passive network and then onto a volume control on it's own. Even with an easy load the DC it likely to cause problems. True, an inline capacitor can block the DC but that's just like putting in a capacitor anywhere in the signal; it has consequences.

I wonder if it's possible to DC couple the USB power before the output point?

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #63 on: 22 Jul 2015, 03:09 am »
"The DSD output is incapable of driving a passive network and then onto a volume control on it's own."

I agree with you, but in the DIYaudio thread people appear to be doing exactly that and saying it sounds good (not that I believe them).

"Even with an easy load the DC it likely to cause problems. True, an inline capacitor can block the DC but that's just like putting in a capacitor anywhere in the signal; it has consequences."

Really???  Exactly what "consequences" are going to occur to the signal you want by cap coupling the DSD?  I would expect even DSD 64 to pass right through, say a PPS film cap, without any consequences.  It is not like one needs to preserve phase relationships of low frequencies or anything, like one would with an analog signal.  I have seen plenty of very good SPDIF transmitter (some of the best actually, if not the best) designs which put a small PPS film cap in series with the signal to block DC. 

Folsom

« Reply #64 on: 22 Jul 2015, 10:33 pm »
Any inline capacitors will leave their sonic signature.

And actually the analog signal is riding on the DSD mhz signal. Essentially it's like a noisy signal from any other source except it needs buffered and recommended gain added. The one problem is that it might not come out correctly if any steps before filtration cannot maintain the bandwidth.

The DAC's that accept DSD filter, gain, and buffer. There's no actual conversion unless they're sent PCM.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #65 on: 23 Jul 2015, 01:39 pm »
Any inline capacitors will leave their sonic signature.

And actually the analog signal is riding on the DSD mhz signal. Essentially it's like a noisy signal from any other source except it needs buffered and recommended gain added. The one problem is that it might not come out correctly if any steps before filtration cannot maintain the bandwidth.
To repeat:
Really?

Folsom

« Reply #66 on: 23 Jul 2015, 02:08 pm »
To repeat:
Really?

Have you read differently? I've just started with DSD.

SCompRacer

« Reply #67 on: 6 Sep 2015, 11:38 pm »
Found a round tuit and finally installed the Sonore USB in my Buffalo III dual mono DAC. (Only had it for eight months). Works great! High marks on the board design and parts/sound quality. It replaced an Amanero module. I never assembled the isolator board for the Amanero. SMD parts are too small for me. Soldering them U.FL connectors on the Twisted Pear OTTO II digital switch was tough! OTTO switches between a Denon 3910 that exports I2S/DSD and the Sonore USB to I2S interface.

Using a laptop, Winows 8.1, JRiver.

bavmike

« Reply #68 on: 8 Sep 2015, 06:37 pm »
Nice! So you like the sound much better than the non isolated Amanero?

SCompRacer

« Reply #69 on: 9 Sep 2015, 11:22 pm »
Nice! So you like the sound much better than the non isolated Amanero?

Yes, much better SQ. Of course I must point out it isn't entirely an apples to apples comparison. I was using lengths of coax and pins connection between Amanero and OTTO II switch. Now I am using the U.FL connectors. I had a hard time assembling the surface mount devices on the Amanero isolator and never completed it, so comparing isolated to not isolated.

As pointed out, there are some nice parts on the Sonore board though. I'm sure that has something to do with it. ;)

bavmike

« Reply #70 on: 10 Sep 2015, 01:18 am »
Great stuff. BTW those are some incredibly awesome looking speakers in your profile pic :(

SCompRacer

« Reply #71 on: 10 Sep 2015, 01:56 am »
Thanks for the kind words. :D They are Salk SoundScape 8's in black limba veneer.

4est

« Reply #72 on: 20 Nov 2015, 11:48 pm »
Does anyone have DSD256 working in HQPlayer on OSX? I couldn't figure out how to get it to play. Could someone tell me the proper settings. TIA

4est

« Reply #73 on: 21 Nov 2015, 12:35 am »
Jesus, I am interested in your alternate firmware for using this with a Signalyst DSC1 requiring a 3.3v DSD enable.

vortecjr

• Facilitator
  • the sound has to be in concert with the music....
    • Sonore by Simple Design
« Reply #74 on: 29 Dec 2015, 05:05 pm »
You could use the DSD LED to trigger a switch. Proceed at your own risk though:)

Jesus R

4est

« Reply #75 on: 3 Jan 2016, 08:55 pm »
Well of course one could do that, it is quite simple but a bit of a hack("proceed at your own risk") when you stated that there is alternative firmware. Or that not the case? I could not get DSD256 to work on Mac- is that to be expected too? The first page of this thread indicates that it should work natively.

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #76 on: 4 Jan 2016, 12:27 am »
Well of course one could do that, it is quite simple but a bit of a hack("proceed at your own risk") when you stated that there is alternative firmware. Or that not the case? I could not get DSD256 to work on Mac- is that to be expected too? The first page of this thread indicates that it should work natively.

It's an assigned output signal that does exactly what you want. You need ASIO for that rate.

Jesus R

4est

« Reply #77 on: 5 Jan 2016, 12:04 pm »
Ty Jesus, forgive my questioning, but I thought I had read about an alternative firmware. I imagine I am mistaken as there would need to be a connection regardless. When not using uFL, where is the preferred output grounding point?

Seeing as ASIO is typically windows, I assume your answer is that Mac will not do DSD256. Would this also be true for Linux? Forgive my ignorance, but I am struggling to get away from using a competitors card for higher rate DSD.  It would help if you note what is what on the specifications page, but I do realize I am an outlier.

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #78 on: 10 Jan 2016, 04:50 pm »
Ty Jesus, forgive my questioning, but I thought I had read about an alternative firmware. I imagine I am mistaken as there would need to be a connection regardless. When not using uFL, where is the preferred output grounding point?

Seeing as ASIO is typically windows, I assume your answer is that Mac will not do DSD256. Would this also be true for Linux? Forgive my ignorance, but I am struggling to get away from using a competitors card for higher rate DSD.  It would help if you note what is what on the specifications page, but I do realize I am an outlier.

You would remove a uFL connector and get the ground at it's solder pad. I'm not aware of a way to currently play DSD256 with the card on a Mac or in Linux. A competitor's unit might be an option, but only you can weight the advantages and disadvantages of that option.

Jesus R

Crom

« Reply #79 on: 9 Aug 2016, 01:12 pm »
Hi all,
I'm after one of these cards. I contacted Jesus R but they are discontinued.

If anyone has one available and can post to UK, then please contact me.

Kind regards,
Crom