Ripping CDs for optimal use on Slim Devices Squeezebox V3

brett11

Hello all - Need some advice.  I am running a SB3 via the airport express.  Not ideal, but the only real way I can do it right now.  I just got the SB3 and to this point I have strictly used cds.  All of my files have been saved on my Mac as Apple lossless.  Obviously, not cd quality but better than I thought it would be. I want to have cd quality recordings and I am looking for the best method to make that happen.  Logitech suggests cd paranoia and several other "rippers"   I really want as close to audiophile I can get and maybe still use iTunes.  My wife understands it.  How can I accomplish this?  Do I need a "ripper"?  Can I use a different important method in iTunes?  Help!!  Brett

Dean100

Re: Ripping CDs for optimal use on Slim Devices Squeezebox V3
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2008, 06:20 pm »
Brett

I can't help you with this question, but I know where you can get all of the answers.

Try the forum over at Slim Devices.

Crimson

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2008, 06:30 pm »
Theoretically, Apple Lossless files once decoded/decompressed are identical to AIFF files (CD quality). As long as you have error correction enabled during importing, I'd stick with iTunes.

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2008, 03:48 pm »
Also, check The Square Forum, right here on AC.

Spidey9534

« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2008, 04:08 pm »
Also, check The Square Forum, right here on AC.

+1 on what he wrote.  :thumb:

There is a TON of good information from folks who have done exactly what you are looking to do in the Square Circle. Another good source is to go to the Slim Device's website and check out their forums for customer support that is very topical to the SB3. When I setup my SB3 I used both of these resources to make it smooth.

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2008, 07:29 pm »
Try dbpoweramp http://www.dbpoweramp.com/ they have a free 30 day trial.  I think it works great.  There is also a batch file converter, that I have not tried.

PhilNYC

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2008, 07:44 pm »
One suggestion...make sure that SlimServer is converting your Apple Lossless files to WAV prior to sending the data over the network.  This can be done in Server Settings -> File Formats.  I've found this to give better results than to let the SB do the lossless decoding....