Hush Puckies for Speakers??

San Marcos

• Music soothes the soul...
Hush Puckies for Speakers??
« on: 28 Jun 2011, 06:48 pm »
Hi, herbie. I have Big Fat Dots between the modules of my VR-4 speakers. Underneath the speakers are coupled to maple platforms with brass spikes and with brass spikes under the platforms. Floor is carpet over concrete.

Heard that coupling speakers to the floor is best.But also that wood floors sound better than concrete. So using maple platforms to get the wood floor sound. i've been looking at the Hush Puckies and should I use them between the spikes and maple platform.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Hush Puckies for Speakers??
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2011, 08:04 pm »
Hi, San Marcos. Hush Puckies would surely be beneficial, offering additional decoupling and isolation of the speakers with a little less coloration and distortion. You might not need so much of a totem pole, however, to get the best results.

VR-4 bass modules can generate a lot of mechanical acoustic energy, so you might want a little more “beef” than Hush Puckies provide. To provide superior isolation with the most sonically neutral result, I suggest replacing the spikes under the speakers with Big Fat Dots (but leave the spikes under the platforms).

I think loudspeaker reproduction is best when it is most faithful to the recorded event, not when it sounds more like wood or when it acquires any particular flavoring. Isolation/decoupling best accomplishes sonic neutrality while reducing distortion, so long as the isolation materials themselves don’t color the music or alter sonic linearity and dynamics.

Home stereo often sounds better on a wood floor not so much because of the wood’s vibrational and isolation characteristics, which can be detrimental, but because of general room acoustics. Wood floors typically have broad areas of reflective surface. A nice balance of reflective/absorptive areas can be accomplished with area rugs, furniture, etc. Concrete floors are typically covered with carpet, so you don’t have ample reflective surfaces to render the music more lively and energetic.

Though you’ll sometimes get a somewhat better vibrational interface than on concrete, coupling speakers to a maple platform does not accomplish all the acoustic advantages of a wood floor.

Steve
Herbie’s Audio Lab

San Marcos

• Music soothes the soul...
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2011, 08:30 pm »
Thnx. What about Square Fat Dots? I think they'd look pretty cool.

rbbert

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2011, 08:53 pm »
...Heard that coupling speakers to the floor is best.

Although that has been conventional wisdom for many years, some prominent acoustic engineers have questoned that lately, with both theoretical and experimental evidence showing that speaker isolation is preferable.  You probably need to test your own speakers in your own room to really know.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2011, 09:09 pm »
Thnx. What about Square Fat Dots? I think they'd look pretty cool.

Although Big Fat Dots are a little more of a proven commodity in this particular application, Square Fat Dots are very efficient and effective. They should do very well for you.
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2011, 03:14 am by Herbie »