Where to listen to MM de Capo in England / Germany ?

Jean-Claude

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I am very interested in listening to the MM de CAPO 3i since I am planning to get some new speakers after 25 years. Unfortunately there are not distributed in France.
Do you have any recommendation in England or Germany for listening places

Thanks

Jean-Claude

panderso

« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2005, 10:01 pm »
Jean Claude;
Je le regrette beacoup, qui personne n'aidez-vous, plutot.  If you check any recent edition of Hi-Fi +, you will see a number of ads from English dealers who carry Reference 3a speakers, sometimes the Dulcet is featured in the ad, sometimes de Capo i.  Otherwise, find your way to the website;
http://www.reference3a.com and e-mail them for a distributor address.  Bon chance.

toobluvr

Re: Where to listen to MM de Capo in England / Germany ?
« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2005, 11:01 pm »
Quote from: Jean-Claude
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I am very interested in listening to the MM de CAPO 3i since I am planning to get some new speakers after 25 years. Unfortunately there are not distributed in France.
Do you have any recommendation in England or Germany for listening places

Thanks

Jean-Claude

This doesn't specifically address your question, but what the heck!  I'll add my 2 cents anyway.  

I owned the 3A "i" for several years, and tried it with lots of different gear and gave it every chance to succeed.  But right off the top of my head I can think of 2 speakers that I have also owned (at similar price point, or less), and would choose in a heartbeat over the 3A.

While I found them quite transparent, detailed and revealing, I also found the 3a to be a bit dry, cool, analytical and hi-fi'ish in character.  And this is with smooth and warm tube amps.  I also found them lean with a bit of an offensive peak in the upper mids/lower treble.  Because of this, they always got a bit too insistent, strident and biting when I tried to turn them up.  I know others do, and report good success, but based on what I heard, I couldn't imagine using solid state on them.

You don't need to look far to find wonderful speakers right there in France.  I refer specifically to the JM Reynaud line.  I much preferred my Twins over the 3A.   Not as detailed and clean, but intoxicating in the way it portrays the music as an organic whole.  It gets right to the heart of the performance and portrays it in an emotional way.  Good body, texture, nuance and flow.  A very musical and charming little speaker.  I suspect the pricier JMR Trente and Offrandes would stomp the 3A as well...at least in my opinion, and for my tastes.

Heck, right across the channel you have Spendors.  Their classic series will give you that traditional warm, full and musical Spendor sound.  The S series is a more modern sound, but still very inviting, charming and musical.  

I also much prefer my Spendor S6 to the 3A's.  The new S?'e' lineup has been receiving very high praise.  I am so impressed with the now-discontinued S6 that I would not hesitiate to buy higher up in the line.  I do believe you can get the S8e or S9e used for less than a new pair of 3A's.

If you prefer music, emotion and involvement over "hi-fi",  make sure you consider these.....among others.

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2005, 11:13 pm »
What some find musical, others may find dark and boring.  Go listen to the Reference 3a's for yourself and decide.  I owned them for quite some time and loved them, though used them with tubes.  I personally like the sound of the MMDCI's more than new Spendors, so to each their own. :)

Michael

panderso

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2005, 11:32 pm »
Yes, lots of fine contenders from France and England.  If you want to put up the best from Reference 3a, I suggest you audition the new Veenas if you have the chance.  I think they are a very substantial evolutionary leap above the de Capos and the Dulcets, for very little more money.

-paul anderson'

toobluvr

« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2005, 12:11 am »
Quote from: mcrespo71
What some find musical, others may find dark and boring.  Go listen to the Reference 3a's for yourself and decide.  I owned them for quite some time and loved them, though used them with tubes.  I personally like the sound of the MMDCI's more than new Spendors, so to each their own. :)

Michael

no doubt about individual taste.......and that you should always trust your own ears and go where they lead you.

I know the 3A has a very wide following.
That's why I tried them.

All I can say is that all my visitors, be they people entrenced in the hobby or not, all heard in my 3A's exactly what I describe above, and also unanimously preferred the other two speakers I mentioned.

But I concede it could be me that's got it wrong.  I'm one of the few people on earth who thinks the Merlin VSM (yes, I owned them too) are lean, etched, forward, hi-fiish, dry and analytical.....and yes, fatiguing.   This despite all the slobbering done over them by reviewers and individuals alike.  

In the extended period I owned them and tried to make them work, I never once heard them sound in a manner deserving of the lavish praise so often bestowed upon them.

In my estimation they are way over-hyped and way overpriced.

I think Zybar is with me on this one, and sums it up best.
Upon hearing them at my place, his comment to me was:  "I wouldn't listen to these things if you GAVE them to me!".

Jean-Claude

« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2005, 06:45 am »
Well, interesting answers....

I had a listen to different SPENDOR speakers which I found OK but not specially better to my ears than my current "old" speakers . Let's say the VFM is not up to what I thought.
I had also a listen to the JMR OFFRANDE which are for me too "polite", laid back.
By chance I found a place in Brussel which is selling REFERENCE 3A speakers. It is only a 2 1/2 hours drive from Paris (that is nothing for you Canadians or Americans  :wink: ).
The choice of new speakers is a very sensitive one since you may change easily electronics or sources . Your speakers should charm your ear and be integrated within your environment.

Jean-Claude

toobluvr

« Reply #7 on: 8 Dec 2005, 03:37 pm »
Quote from: Jean-Claude
Well, interesting answers....

I had a listen to different SPENDOR speakers which I found OK but not specially better to my ears than my current "old" speakers . Let's say the VFM is not up to what I thought.
I had also a listen to the JMR OFFRANDE which are for me too "polite", laid back.
By chance I found a place in Brussel which is selling REFERENCE 3A speakers. It is only a 2 1/2 hours drive from Paris (that is nothing for you Canadians or Americans  :wink: ).
The choice of new speakers is a very s ...

Spendor has many "lines".  Did you listen to the "S" series?  This is the one with the more "modern" sound.  I have a pair of Spendor S6 set up in my "junior" system (assembled for $3000 total, all bought used) , and visitors are always impressed with the sound coming from such a "modest" system.

What are your current speakers?

If you found the Offrande too polite, I'm not surprised you didn't like the musical (some say too laid back and polite?) Spendors.  In my experience, Spendors seem to be voiced more in that direction than Offrandes.  I only heard the Offrande in one setting, and to my ears, it bordered on the lean and forward/aggressive side.

Our differing perceptions on these speakers may be due to gear and room differences.  Or it may be due to different priorities and preferences in reproduced sound.

Based on the little you have revealed here in terms of your tastes, I sense that you prefer a more forward and lively sound.  In which case, you should definitely consider the 3A's.

Happy hunting!

Jean-Claude

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2005, 07:08 am »
Good morning,

I have ARC 101 speakers (vintage 1982) partnered with NAIM gear (CDX2/82/SC/250) but I am currently trying tube electronics (AUDIO NOTE)...Of course I know that it is difficult to find "allround" speakers suiting to both technologies..
I have listened so far to SPENDOR S8 / LINN ESPEK / KEF 205 / LIVING VOICE AVATAR / JMR OFFRANDE / AUDIO PHYSIC VIRGO III / PROAC D15/D25 / VIENNA ACOUSTICS BEETHOVEN BABY.

I have appreciated  AP VIRGO III and Vienna Acoustics which I listened with transistors, so far not with tubes..I am looking for speakers which are not too bulky...nice finished...

Regards