SAE 1000E MC cartridge

madog99

Re: SAE 1000E MC cartridge
« Reply #60 on: 19 Nov 2011, 12:56 am »
Is the Adcom cartridge same as the SAE?

Both were made by Coral but might be some differences ?

Gopher

« Reply #61 on: 19 Nov 2011, 01:22 am »
Is the Adcom cartridge same as the SAE?

Its unlikely I'll be comparing them in my rig, however, I told Sunnydaze he can christen my LT if he wants and he just mounted his own E.   Maybe he'll chime in when it happens.  My E was dialed in perfectly with azimuth executed by fozgometer (which was borrowed) so I don't want to lose what I have.

madog99

« Reply #62 on: 19 Nov 2011, 01:36 am »
Its unlikely I'll be comparing them in my rig, however, I told Sunnydaze he can christen my LT if he wants and he just mounted his own E.   Maybe he'll chime in when it happens.  My E was dialed in perfectly with azimuth executed by fozgometer (which was borrowed) so I don't want to lose what I have.

I can see that it would be a big pia to swap .having lived with 1 cart for 30 years and then picking up tables with removable headshells went on a bit of a binge . But I don't envy the task of mounting carts and dialing them in on a fixed arm . It is a chore , but with the benefits of better sonics I am sure ! But as you say you may notice some slight difference between the 2 on your buddy's table even if that is not a real test .

Gopher

« Reply #63 on: 19 Nov 2011, 01:47 am »
not a real test for me, but he's an ACer and has posted in this thread and will likely provide the comparisons you are seeking.  :)

DaveyW

« Reply #64 on: 19 Nov 2011, 07:46 am »
Hi Guys,
I've been following this tread with much interest, thanks for keeping the tic-tac going  :thumb:

I really, really don't need another cart, but you're doing a mighty fine job of trying to convince me otherwise  :icon_twisted:

I know there's been a little bit of this in the thread so far, but are any of you able to expand a little further on what carts you've used in the past and what the SAE adds to the party?

Good stuff
Dave

tomytoons

« Reply #65 on: 19 Nov 2011, 12:46 pm »
I gave an earlier indication of what it does, adding it has a very musical flow with emotion. How's that? It's better than a Benz Glider 2 I had, but did not do a direct comparison. Just damn nice for the $$. I'm sure you could re-sell it too.
I was so impressed I just ordered the "lt" version.
I also just sold my quite new condition Denon DL103R, the SAE killed it.

Buy one, I want to see how it compares to your Denon DL-S1.
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2011, 02:42 pm by tomytoons »

madog99

« Reply #66 on: 20 Nov 2011, 05:32 am »
Hi Guys,
I've been following this tread with much interest, thanks for keeping the tic-tac going  :thumb:

I really, really don't need another cart, but you're doing a mighty fine job of trying to convince me otherwise  :icon_twisted:

I know there's been a little bit of this in the thread so far, but are any of you able to expand a little further on what carts you've used in the past and what the SAE adds to the party?

Good stuff
Dave

Davey , here is my list,not real hi end carts but these are all mounted at this time

AT155LC
Grado green
Grado 8MZ
Denon DL110

the 8MZ is the runner up to my ears

DaveyW

« Reply #67 on: 20 Nov 2011, 08:52 am »
Thanks Gents,

TomyT: Over the last couple of years I've thrifted down my cart collection to a handful of my fav. keepers covering MM, MI and MC bases.
Still too many though to be tempted to add another at this stage - but this thread has put the SAE at the top of the "Next Up List"  :D

Good to know the references that you guys are using.
Cheers
Dave

Ericus Rex

« Reply #68 on: 29 Nov 2011, 06:27 pm »
Been eyeing this thread with great interest.  But I, like Davey, need another cartridge like I need a hole in my head.

Did the SAE vs. Shelter match ever happen, Simoon?

If the cart works with arms  of 6-11 gr effective mass then what general category of compliance would that fall into?

Gopher

« Reply #69 on: 29 Nov 2011, 06:30 pm »
Ive owned the shelter 501 mk2 and the Sae 1000e is easily better and the LT is supposedly a step up from the e.  Seriously, these things are stupid good.

tomytoons

« Reply #70 on: 29 Nov 2011, 07:19 pm »
I got the "lt" yesterday and mounted it.
Excellent, and better than the "e" version.
As Fred said stooopid good.

sjaakhuijsman

« Reply #71 on: 11 Dec 2011, 08:41 am »
Hello everybody,

it's my first post on this forum. So I will introduce myself shortly.

I am male (sorry guys)
I enjoy vinyl for about 15/20 years and I am 37 years old.

I have played with Technics SL120 (with ADC LMF1), Thorens TD150, 160, DUAL 701, Sony PS-X70 and Sony PS-X800 :D
I used several ADC carts, Denon 103vdH, Denon DL160, SAE1000LT and Micro Seiki MC4100/e  :D
I have played a long time with YBA3 preamp  :duh:, but at the moment I use a Lehman Black Cube with super duper power supply  :D :D
My pream is an oldie but goodie kenwood Basic C2
The Power Amp are modified Quad 303 (yes very old, I know...)
My speakers are two way transmissionlines, IMPULSE 44 - with extremely lowwww Basssssss :thumb:

So.

My point is:

sssst........I don't like the SAE 1000 LT........

I my setup at that time (with YBA preamp - not so good - and PS-X70 the highs were not so refined as I expected and bass was not so great either. I guess I also found the cart not so musical, if you know what I mean?
I really tried the cart, but it was no succes for me. I liked the DL160 a lot better. Still like ADC's a lot too. I sold it for a lot less than I paid for it  :duh:

All this is of course very subjective and it all depends on your setup and the music you play and like.

Greets,

Sjaak
Amsterdam

sjaakhuijsman

« Reply #72 on: 11 Dec 2011, 09:16 am »
Hello,

I would like to add to my previous post that I really took the time to make the cart sing. I tried several headshells, light and heavy. And after the PS-X70 I purchased the PS-X800 and tried the SAE with that TT.
I never tried the SAE with the Black Cube phono, which would have made a difference I guess.

I am not so lucky with all 'BigBangForTheBuck' cartridges. I had my DL103 retipped by mr. AaltJouk van den Hul with a vdHtype1 diamond and boron cantiliver. I tried that one with my Dual and later with my PS-X70. I used lundahl tranformers, and no musical bliss here either. :cry:
Again, I have to say, I never used it with my black cube.

The difference between YBA with phono and the Black cube with huge PS is substantial, but I am getting of topic now... :roll:

Reading this topic and all succes stories, makes me wonder: did I do something wrong?  :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #73 on: 12 Dec 2011, 02:41 pm »
Hi Sjaak, Welcome,
Interesting posts after all the raves about the SAE. I'm not really surprised results weren't great with the PS-X70. IMO it's a little hard to find a great match for that arm. It is a little surprising the VDH 103 didn't do better on there. That's assuming VDH kept the compliance the same. Perhaps the SUT wasn't a great match?

The difference between YBA with phono and the Black cube with huge PS is substantial, but I am getting of topic now... :roll:

Reading this topic and all succes stories, makes me wonder: did I do something wrong?  :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

I suspect you answered you own question. Why didn't you try the Black Cube if it's much better? Apparently the PS-X800 was new. It's hard to max performance with new stuff when there are too many variables. It helps having a frame of reference. But I really get the feeling that phono/preamp performance let you down. I have an expensive phono stage. If I'm playing records in another room, I get nowhere near that level of performance unless I move the phono stage. Could this be the problem?
neo

tomytoons

« Reply #74 on: 12 Dec 2011, 03:41 pm »
I used a Black Cube SE+ with the optional Power Supply although good, it was a bit sterile and analytical sounding. After that I ran a EE Mini Max Phono. I then had a Nova Phononmena it was much nicer not to mention the adjustments on it. All of these NOT used with the SAE 1000lt or the "e" and with different tables and arms over the years.

The 1000lt with my Jasmine on a maxed out P5 is as I said stoopid good. Keeping in mind what I'm hearing in my setup is very revealing and $1300 in WyWires connected helps too. It is setup perfect and I'm anal about this stuff. Sooo...

As in all things audio YMMV in each of everyone's systems. That is why I usually never make recommendations unless off board or directly asked.
On Vinyl Engine someone commented they also didn't like it till they optimized their table setup. Very important with all tables. You can't just use a 2 point cardboard protractor. Just my opinion before people  :flame:
Oh, since I have complained about experts here in the past, I am not claiming to be one. I do know enough after 30 years dorking around with this stuff.

steve k

« Reply #75 on: 12 Dec 2011, 04:29 pm »
I've briefly skimmed this thread and didn't see this comparison so sorry if I missed it. Has anyone compared the SAE 1000 to the Grado Sonata Reference?

Thanks,

steve k

TheChairGuy

« Reply #76 on: 12 Dec 2011, 05:10 pm »
Hi and welcome, sjaakhuijsman.

I'm not a moving coil kinda' guy...I hear too many glaring weaknesses in their presentation.  I get that they are electrically superior to moving magnets/irons, but perhaps it's as Grado states and that they are hopelessly mechanically compromised :scratch:

That said, there is something very different about the Denon moving coils.  To me, I simply don't hear the vices that I do with the other MC's I've heard and used. Overall, I've been considerably drawn to moving irons - the old ADC's and the new Grado's. 

All moving irons - so be it.

I've not tried and likely not heard the SAE under discussion, but trust your ears.  If you don't like it, for whatever reason totally within you, it's likely not good (for you)

John

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #77 on: 12 Dec 2011, 10:33 pm »
I don't know why Sjaak didn't get good results w/SAE. I've never heard the YBA3 or his system for that matter. My answer was mostly speculation based on the info he gave. I am familiar with the arm on the Sony. The other Sony (800) is a linear tracker.

I have played a long time with YBA3 preamp  :duh:, but at the moment I use a Lehman Black Cube with super duper power supply  :D :D
My pream is an oldie but goodie kenwood Basic C2
Sjaak
Amsterdam

I agree with Tommytoons. Sometimes it takes some effort, changing things around, adjusting etc to get it really singing. As far as this cart(s) goes, I've now seen similar threads on 3 different forums. Seems like an awful lot of people are getting good results. The 501 isn't the only $1K cart it's bettered or been compared to. That's pretty good company for $200.

I've personally experienced excellent carts of all types. That mechanical disadvantage of MCs is mostly BS today, however they do tend to make greater demands on the rest of the record player. At one point I had a Pioneer PC-401MC, HOMC on the same Sony arm and it was sweet.
I guess YMMV

sjaakhuijsman

« Reply #78 on: 13 Dec 2011, 07:33 pm »
Hello guys,

I guess I didn't do anything WRONG.......there was just a situation :rotflmao:

Seriously.
After using the YBA for many years I tried the Kenwood after reading user reviews on the web. For 100 Euro's I could just try it...How could that oldie be better than my super-hi-de-high-endish YBA? Well....it was better.
Great. I felt stupid and happy at the same time. Just like with my wife so to speak  :inlove:
After that I was triggered to try a new phono pre amp. The Lehmann was offered for 100,-- Euro. Great Deal!!!!
A hefty Power Supply was easilly made - and fun to do.
Somewere along the way I also switched to the micro seiki cartridge. Ultra low output - only 0,1 mV - so I made a Cinemag SUT. :eyebrows:
And somewhere along the way I sold the PS-X70 and bought the PS-X800  :dance:

Of ourse I would like to try the SAE once more in my current setup...and of course I would like to try the DL103vdh again. But I guess that's not going to happen. So all I can do is   :rock: :wine: :dance: :bounce:

And that's not so hard with my current setup  :D

Grtz.

Sjaak

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #79 on: 13 Dec 2011, 09:06 pm »
LOL Sjaak.  What are you running now? Still got the X800 and the Lehmann? How about the Micro Seiki?  :bounce: :?: :dunno: