SAE 1000E MC cartridge

Gopher

Re: SAE 1000E MC cartridge
« Reply #40 on: 25 Oct 2011, 01:34 am »
Well, I'm looking forward to joining the club.  My 1000E came today and I'm quite eager to get it on my Stogi S to see how it fairs compared to my buddy's very worn Dynavector 20xH.  Maybe I'll have time to mount and fozgometer it this weekend.  Should be interesting.  Maybe a 1000LT is in my future as well.

madog99

« Reply #41 on: 25 Oct 2011, 01:56 am »
That stogi must be a pretty awesome sounding rig . I found my LT's did need 15-20 hours to start sounding nice though .

simoon

« Reply #42 on: 25 Oct 2011, 04:39 pm »
I'm almost regretting recommending this cartridge  :wink:

I might have to order another one just to make sure I have one available for the future. After all, the supply is limited.

No, seriously, I'm glad others can take advantage of this incredible deal on this little beauty. This thing really does outperform that $200 price tag.

Gopher

« Reply #43 on: 5 Nov 2011, 10:50 pm »
today Sunnydaze and I tackled mounting my 1000e on my Kuzma Stogi s arm and its a really fantastic cartridge  for the dollar.  We went through a very thorough setup, using a fozgometer for azimuth and this thing is great fresh and improving by the minute.

warmth, immediacy, emotion beautiful tone and great bass.  We were both pretty astounded by how good this thing is and we both preferred it to the dynavector 20xH that was mounted before it. 

these things are steals and I'm going back in months or so when I have a few extra bucks and picking how 1000lt.

sunnydaze

« Reply #44 on: 6 Nov 2011, 02:46 am »

The SAE sounded excellent, Fred -- way beyond my expectations.  Enjoy!

Hmmmm, I may have to get me one!       :thumb:

John

Gopher

« Reply #45 on: 6 Nov 2011, 03:31 pm »
You ain't kidding, John!  Its already significantly better then when you left yesterday!  I don't know if the Dyna was a fair fight as it had high hours, but either way, this thing is very good in absolute terms. 

I'm wondering now if I should buy a line trace or save my cash and treat this thing to a top of the line sound-smith retip when the time comes to see just what this can do with a state of the art needle as I know this works and a back up cartridge thats over 30 years old isn't overly assuring... 

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #46 on: 6 Nov 2011, 05:06 pm »
You ain't kidding, John!  Its already significantly better then when you left yesterday!  I don't know if the Dyna was a fair fight as it had high hours, but either way, this thing is very good in absolute terms. 

I'm wondering now if I should buy a line trace or save my cash and treat this thing to a top of the line sound-smith retip when the time comes to see just what this can do with a state of the art needle as I know this works and a back up cartridge thats over 30 years old isn't overly assuring...

This thread is really enticing. He must have had a load of these carts in Canada. I figured they'd be sold out by now.

Gopher,
Because it already has a boron cantilever, a micro re-tip will cost $450. It's harder to re-tip an exotic cantilever than it is to replace the whole assembly. The new tip has to be glued on the old cantilever. The policy is to not replace an exotic cantilever. Sometimes it might be near impossible depending on the body construction.

Interesting to read about the Dyna 20xH comparison.  I wonder what you would have said if you compared the LT instead of the E. If the 20x tip wasn't worn out, I think it might have had an advantage, being broken in. Did you run both at 47K ? Davey W has it on his site and the 20xH seems to benefit from a 1K load, at least on his set-up. I wouldn't worry about it being over 30 yrs old. There's not much to wear out, maybe the tip and suspension wire.

For those of you who have the SAE, I think everyone would find further comparisons interesting. We know it's better than the $200 price tag, but how much better?
neo

Gopher

« Reply #47 on: 6 Nov 2011, 05:24 pm »
thanks for that information, neo.  I guess it makes more sense to get a backup SAE then.  The question will be whether to get a 1000lt which should be technically better or another 1000e which I know I like...

roscoeiii

« Reply #48 on: 6 Nov 2011, 05:50 pm »
Well, I'd try to get in touch with Peter at Soundsmith. He certainly has more experience with this than any of us. He could give an idea if replacing the stylus assembly of such an old cart makes more of an improvement than retipping and keeping the boron cantilever and other internals.

I've just sent a DV XX-2 with a broken cantilever to him for a rebuild, so I'd be curious as to his thoughts on Boron vs. the ruby cantilevers he installs. Hope to compare the rebuild to a stock XX2 at some point once I get the SS cart.

madog99

« Reply #49 on: 6 Nov 2011, 10:52 pm »

I kept track with pen and paper and sides played and I can say after 12-15 hr's it started to sing and then got better with more time . I was somewhat underwhelmed the first 10 hours or so but it came on after that mark and continued to sound better .Hope yours works the same .
cheers
John

Gopher

« Reply #50 on: 7 Nov 2011, 06:48 pm »
Yeesh.  I'll just buy a backup line trace, but I suspect it will sit for a long time as I'm very happy with my 1000e so far.  In fact, I just committed to buying a 1000lt as did my buddy who helped instal it commit to a 1000e.

They really are good enough to want a backup.

Take advantage while its around.  According to Alfred stock is getting pretty low.

tomytoons

« Reply #51 on: 10 Nov 2011, 01:18 am »
Talked with Alfred today, I also ordered an "e" version, his recommendation again. He should know he has at least 60 tables there.
It sounded like he still had quite a few of both models. Like 200!

Looking forward to hearing it.

roscoeiii

« Reply #52 on: 10 Nov 2011, 03:01 am »
simoon and madog,

You seem to be the ones who have tried out the LT. ANy thoughts on its sound signature? Simoon, how does your experience line up with the seller's description? How's the bass on the LT?

madog99

« Reply #53 on: 13 Nov 2011, 05:00 pm »
simoon and madog,

You seem to be the ones who have tried out the LT. ANy thoughts on its sound signature? Simoon, how does your experience line up with the seller's description? How's the bass on the LT?

There are some sound clips floating around , this guy did  Time out at hi rez on his linear tracking TT with the SAE , there are other's over at AK also .

It's a big file .
http://www.filesonic.com/file/2172785764/Dave_Brubeck_Time_Out_Sample.flac

tomytoons

« Reply #54 on: 14 Nov 2011, 02:01 pm »
"File deleted"

madog99

« Reply #55 on: 14 Nov 2011, 11:24 pm »
"File deleted"

I guess he flushed it , so here is a link to my rip of the Brubek tune , it's the last one on the list  , " SAE CA "  done with a stock TD160 and Clearaudio Nano . Big file 50mg , wave

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=43944d23f1c630cc&Bsrc=EMSHOO&Bpub=SN.Notifications&id=43944D23F1C630CC%21767

Hope that gives you an idea of the sound at least , of course better turntables will bring out more .

tomytoons

« Reply #56 on: 18 Nov 2011, 06:12 pm »
The "e" arrived today. What a nice cartridge!
It does have a great midrange, nice depth with instrument separation. Excellent right and left balance, this is where I hear rhythm and pace.
30 years old? Yikes! This just after 3 hours of play.
It's past my Dyna 10X5 and 103R. For $200 I don't think there is anything that can touch it.

Highly recommended. I want another one.
I shouldn't post this they're going to be gone.

Gopher

« Reply #57 on: 18 Nov 2011, 06:32 pm »
The "e" arrived today. What a nice cartridge!
It does have a great midrange, nice depth with instrument separation. Excellent right and left balance, this is where I hear rhythm and pace.
30 years old? Yikes! This just after 3 hours of play.
It's past my Dyna 10X5 and 103R. For $200 I don't think there is anything that can touch it.

Highly recommended. I want another one.
I shouldn't post this they're going to be gone.

I told ya!!!

It gets better with time too.  :green:

I went back and bought a backup 1000LT to the 1000E I already have mounted.

madog99

« Reply #58 on: 18 Nov 2011, 11:54 pm »
I told ya!!!

It gets better with time too.  :green:

I went back and bought a backup 1000LT to the 1000E I already have mounted.

I am very interested to hear what the dif between the E & LT is . I might be tempted again  :nono:

xsb7244

« Reply #59 on: 19 Nov 2011, 12:20 am »
Is the Adcom cartridge same as the SAE?