Right Channel Only Surface Noise/Crackle with new Audiomods arm

roscoeiii

Help folks! I just got my Audiomods Series 4 tonearm, and I am getting a crackle that sounds like surface noise coming only out of my right speaker. It is a bit intermittent but there more often than not. Consistently getting this across records and many of these records have just been cleaned. I was not getting this with my previous RB301 tonearm. Volume and number of times I hear the noise also varies from record to record, and within record.

Left speaker is clear as day. And my set-up is usually very free of surface noise. It's the fact that this is only happening in the right channel that is driving me bonkers and has me thinking something isn't set-up right.

Any advice from you vinyl set-up experts out there is much appreciated.

steveblezy

I have been running an audiomods arm for years and have never heard of such a thing, but..... there is one thing that I would check. I will try to describe it the best that I can. The bearings that hold the arm to the yoke are adjustable to the left and right. Before you tighten down the "caps" with the little hex screws, make sure that the arm itself is perfectly centered. Damn this is really hard to describe without a picture. Make sure that the arm is completely centered. Originally I had a few tracking problems with mine until one day I took a look and discovered that my arm tube was slightly off to one side. I loosened up the hex screws on top and centered the arm. No more issues after that. This may be the problem.

Steve

steveblezy

is the surface noise the same on the outer, middle and inner grooves?

steveblezy

Damn, I forgot to mention. Once you know that the arm is perfectly centered to the vertical pivot point, check your pivot to spindle distance. Jeffs arms (at least the older series) had an asymmetrical design that allowed you to fine tune the distance. You could be looking at a combination of issue leading to tracking errors.

roscoeiii

Thanks I will take a look at that. Still waiting to hear from Jeff at Audiomods (I did e-mail him on the weekend, so no surprise I haven't heard yet).

roscoeiii

It is present outer, middle and inner. Maybe a bit more common and louder on the outer part of the LP? But I haven't listened closely enough to be certain about that.

Ericus Rex

To eliminate the possibility of a wiring problem within the arm you can switch the L & R leads at the cartridge.  If the problem changes to the left channel then the problem is in your cartridge or setup.  If the problem stays in the right channel it's the wiring in the arm.  Have you cleaned all the contact points on your cartridge?  Were the headshell leads a snug fit or a little loose?

roscoeiii

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Ericus Rex wins a gold star!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

After a fresh install of the arm following some trouble shooting suggestions from Jeff at Audiomods (a great and helpful guy BTW), I swapped the leads at the cart, and the crackling noise remained in the right speaker. Though it is softer and less frequent, it still remains.

I have tried contact cleaner on the wires of the phono cable, and am now waiting to hear back from Jeff at Audiomods on his suggestion.

:thumb: :thumb: Stevebleezy  :thumb: gets a silver star. The arm wasn't in fact properly centered in between the two caps of the yoke for the arm. So that might have contributed to the greater frequency  of the problem earlier (or not  :dunno:).

Can't wait to get this arm dialed in, trouble free. Maybe it needs to go back to Jeff, but I hope not.

Thanks for all the help here, and please keep any suggestions you may have coming. 

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Now swap the cables from the tone arm/turntable at the phono preamp input jacks.

This is to make sure the problem is not in the phono electronics themselves.

If the problem is in the turntable/arm/cartridge it will change channels.  If the issue stays in the same channel, the issue is not with the turntable/arm/cartridge but with the phono section of your preamp, or possibly with the interconnect cables between the turntable and the preamp.

If the problem does change channels, then it is with the turntable assembly.  Likely if the problem did not change channels when you swapped the cartridge leads channel to channel, there is an issue with the internal audio wiring in the tone arm itself.  This is typically a nasty one to deal with.

Frank Van Alstine

roscoeiii

Thanks Frank.

I know that the problem isn't the electronics since I put back on my RB301 tonearm to confirm that the problem was the arm, not my cart. No problems at all with the RB301 at all. So cart and phono stage both ruled out as culprits.

bluemike

You're in good hands
Jeff at Auidiomods will make it right  :thumb:

That arm once optimally set up  will make you very happy

Kt77

Hi Roscoe, Just in case you missed this review?:  http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audiomods/1.html there are time when every little bit helps. Once again - beautiful table, it was one of the options other then a Kuzma Stabi that came to mind when I was looking into a WTA GTA awhile back. Enjoy it for years to come as it has always been one of the best balanced tables I've ever heard to date. Regards,Oscar

roscoeiii

Thanks guys. Yes, I am sure it will all get resolved.

But right now, ugh. Putting a cherry on an all-around awful week, last night I snapped my cantilever on the SoundSmith rebuilt XX-2. How? Well the Audiomods noise was driving me batty and I wanted to listen to the 45RPM Black Lion Monk LPs on a silent table. So when swapping out the arm for my RB 301, the cantilever hit the platter and snap! Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

The Monk did sound great with the RB301 and a Shure 91ED with a JICO SAS. But damn, really a broken cantilever on top of all else? Back to SoundSmith it goes... 

Kt77

Hi Roscoe, I'm more then certain it will come together for you in time - but I know that you just got your XXmk2 back, talk about hurt I can only imagine your pain at this point. Yet once again " It'll all come to pass ". Cheers,Oscar

roscoeiii

Thx Oscar. Yes, I am hoping that by concentrating all kinds of brutal stuff in a single week it will be smooth sailing for the rest of the year. Right?

Kt77

Hi Roscoe, I for one must thank you for being kind enough awhile back in directing me towards the WTA, as mentioned I was thinking long and hard about a Townshend Rock VII as well. It seems to me you've found a very capable alternative - it's just a matter of being more careful in how you handle your cartridges. Yet I know that you'll get through it. Please keep me posted on your arm situation - as it appears to be a nice choice as well. The only arms I've seen on Elite Rock II's in the pass were Grado's and I must say I've never forgotten that sound - and looking at yours I know it's on another level all together. You'll be alright. Have a great weekend knowing that " It's merely the beginning of the Honeymoon ", she'll act right in time. Peace,Oscar

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Hi Roscoe,
Sorry to read about these troubles.  You've had enough grief for hopefully, at least a few years.  I've had extensive phone conversations with Peter Ledermann a couple times.  He re-tipped my Genesis 1000 and put a new ruby cantilever/line contact on a 304.  He's a really nice guy.  I think if you tell him what happened, he'll probably give you a break.  I suggest giving him a call. Saturday might be a good day to catch him. Repair will prob take a few months anyway. Good luck.
neo

orientalexpress

Make sure u fill out those custom form correctly or have jeff make a fedx pickup slip for the repair.The UK custom still have mine somewhere in there warehouse,Jeff went out his way and make me another Arm.Jeff is freaking awsome  :thumb:.

Lapsan