It is done !.....DIY Record Cleaning Machines

guest48077

It is done !.....DIY Record Cleaning Machines
« on: 31 Jul 2009, 04:55 am »
Well It is final done. I completed my first DIY Record Cleaning Machine yesterday and it turned out pretty good IMO. I originally started to mimic VPI's Record cleaning machine looking at various designs on the net. I will try to explain what I did the best I can with out going into too much detail. Over all this was not too hard, though it did take planning, patients and a bit of R& D to get it right.

MATERIALS -
Small Shop Vac $40
Wood ( I broke a piece so I had to buy another.....stillhave more) about - $40
Stain (have some left over) - $5.50
Clear Coat (have some left over) - $7
Small DC Motor - $7.50
Velvet Ribbon - $4
Hose - $6 (have some left over)
Various plumbing Part - about $4(have some left over)

Switch - $2
Hardware/Brackets/handles/etc (have a lot left over) - $15
Soap Dispenser - $19
Approx Total = $150

Please note I did not skimp on materials, this can be done a lot cheaper

Now that the cost is out of the way I will move onto REALLY VAGUE and BASIC construction description.

First I built a box to the spec of my Vac. After I built the box I realized I could have built it smaller yet change the design of the machine a bit. Oh well it is HUGE I know, but it works and I still like it.

I then cut the appropriate size holes for the switch, turn table, hoses, exhaust and cables. Staining and making sure the box was correct was the most time consuming part of the project. I stained the box with 2 coats on the inside and outside.

I then fixed the motor to the top of the RCM.

MOst Challenging:........... attaching platter to motor.......................

......................................I decided on industrial Strength Velcro, this worked perfectly and was more than strong enough. This portion of the build kept me thinking due to the shape of the platter bottom. Some spacers (washers) had to be glued together then glued to the bottom of the platter. The height had to be perfect as well.

Another challenge was the stability of the Platter. Stopping it from wobbling during force is key. Using washersamd automotive glue I made the platter Float and skim across the top piece of wood of the RCM. To take stress off the motor I glued Velvet to the bottom of the Platter so it will glide as it spins.

Originally I had a suction wand like the VPI but it didn't work very well, the current design works pretty Damn good. This machines Turntable goes forward and Backwards like the VPI and is NOT too Loud. I was thinking of adding some sound dampening material inside the box to cut some noise.

Over all I really enjoyed this project, the RCM works great, and it didn't cost $500 or more bucks like a VPI.

Any suggestions, concerns are welcome, I would like to make even better if possible. Also any Other DIY Record Machine Pics and designs out there? I would be interested in seeing them

I know... Its F$#kin  HUGE ! ...................

Here are some Pics:

gary

Re: It is done !.....DIY Record Cleaning Machines
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2009, 02:07 am »
damn... that looks better than my record player  :D. Nice job.

gary

Scott F.

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2009, 01:50 pm »
Nice job,

You may want to consider, rather than a hand held suction tube as you've got

Something more like this pick up arm...

side view

a view looking up at the suction slot

Here is the DIY article at EnjoyTheMusic
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/recordcleaner.htm

Now, the way the original writer built this was with copper pipe. Personally I'd make it out of PVC because it will be much easier to work with. Not sure you need the screw as he's shown as the PVC should be a pretty tight fit and shouldn't slide or decouple easily. You'll have to work on something to allow you to adjust the height slightly to compensate for thicker records but that one should be fairly simple. There you could use a coupling and a jack screw or something similar.

Be forewarned, using velvet around the cleaning slot will work fine for a while. As time wears on the velvet begins to delaminate and fall out of its backing. In turn, those fibers end up in your grooves. If you can find it, a professional grade polishing cloth (used for polishing acrylic and the like) will work better and last longer. Not sure where to get it but a Google search should garner some results.

Altering your design in this fashion, I think you will find that it cleans your vinyl considerably better as the PVC tube and polishing cloth will suck the dirt and fluid out much better than doing it freehand.

Let everybody know if you try this option  :thumb:

Listens2tubes

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2009, 07:46 pm »
Very impressive :thumb: I use the platter and motor from an old ADC turntable for my preclean platter. I originally kept it for building an RCM but bought a KAB EV-1 instead. Your macnine/creation is much more elegant though. Keep us up on your mods and updates please.

Now, where are all the others?

nrenter

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2009, 07:59 pm »
Here's mine. I concentrate the suction through a 4mm air hose, and terminate it with waterline washer padded with a "doughnut" made from a Disc Doctor replacement pad.

I "scrub" for 3 minutes using MFSL Plus Enzyme cleaner, then extract.

Here's a link to my system over at AudioGon...

guest48077

« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2009, 08:17 pm »
Nice job,

You may want to consider, rather than a hand held suction tube as you've got

Something more like this pick up arm...

side view

a view looking up at the suction slot

Here is the DIY article at EnjoyTheMusic
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/recordcleaner.htm

This was the original design I was trying to copy. This is Pretty much the VPI design right? I tried it and it did not seem to clean the water as well as my current design. In the future I may try it again. Thanks for the tips on the Velvet falling out. I have some "Sham WOW" type material.... would that be better? I guess I will see what happens as time goes by.

guest48077

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2009, 10:34 pm »
Here's mine. I concentrate the suction through a 4mm air hose, and terminate it with waterline washer padded with a "doughnut" made from a Disc Doctor replacement pad.

I also tried my current design with a smaller concentration of suction. I bought plumbing adapters from Home depot (my Favorite store BTW) to adapted from 1.25 tube to 1/4 inch tube. Overall I found the suction was diminished significantly. I took the parts back and settled with 1.25 tube to suck with.

As I said before I am still tinkering and open for suggestions. I do like your method, does it work like the Keith Monk machine and follow the grooves of the record? If I were to do this now I would have to get another power supply to speed up the table. I am currently running a 15 VOLT power supply only. The great thing about the DC notor is you can get a multi Voltage Power supply and flick the switch to the higher voltage = equal faster table. :D

Thanks for the reply.

Christof

« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2009, 11:04 pm »
Cool!!!

nrenter

« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2009, 01:53 am »
...does it work like the Keith Monk machine and follow the grooves of the record?

That was my initial intent. This is also why I have a bobbin of thread on top of the headshell. However, the time required to balance suction, friction, and anti-skate was not worth it. Plus, I didn't have enough confidence in my design to rely upon only a thread to separate the suction nozzle from my LPs. So, I use a self-adhesive DD pad as the interface (I figure it's vinyl-safe and provides one last scrub), let the record spin at 45 RPM, and maually move the arm to remove the standing liquid (slowly from outer-edge inward, and then back out).

guest48077

« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2009, 02:28 am »

I use a self-adhesive DD pad as the interface (I figure it's vinyl-safe and provides one last scrub), let the record spin at 45 RPM, and maually move the arm to remove the standing liquid (slowly from outer-edge inward, and then back out).

What is a DD Pad. In the future I may need to change my design a bit to a different material.

nrenter

« Reply #10 on: 3 Aug 2009, 12:54 pm »
The Disc Doctor

IMHO, their brushes and pads are some of the best.

guest48077

« Reply #11 on: 3 Aug 2009, 05:32 pm »
well to continue in the same topic of record cleaning.............................
Now I need a Brush for WET cleaning. Anyone out there with a RCM have any favorite WET Brush? Appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks

nrenter

« Reply #12 on: 3 Aug 2009, 08:29 pm »
Anyone out there with a RCM have any favorite WET Brush?

The Disc Doctor

IMHO, their brushes and pads are some of the best.

guest48077

« Reply #13 on: 5 Aug 2009, 07:18 pm »
Still looking into WET Brushes. There has been a recommendation for the DISC Doctor Brush. I did some research and it looks pretty good, highly recommended. I also found the mobile Fidelity brush at

Music Direct
http://www.musicdirect.com/product/73897

the brush looks the same but at half the cost. Any thoughts.......is this a good Brush or is it worth spending double the amount on the disc Doctor brush? :scratch:

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #14 on: 5 Aug 2009, 09:28 pm »
I just picked up your turntable light for $10 at a building supply store last week.They are used as an outdoor grill cooking light but the clamp locks on to my 2 inch cherry wonderfully and the 2 foot adjustable neck is trick also. Best $10 ever spent on illumination. :thumb:

guest48077

« Reply #15 on: 5 Aug 2009, 09:45 pm »
I just picked up your turntable light for $10 at a building supply store last week.They are used as an outdoor grill cooking light but the clamp locks on to my 2 inch cherry wonderfully and the 2 foot adjustable neck is trick also. Best $10 ever spent on illumination. :thumb:

Well you got a pretty good deal. I paid 22 bucks for mine. It is also a BBQ out door LED Light. I like it for record cleaning, it really shows the dust(befor Cleaning of course.

dangerbird

« Reply #16 on: 5 Aug 2009, 10:09 pm »
To the OP,, damn fine work,,sir.  :thumb:

guest48077

« Reply #17 on: 15 Aug 2009, 02:13 am »
Well I figure I should supply an update to anyone who is interested. It has been afew weeks now since I complete My Record Cleaning Machine.

The results of this DIY Project is a complete success. I made some Record Cleaner (thanks Wayner, I followed your recipe from the thread). Wayners recipe was cheap, simple and effective (this is my first experience with record cleaner BTW).

I encourage anyone with a little DIY/ Building Know how to make a Record cleaning Machine instead of buying............ It really works wonders with the sound of your vinyl.

Also I am still interested in seeing other DIY record cleaning Machines :drool:...... I am always looking to improve my own design.