TomS

Re: Re-entry with VPI Classic 1
« Reply #80 on: 23 Jun 2012, 12:49 am »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Sonny

« Reply #81 on: 23 Jun 2012, 03:01 am »
Nice Jason,
I too just picked up a Classic 1, a used one, about 2 years old, so, old more square wood/walnut trim, older aluminum tonearm, grooveless platter, SS plate on top of the motor instead of black, and loving it!  Using a retip (manufacturer retip) Benz Ace SL and my DIY Curcio phono.  Loaded at 475ohm...sounding great!  Musical and still  has the details!  Quiet...still a little pop on turning off the motor, but I just mute the volume and, viola! no pop! :thumb:

Sonny

« Reply #82 on: 23 Jun 2012, 03:03 am »
PS, I'd post pics but my wife took the camera! :duh:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #83 on: 23 Jun 2012, 12:23 pm »
Yes, you need to post pics.  Maybe we should start a VPI pics thread.   :green:

All I can say is that I'm happy.  Very happy.  It was an extremely late night into this morning spinning vinyl and it was fantastic. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #84 on: 25 Jun 2012, 01:29 am »
It sure is nice to be able to see what I'm doing.   :lol:

Sonny

« Reply #85 on: 25 Jun 2012, 01:58 am »
Yes, you need to post pics.  Maybe we should start a VPI pics thread.   :green:

All I can say is that I'm happy.  Very happy.  It was an extremely late night into this morning spinning vinyl and it was fantastic.

Will do when the wife gets home with the camera!  Nice table Jason!  Is that the stainless steel tonearm or the aluminum?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #86 on: 25 Jun 2012, 02:07 am »
Will do when the wife gets home with the camera!  Nice table Jason!  Is that the stainless steel tonearm or the aluminum?
Pretty sure it's aluminum. 

Sonny

« Reply #87 on: 25 Jun 2012, 02:12 am »
Pretty sure it's aluminum.

Strange, I thought all the new Classics come with the Stainless Steel now.
Oh well...

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #88 on: 25 Jun 2012, 02:15 am »
Strange, I thought all the new Classics come with the Stainless Steel now.
Oh well...
Maybe it is.   :dunno:

Sonny

« Reply #89 on: 25 Jun 2012, 02:54 am »
Maybe it is.   :dunno:

Dunno either, but who cares as longs as it sounds Great!   :duh:

TomS

« Reply #90 on: 25 Jun 2012, 03:13 am »
The latest 10.5i's on the C1 are supposed to be stainless.

Sonny

« Reply #91 on: 25 Jun 2012, 03:21 am »
The latest 10.5i's on the C1 are supposed to be stainless.

I have a Classic from the original Classic 1 and it's aluminum, then two made for me before the Classic table was introduced and one Stainless Steel and the other aluminum...so, don't know.
T

95Dyna

« Reply #92 on: 26 Jun 2012, 02:18 am »
Dunno either, but who cares as longs as it sounds Great!   :duh:

Touche, Sonny!  My Classic 1 10.5i is aluminum.  I'm restoring and playing 35 and 40 year old records and I can tell you if I had this rig in 1980 I wouldn't own a compact disc.  It's mated with the Benz Wood SL and the Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk.  The other night I was playing a Pentatone SACD of some J.S. Bach violin concertos on my Esoteric X-05 when out of curiosity I quickly switched to a 1983 CBS Masterworks LP of the Brandenburg Concertos.  The difference was palpable to borrow a snob word from the media.  :lol:
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2012, 02:25 pm by 95Dyna »

Sonny

« Reply #93 on: 26 Jun 2012, 04:17 am »
Touche, Sonny!  My Classic 1 10.5i is aluminum.  I'm restoring and playing 35 and 40 year old records and I can tell you if I had this rig in 1980 I wouldn't own a compact disc.  It's mated with the Benz Wood SL and the Ray Samuels F-115 Nighthawk.  The other night I was playing a Pentatone SACD of some J.S. Bach violin concertos on my Esoteric X-05 when out of curiosity I quickly switched to a 1983 CBS Masterworks LP of the Brandenburg Concertos.  The difference was palpable to borrow a snob word from the media.  :lol:

Yes, and I am using a Benz as well, the ACE SL and loading it at 475 ohms on my DIY Curcio phono, sounds amazing!  and when I switch to my DIY Pass XONO, loaded at 875ohm, even better!

Tuan

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #94 on: 26 Jun 2012, 11:22 am »
OK Classic owners.  Last night I dropped the cart on a still platter to see what kind of feedback I'm getting.  It rings a bit if I tap the table or rack.  What are you using under the table if anything? 

How much is normal / acceptable?

Minn Mark

« Reply #95 on: 26 Jun 2012, 12:11 pm »
Mine's on a Salamander credenza which has six rollerball feet, on a concrete basement slab. Sumiko Blackbird cart. I have not tried the expt you outline, but mine sounds fantastic. I have not heard ringing or other noise when tapping on the stand, base, or platter while the arm is in its rest.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #96 on: 26 Jun 2012, 02:04 pm »
Mine's on a Salamander credenza which has six rollerball feet, on a concrete basement slab. Sumiko Blackbird cart. I have not tried the expt you outline, but mine sounds fantastic. I have not heard ringing or other noise when tapping on the stand, base, or platter while the arm is in its rest.
If you don't mind I'd be curious to know your results.  TT motor off but everything else powered on.  Drop the cart on an album and tap on the table and then rack or whatever your Classic is on.  Do you hear it through the speakers wtih the volume at listening level?

95Dyna

« Reply #97 on: 26 Jun 2012, 02:32 pm »
Yes, and I am using a Benz as well, the ACE SL and loading it at 475 ohms on my DIY Curcio phono, sounds amazing!  and when I switch to my DIY Pass XONO, loaded at 875ohm, even better!

Tuan

I have found the 1K ohm loading to work best overall with my setup however the F-117 has load and gain adjustments on the front that I just can't keep my hands off of.  Some days I envy those who have inaccessible phono stages!  :green:

Sonny

« Reply #98 on: 26 Jun 2012, 04:33 pm »
OK Classic owners.  Last night I dropped the cart on a still platter to see what kind of feedback I'm getting.  It rings a bit if I tap the table or rack.  What are you using under the table if anything? 

How much is normal / acceptable?

Jason, I can guarantee you that 95% of all tables will do this...what's happening is as you tap on the plinth or the rack, unless the platter and tonearm are TOTALLY isolated, the resonance from the tap will trigger the vibration to the platter and / or tonearm and move the stylus / cantilever, thus you hearing it.  It will not effect your sound.  Don't worry!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #99 on: 26 Jun 2012, 05:01 pm »
It will not effect your sound.  Don't worry!
Really?  I've been trying to think how I can eliminate it wtihout going crazy.   :duh: