Howdy

DaveyW

Howdy
« on: 13 Nov 2010, 09:38 pm »
Hi All,
I had a tip off that I might find some old friends here. Sure enough I can spot a few.
Thought I'd pop by and say hello, glad to see you're still happily spinning  :P
Looks like a friendly and knowledgable place too.  8)
Cheers
Dave

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Howdy
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2010, 12:07 am »
Hi Dave!  Welcome to another refugee from the site that shall forever remain nameless in my posts.  Hope you enjoy it here.

For those who do not know Davey, he has one of the most extensive collections of various cartridges wav files on his web site.  An awesome resource.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2010, 02:05 am »
Hi All,
I had a tip off that I might find some old friends here. Sure enough I can spot a few.
Thought I'd pop by and say hello, glad to see you're still happily spinning  :P
Looks like a friendly and knowledgeable place too.  8)
Cheers
Dave

Yo David!

The Vinyl Circle @ AudioCircle.com has developed nicely here over the years.  There's a lot more prospects and newbies than over at VinylEngine, so you may not get as many participants in elaborate technical discussions...but, the passion is surely here :thumb:

Dave's amazing resource that he dutifully keeps up with is here: http://daveyw.edsstuff.org/index.htm

Welcome Dave!

John

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2010, 04:41 am »
Yo David!

The Vinyl Circle @ AudioCircle.com has developed nicely here over the years.  There's a lot more prospects and newbies than over at VinylEngine, so you may not get as many participants in elaborate technical discussions...but, the passion is surely here :thumb:

Dave's amazing resource that he dutifully keeps up with is here: http://daveyw.edsstuff.org/index.htm

Welcome Dave!

John

Welcome as well my friend  :beer:

Hey John..............How soon before I become head-masta-pimp :eyebrows:

DaveyW

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2010, 08:32 am »
Thanks Guys,

Not quite a Refugee - not yet anyway  :icon_lol:

Understand where you are coming from John re. the technical stuff, but intense technical debate can become rather divisive and in some cases turn a little ugly  :evil:

Not really for me - I'm much more into sharing all personal experiences and letting these shape the directions I take regarding this very rewarding hobby.

Having looked through some of the posts here, it looks like there's a healthy willingness to openly share opinions without turning nasty when there are the inevitable differences  8)

Cheers
Dave

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2010, 01:51 pm »
Nice to see you here Davey. Stay a while, I think you'll like it. :beer:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2010, 03:16 pm »
Hey John..............How soon before I become head-masta-pimp :eyebrows:
My title of Grado-pimp supremus at VinylCircle has automatically been handed off to you now, Marc.  I was merely a stand-in here in wait :wink:

I do have to say that I've now heard the SoundSmith Strain Gauge system and it's the first cartridge I'd ditch my Grado for all being equal.  At 20x the cost of my lovely sounding Grado however, that day will, ummm, wait a while. My 600 record collection can't justify an outlay of $5500 (as good as it is, I cannot get around that math) for something that does eventually wear down and will cost more in further replacements after ~ 1000 hours.

Quote from: DaveyW
Having looked through some of the posts here, it looks like there's a healthy willingness to openly share opinions without turning nasty when there are the inevitable differences  8)
I think I've been the Facilitator for over 5 years here now....it does occasionally get nasty, but working with everyone to find commonalities between us normally moderate the violent excesses.

Once moderated, I prune the nastier exchanges and toss them in the Intergalactic Wastebin so they're not seen again. Everybody has less good days, different interpretation of post responses can be tricky and fire up participants beyond that expected and some simply don't communicate as precisely via keyboard as they might in person. 

For all these reasons, and more, you just work with folks and understand that to be human is to err, occasionally.  Myself, included :|

John

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2010, 07:33 pm »
Hi Davey, how's it going?

Glad to hear that you're still OK at VE. I haven't been to your web site in awhile, any new entries? I'll check it out soon. I think I might sell a couple of carts and maybe you'll want to record them before I do. I'll let you know.
neo

DaveyW

« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2010, 08:34 pm »
Once moderated, I prune the nastier exchanges and toss them in the Intergalactic Wastebin so they're not seen again. Everybody has less good days, different interpretation of post responses can be tricky and fire up participants beyond that expected and some simply don't communicate as precisely via keyboard as they might in person. 

For all these reasons, and more, you just work with folks and understand that to be human is to err, occasionally.  Myself, included :|

John
Well I tip my hat to you John, I know it can be a time consuming commitment.

Hi Neo - All's good at VE, lots of new blood and healthy debate, thought I'd pop in here though to say hello and catch up with a few old friends who's contributions I've missed.
Re. the website - with BaMorin's help I've had a bit of a Gradofest recently.
The Ref Sonata 1 turned out to be quite a nice cart and I'm still happy spinning with my potted Z+/MCZ.
I'm mulling over popping the AT OC9 ML II back on and tinkering with increased headshell/arm tube mass.
I've had a tip off that this could be the answer we've been looking for to fattening up the sound on this otherwise excellent little number.
We shall see. :)

Nice to see you here Davey. Stay a while, I think you'll like it.
OK will do!
Cheers
Dave

TheChairGuy

« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2010, 01:45 am »
Dave,

U may be on to something with heavier headshells and the AT-OC9's....the three aluminum/magnesium headshells AT offers as replacements for S-shaped arms are quite solid and heavy.

I think I bought the lightest one, from audiocubes a few years ago, and it was surprisingly heavy for the lightest of the bunch...like 13 grams if I remember right. :scratch:

Unfortunately, it was also too short to be used with most or all of my cartridges....so it's probably the next size up, maybe a portly 15 or 16grams, should be used.

I'd assume AT wouldn't offer such heavy headshells unless they found beneficial to  sonics.

John

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2010, 04:00 am »
Yup, 13grams for the lightest of the technohard series...bought here at Audiocubes2.com: http://www.audiocubes2.com/index.php?cPath=32&osCsid=2494da599f3dd2b5cb97e243c7d266c0

Be forewarned that the 13gram one is very short....I don't know what cartridge fits it, but I think I tried an AT440ML and that didn't fit it either, oddly :scratch:

They do have a 10gram one, made of magnesium, that looks more like the length of the 15gram model (by eyeballing pics alone)

John

Delta Wave

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2010, 04:19 am »
Welcome! You know, I haven't really missed the VE since LD had me banned, I had to stick up for John here and take one for the team... I just want all of my documents back.  :green:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2010, 05:24 am »
Don't know what VE is, but I'd like to.  I've played with modeling clay on tonearms.

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 15 Nov 2010, 10:59 am »
Please remember: we do have a "no dirty laundry" policy here. I will however offer the suggestion that the first step in any question of access to copyrighted documents posted on another site would be to simply contact the relevant owner with a reasonably-worded request.

I do hope this is the last we hear of "issues" with Vinyl Engine and that the Vinyl Circle focusses on what it's intended for. Thanks ;)
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2010, 11:33 pm by JohnR »

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #14 on: 15 Nov 2010, 03:39 pm »
Sorry John, you're right, I removed my post.

JohnR

« Reply #15 on: 15 Nov 2010, 11:03 pm »
And I've toned mine down ;)

Actually, I need to post in this Circle more myself, I did get my Aurora running eventually and could do with some more info in what to do next :green:

Delta Wave

« Reply #16 on: 18 Nov 2010, 12:36 am »
Yup, 13grams for the lightest of the technohard series...bought here at Audiocubes2.com: http://www.audiocubes2.com/index.php?cPath=32&osCsid=2494da599f3dd2b5cb97e243c7d266c0

Be forewarned that the 13gram one is very short....I don't know what cartridge fits it, but I think I tried an AT440ML and that didn't fit it either, oddly :scratch:

They do have a 10gram one, made of magnesium, that looks more like the length of the 15gram model (by eyeballing pics alone)

John

I have a few of these Sumiko headshells and they are somewhat heavy but very rigid and well made, even come with litz wires.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Sumiko-HS12-Headshell

TheChairGuy

« Reply #17 on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:54 am »
And I've toned mine down ;)

Actually, I need to post in this Circle more myself, I did get my Aurora running eventually and could do with some more info in what to do next :green:

An Origin Live Aurora, John?

felixscerri

« Reply #18 on: 20 Nov 2010, 02:05 am »
G'day all, I just thought I'd register and say G'day to all.  I guess a few of you might know me!  I'm still plugging away with cartridge loading, the excellent Jico SAS styli, and building phono preamps and allied stuff, and of course I still love the Shure M97xE.......and I'm still an 'Aspie' too.  Regards, Felix.

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #19 on: 20 Nov 2010, 02:55 am »
Hi Felix,

Good to see you here - and many other NOS! :D :D  I've been here a while myself but have tended to mainly hang around the Aspen Circle - but that may change now.  Lyn.