VPI Scout Prime

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
VPI Scout Prime
« on: 25 Sep 2014, 09:58 am »
Another contender with some interesting twists. Definitely cool looking, so keep a lookout for it if you are going to RMAF: http://www.theaudiobeat.com/news/vpi_scout_prime.htm

Best,
Anand.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: VPI Scout Prime
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2014, 12:45 pm »
Looks like a winner.  Should also accommodate the rim drive? 

The mid price category is looking better.  Also, Anvil looks like it might be a category contender.  The resurgence might have dried up good cheap tables, but we're getting some nice new offerings.
neo

brooklyn

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2014, 02:46 pm »
Interesting turntable, we will see what the audio press thinks of it... Thanks for the link..

Drew769

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2014, 04:31 pm »
I wonder how this one will fit into lineup, with the Classic 2 and 3.  Hmm.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2014, 01:47 pm »
Here it is again:
https://www.facebook.com/vpiindustries?fref=nf

I wonder if it will actually come out at that price.  The 3D arm is $4K by itself?
neo

audio.bill

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2014, 03:06 pm »
This setup includes a special version of their 10.5" 3D arm with VTA tower. The arms are made on a new 3D printer that produces multiple arms simultaneously, which reduces their production time and cost.

Austin08

« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2014, 06:02 pm »
Very interesting!!!! Definitely will keep my eyes on this one.

sfox7076

« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2014, 07:45 pm »
Sounded nice at the show today.  Made me wonder about my thorens td-160b.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2014, 04:10 pm »
This setup includes a special version of their 10.5" 3D arm with VTA tower. The arms are made on a new 3D printer that produces multiple arms simultaneously, which reduces their production time and cost.

The plinth is made of MDF with no steel chassis.  VPI will sell a jillion of these, just watch. 
neo

jimdgoulding

« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2014, 04:44 pm »
Looks like a winner.  Wouldn't mind if I did but the few bucks I can spend is going elsewhere.  I think my table is rock solid but could benefit from that arm.  I gots a Jelco 750 10 incher and it's not a uni-pivot.

Micro-Seiki  BL 91

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #10 on: 28 Sep 2014, 06:47 pm »
Looks like a winner.  Wouldn't mind if I did but the few bucks I can spend is going elsewhere.  I think my table is rock solid but could benefit from that arm.  I gots a Jelco 750 10 incher and it's not a uni-pivot.

With your Koetsu you might be better off with the Jelco.  At least the mass is more appropriate even if it's not as advanced.  Some people don't like unipivots and they seem inappropriate for low compliance.
neo

jimdgoulding

« Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2014, 07:14 pm »
Thanks, Neo.  I do like what I hear.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #12 on: 2 Oct 2014, 11:46 pm »

Scottdazzle

« Reply #13 on: 3 Oct 2014, 02:54 am »
With your Koetsu you might be better off with the Jelco.  At least the mass is more appropriate even if it's not as advanced.  Some people don't like unipivots and they seem inappropriate for low compliance.
neo

Actually the VPI unipivots work better with low or mid-compliance cartridges. Harry Weisfeld designed the Soundsmith Zephyr (10µm/mN) with Peter Lederman to mate with the Classic unipivot. It's low compliance. Prior to that VPI recommended the low compliance Dynavector 20X2 (12 x 10-6 cm/dyn) with the Classic arm.  With the new printed arm for the Prime, they're using an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze (12 µm/mN), another low compliance cartridge.  High compliance cartridges might interact too much with a unipivot, particularly with warped records. 

brooklyn

« Reply #14 on: 3 Oct 2014, 02:58 am »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #15 on: 3 Oct 2014, 04:54 pm »
Actually the VPI unipivots work better with low or mid-compliance cartridges. Harry Weisfeld designed the Soundsmith Zephyr (10µm/mN) with Peter Lederman to mate with the Classic unipivot. It's low compliance. Prior to that VPI recommended the low compliance Dynavector 20X2 (12 x 10-6 cm/dyn) with the Classic arm.  With the new printed arm for the Prime, they're using an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze (12 µm/mN), another low compliance cartridge.  High compliance cartridges might interact too much with a unipivot, particularly with warped records.

I don't know the eff mass of the various VPI arms.  I've read 8 to 11g for most of them, maybe you could tell us?  Go to VPI site and the info isn't there. 

Anyway, the Koetsu Black/Goldline weighs 10.8g, and compliance is 5cu.  Unless the arms are heavier than I've read, this is a very poor match.  Based on the arm info I have, resultant resonance will be around 15Hz, depending.

There are no high cu carts any more.  Some Sonus were 50cu and some ADC were 40cu.  Today, carts around 20cu are considered high compliance.

"High compliance cartridges might interact too much with a unipivot, particularly with warped records."
You must be kidding, or it's a poorly designed arm(s).  Pritchard's own arm, the Sonus Formula 4 is a low mass unipivot.  Other moderate mass unipivots  have no problem with tracking or warps w/carts of appropriate cu.  Higher cu carts are often better trackers.

Carts like the ones you mentioned are often heavy and that weight adds to the eff mass for calculations.  I'm wondering if these lower cu carts really sound better or do they give the arms a more solid feel.  I think a Cadenza will sound better than a 2M anyway, but due to compliance? 
neo 

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #16 on: 5 Dec 2014, 10:49 am »
VPI started shipping Prime, according to Mat.  He made these short set up videos, a quick look at the table.  I really like the VTA tower, and the entire package looks like one hell of a deal for $3.5K:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs7U9oKQTzs&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSGFo-SU8Fw&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex3Qsqr8DD8&feature=youtu.be

Grbluen

« Reply #17 on: 6 Dec 2014, 03:44 am »
I'm seriously thinking about buying this one.

harri009

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 9 Dec 2014, 03:39 am »
Has anyone received their tracking number for the prime yet? 

Grbluen

« Reply #19 on: 9 Dec 2014, 03:49 am »
Patience.  My guess is that VPI probably wants to avoid another launch like the Traveler!