Anyone tried the Spin Clean?

Rischa

Anyone tried the Spin Clean?
« on: 24 Apr 2012, 11:27 pm »
Looking for an affordable vinyl cleaner. Has anyone tried the Spin Clean? It's gotten good press reviews, but I'd like to hear some real-world reports. Is it worth the 80 bucks, or would I be better off holding out for a VPI?

Thanks,
Alex

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: Anyone tried the Spin Clean?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2012, 11:34 pm »
I like mine. I've cleaned about 500 LPs with it, some over 40 yrs old and it works. That being said I'm geting a VPI 16.5 soon.

Doc

decal

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2012, 11:41 pm »
Worth every penny,IMHO. If you are lazy or impatient,you probably won't like it.

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2012, 12:03 am »
It does a great job though you really need to set up and do it in batches, preferably with a willing helper. A low cost vacuum such as the KAB EV-1 is nice to have too and speeds things up on the drying side. I sometimes use both the Spin Clean and then a Nitty Gritty to vacuum them off. The main advantage of the standalone NG (or VPI) is that you can always scrub and clean a single disc, vacuum it, and play it right away.

Rischa

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2012, 12:05 am »
If you are lazy or impatient,you probably won't like it.

Care to elaborate? Is it frustrating to use, or just time consuming?

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2012, 12:11 am »
It's simple but time consuming to use.

Doc

Kinger

« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2012, 12:11 am »
I would definitely go with a KAB EV-1 over the Spin Clean if you can swing it.  Friend of mine purchased the Spin Clean and while it does a very good job the EV-1 does reduce surface noise a bit more.

decal

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2012, 12:29 am »
It's simple but time consuming to use.

Doc

Exactly.

orthobiz

« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2012, 01:53 am »
My daughter spins and I dry. Two people work best, you can get a lot done in a relatively short period of time. Great for garage sales. One or two records, not so much.

Paul

twitch54

« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2012, 02:32 am »
I like mine. I've cleaned about 500 LPs with it, some over 40 yrs old and it works. That being said I'm geting a VPI 16.5 soon.

Doc

yep......I've got both, I use the 'spin clean' as my pre cleaner, then the VPI. Perfect combination IMO

MaxCast

« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2012, 02:42 am »
I bought one and I have my son help me.  In fact, he like to do it.  Need to rig up a cheap vac system soon.
Never used anything else but a discwasher brush so I can't comment there.  Would I buy it again, yep.

Airborn

« Reply #11 on: 26 Apr 2012, 12:34 am »
I have the Spin Clean system and think it works very well for its cost, if you accept its limitations.  The limitations are that it is not automated and mechanical; it requires physical effort to insert and turn each record by hand (the spin) and requires more effort to dry each LP by hand with the provided cloths (the clean).  I actually think the best part is the cleaning solution; it works well and is cheaper than many.  I use mine with a hand steamer for the tough to clean garage and thrift store buys. 

Is it worth it?  I would answer yes, but only if you are planning to clean a bunch of records all at once...As noted, it is definitely too much of a PIA to do one album at a time just before listening.  But you really only have to use the spin clean once on each album if you do a good job and take care of your albums properly IMO; after that a quick brush with the carbon fiber brush should be all you need. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #12 on: 26 Apr 2012, 01:38 am »
Works great.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #13 on: 26 Apr 2012, 02:10 am »
It's good, but it's not like a vacuum.  Get the KAB-1.  You won't regret it.

TONEPUB

« Reply #14 on: 26 Apr 2012, 04:09 am »
The Spin Clean and VPI are different animals.  If you're watching $$, keep an eye out for someone with a VPI 16.5 that is trading up to a 17.5...  All of the VPI's are built like tanks and you can probably get a great deal on a used one and save a couple hundred bucks.  But a spin clean is not a bad place to start...

orthobiz

« Reply #15 on: 26 Apr 2012, 02:23 pm »
I have the Spin Clean system and think it works very well for its cost... I use mine with a hand steamer for the tough to clean garage and thrift store buys. 

Have you left the record upright in the Spin Clean and used the steamer around the edges?

Paul

mtodde

« Reply #16 on: 28 Apr 2012, 04:16 pm »
The Spin Clean works pretty well but not as well as a vacuum machine in my experience. To me it was faster and generally more effective than cleaning by hand. I'd say buy one and continue saving for a Nitty Gritty or VPI 16.5.

Old timer

« Reply #17 on: 28 Apr 2012, 04:33 pm »
The Spin Clean works pretty well but not as well as a vacuum machine in my experience. To me it was faster and generally more effective than cleaning by hand. I'd say buy one and continue saving for a Nitty Gritty or VPI 16.5.

+1

simoon

« Reply #18 on: 28 Apr 2012, 05:45 pm »

I believe a KAB EV-1 does as good a job as a Nitty Gritty or VPI for a fraction of the cost.

All you have to do is supply your own vacuum, and save yourself almost $300 over the least expensive Nitty Griity.

Airborn

« Reply #19 on: 29 Apr 2012, 06:43 am »
Have you left the record upright in the Spin Clean and used the steamer around the edges?

Paul
Paul
I have not done that. I prefer to use the steamer (a perfection from Walgreens) on a towel with the album laid flat. That way I don't get near the label with the steam. But I do follow up with the spin clean. This method will clean even the dirtiest thrift store find IMO.