Poll

Please post what main speakers and sub your using

Yes I have a Sub
No Sub

Who uses a subwoofer with 2 channel system

sturgus

Re: Who uses a subwoofer with 2 channel system
« Reply #40 on: 11 Feb 2012, 03:28 am »
I use a pair of Dahlquist DQ-1w crossed over at 40hz. Using the subs has given my system much more air and space. Going from an single sub to a stereo pair was a  revelation. :o Bigger soundstage and just a sense of space.
Sturgus 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #41 on: 11 Feb 2012, 03:44 am »
Me, too!   :thumb:  What Xover?

Maggie 1.6s

Doctor Fine

« Reply #42 on: 11 Feb 2012, 07:34 pm »
Four subs.  Main speakers Harbeth Monitor 30s with add-on Townshend ribbon super-tweeters all mounted on sand filled stands.  Just inside the mains are two SVS 12 inch sealed box subs toed outwards and notch filtered for bloat and crossed over rather high to remove floor bounce cancellation at 230hz. 

On either side of listening chair there are outward facing 15 inch Velodyne subs sharply crossed in just under where the fronts roll off.  System has no bloat or boom whatsoever but it took me about three years to get it sounding full bandwidth and stunning.  Move a  speaker a quarter inch and you lose details, unreal.  Plus phase and time lock between drivers requires the front speakers voice coils aligned which means subs are closest to listening chair, then mains, and tweets are on little risers and pushed back an inch or so.

The room is somewhat "vented" because it opens to stairs on right and dining room on left.  You can hear the difference if I open or shut a door fifteen feet away!

All my equipment is remote controlled and in racks in a separate "control room" so as to avoid bass feedback.  Two thousand watts RMS feeding mains, amps mounted under the floor to hide cooling fan noise.

It sounds as good as any demo I ever heard anywhere and that includes practically everybody in the industry as I worked high end sales and trained with Sonus Faber, Krell and Martin Logan etc.  There are different advantages to different setups---this one is designed to magnify the tactile "You are there" sensation in a 3D effect.  And yes I am tooting my horn but at some point the heck with false modesty---it took 45 years to get here folks...

I have heard greater detail elsewhere, I have heard greater beauty elsewhere but I have never heard more solid imaging anywhere.  It is slightly warm but only slightly.  Others systems now sound a bit "dry" to my ear most of the time.  Neither approach is wrong.  What is cool about unlimited wide bandwidth is how large the soundfield can be even in a normal size living room.  Mine is like looking at the stage at Carnegie Hall and sensing where everybody is standing. 

Subs can rock!

Bobzilla

« Reply #43 on: 11 Feb 2012, 08:44 pm »
 I use two separate Dynaudio 12W54's in 8 foot tapered transmission lines powered by a  Hafler 500. Sumo crossover to Acoustat 2+2's at 18db. slope around 80 Hz.

rodge827

« Reply #44 on: 11 Feb 2012, 08:57 pm »
I have 2 Shelby + Kroll subs with a DSpeaker Antimode 8033s and they sound awesome :thumb:.
If you use a sub the DSpeaker Antimode is a must. I thought my subs sounded awesome until, on a whim, I tried out the A/M. Got rid of all my bass room treatments and love the sound.

Rodge

sturgus

« Reply #45 on: 13 Feb 2012, 03:49 am »
Me, too!   :thumb:  What Xover?

Maggie 1.6s
Thunderbrick , I use a modded  Dahlquist LP-1 crossover.
Sturgus

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #46 on: 13 Feb 2012, 03:51 am »
ME TOO!    :thumb:

cheap-Jack

« Reply #47 on: 13 Feb 2012, 02:22 pm »

Four subs.  Main speakers Harbeth Monitor 30s with add-on Townshend ribbon super-tweeters all mounted on sand filled stands.

Subs can rock!

A silly question: are you a vinly guy or a hybrid who loves every type of music on every media?

c-J

fscl

« Reply #48 on: 15 Feb 2012, 04:13 am »
Love my B & W ASW 3000 w/ B & W 602 S3 plugged port stacked T 2 T atop vintage Yami NS -5s wired in series through the sub. :)

Fred

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
« Reply #49 on: 15 Feb 2012, 06:16 pm »
Love my B & W ASW 3000 w/ B & W 602 S3 plugged port stacked T 2 T atop vintage Yami NS -5s wired in series through the sub. :)

Fred

Hey buddy, how ya doing..........long time no type
Marc

fscl

« Reply #50 on: 17 Feb 2012, 03:47 pm »
Quote from: BaMorin
Hey buddy, how ya doing..........long time no type
Marc

Good, Marc, thanks for asking.  Yeah, I really miss you guys......(DW, TCG L98) and your older posts on the "other" site...... Many don't read like they should (gaps or should I say skips...... :o :lol:

Still holding down the fort for the newbies there, the (so not all offtopic) "low" end of the $pectrum, along with the "no repect" linear asian gear...... :) and torching for non modified ARs, seems you have company here with WayneR..... :)

Continue going to tag / moving / garage sales and freecycle so I can equip the kids and friends with tunes & vinyl front end if they want it.  Along with LP hunting for filling in the music collection..... 

Oh yeah then there's work too...... (praying animated gif required) as I've still got a job.....

Fred and cueing up the ZSZ for the organ note...... :)

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #51 on: 17 Feb 2012, 06:15 pm »
Since fixing my bass suckout issues ala room treatments, I have no need for a sub in my mancave system.  :thumb:

rcag_ils

« Reply #52 on: 18 Feb 2012, 07:29 pm »

Sonographe by Conrad Johnson, SL-21, SW-1000 and SX-1 active crossover, the best sub/sat system in the world, I have the only system in the world.

One more thing, the sub is driven by a AVA Delta 120B amp, the pic was taken during set up,  the sub is no longer in between the sat, found a better spot for it.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #53 on: 18 Feb 2012, 08:01 pm »
wery nice looking rcag...  but...  the beast sub/sat system in the world will have at least two separate subs.   8)

doug s.

rcag_ils

« Reply #54 on: 19 Feb 2012, 01:36 am »
there are two separate 10" subs in the same box in two saparate compartments. Not sure what the reason is about the design.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #55 on: 19 Feb 2012, 01:46 am »
there are two separate 10" subs in the same box in two separate compartments. Not sure what the reason is about the design.
yes, i know about this system.  i would prefer having two separate subs, so i could keep each one somewhat adjacent to the main speakers.  cool system, for sure...

doug s.

John Casler

« Reply #56 on: 19 Feb 2012, 01:53 am »
Thunderbrick , I use a modded  Dahlquist LP-1 crossover.
Sturgus

At the time that XO came out Harry Pearson called it the 8th Wonder of the World in AUDIO.  As well he used it with the DQ-10's and the Magnepan MG-2 to favorable result.

I had one for many years (purchased in 1974 I think) and only sold it a few years ago.

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #57 on: 19 Feb 2012, 02:00 am »
Got a pair of DIY Ripole subs filling in the bottom octave.  Amazing how you don't realize what you'd been missing until you play something with real bass (like Bela Fleck & the Flecktones' "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo") and finally hear it-- or feel it, as it were.

http://jazzman-esl-page.blogspot.com/2011/01/ripole-subs-are-underway.html
Video:  http://vimeo.com/36732172

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #58 on: 19 Feb 2012, 02:59 am »
Good, Marc, thanks for asking.  Yeah, I really miss you guys......(DW, TCG L98) and your older posts on the "other" site...... Many don't read like they should (gaps or should I say skips...... :o :lol:

Hey Fred, welcome.  I missed your initiation back in October, I hardly get over to the Vinyl circle anymore with my other duties 'round here.  Hope to see you posting more.

rcag_ils

« Reply #59 on: 19 Feb 2012, 01:37 pm »
Got a pair of DIY Ripole subs filling in the bottom octave.  Amazing how you don't realize what you'd been missing until you play something with real bass (like Bela Fleck & the Flecktones' "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo") and finally hear it-- or feel it, as it were.

Jazzman, where did you get the time to built all those speakers?

You are exactly right about the low octave from a good sub. I play the Braveheart sound track 'battle of Stirling" thru my sub, holy smoke, the low bass note was so real that I almost put on my armor and go fight the English.