Poll

Please post what main speakers and sub your using

Yes I have a Sub
No Sub

Who uses a subwoofer with 2 channel system

Indiansprings

Re: Who uses a subwoofer with 2 channel system
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jan 2012, 02:39 am »
I hooked up my Velodyne F1500 crossed it over down around 30hz. My VR-2's that WGH modded go down that low, so I just filled in the lowest freq. I like it. The speed of the smaller woofers and the authority of the servo controlled 15".

YoungDave

« Reply #21 on: 31 Jan 2012, 03:13 am »
I use 2 VMPS Larger subs, on opposite sides of the room, crossed over at 55 Hz.  They are a couple feet closer to the listening position than are the speakers, so I delay them appropriately with the DEQX that also serves as their crossover.  I use a Linkwitz-Riley 2nd order (IIRC) crossover for this purpose.  Higher-order linear crossover implementations in the DEQX make too much delay at 55 Hz.

stereocilia

« Reply #22 on: 31 Jan 2012, 06:23 am »
I tried something a little different.  I put the sub behind the chair I'm sitting in such that the cabinet makes contact.  I turned it down so I just barely notice the vibrotactile effect.  Unfortunately there is a razor thin line between enhancement and distraction this way.  For now I'm keeping like that.

NavyDoc

• Virabus mari victoria
« Reply #23 on: 31 Jan 2012, 07:16 am »
I use three subwoofers all the time, two 3 Pi subwoofers from Pi Speakers and one Paradigm PDR-12.  The 3 Pi subs are at the front of the room just beside and behind the main speakers (4 Pi).  The 4 Pi speaker is a two way that uses a 15" JBL woofer but it starts a gentle rolloff at 80 Hz (by design to integrate with subs).  Combined with the Paradigm, which is randomly placed towards to rear of the room, the room nodes are pretty smooth without significant equalization.

All three are controlled by a miniDSP (LPF, HPF and parametric eq).  The system is dialed in using a calibrated measurement microphone and software for flat response, not "boom." I would no go back to large mains without subs again for integrated low bass that is not room dependent.

cheap-Jack

Cheapie cartridges can deliver sub-sonic basses...
« Reply #24 on: 31 Jan 2012, 02:23 pm »
Nope, just saying that the best bass will come from a cart that handles bass well. Many cheaper carts can do this well. And set-up (VTA, VTF, etc) should cost nada unless you hire someone to help with it (not an entirely bad idea in some cases).

Bingo! Even cheapie MM cartridges, with conical stylus, if properly alighed, can deliver superb clean sub-sonic bass, like mine. Active sub is to reinforce
the bass notes to the lisener's preference.

sgr

« Reply #25 on: 31 Jan 2012, 02:45 pm »
I use two Legacy Audio Extreme HD subs with my two channel system and the Legacy Helix have subs built in. My source is usually digital which sounds so good I don't want to mess with vinyl. The subs don't do anything but enhance the system. I don't even know they are on until something comes along in the recording and then wham! The key here is to blend the subs into the system until they are not noticeable.

motorcitym3

« Reply #26 on: 31 Jan 2012, 05:09 pm »
I use a M&K mx-5000 mkII with my Tyler Acoustic Linbrook system...probably don't need to but I like it!

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #27 on: 31 Jan 2012, 11:15 pm »
To me, it’s a good question but more about proper integration rather than a simple yes or no.  In other words, I would rather no sub than accept any compromise with a less than ideally integrated one for music listening.  Nevertheless, IMO one must have solid base as to me it provides the drive and rhythm that is the heart of musicality. :eyebrows:

In my case, I am fortunate enough to have a separate (from HT) but more intimate stereo only area.  But it’s not a huge room and my Vandersteen 3A Sigs are about as big a set of speakers as one could sensibly use.  Practical, let alone proper, placement of a sub/s (I considered matching Vandy’s) would have been nigh on impossible for this room/space and the WAF would have been strained, so didn’t go that way.  It’s never simple is it?

I still have excellent base timing and response down to 30Hz and even something a bit below, so whilst missing the sheer magnificence of low Organ notes etc, I feel the essential base musical drive is mostly there.  So, happy enough without sub/s but within my own space constraints, would love to have the money to upgrade to Quatro’s or similar so certainly not anti sub. :thumb:

tesseract

« Reply #28 on: 2 Feb 2012, 06:06 am »
Chase SHO-10 & CS-18.T Duo.

ricmon

« Reply #29 on: 2 Feb 2012, 06:49 am »
I use an old Klipsch 12 inch sub with my Lipinski L-707's.  I run the mains full range and the sub crossed at about 40 Hz.  The sub's volume is set at position 2, if the album is a little bass shy I can go higher but not more than one or two more notches up the volume scale.  I get an amazing amount of good tuneful bass from this sub. I'm also using DSP, the Dspeaker Antimode 8033S with the sub.  Very nice!

Ric

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #30 on: 2 Feb 2012, 07:00 am »
i primarily listen to fm.  the rest is split between cd & winyl.  i have been using subwoofers w/active x-overs for about 20 years.  (a pair of original upright larger vmps'; upgraded about 10 years ago w/megawoofers.)  but, i have been using them longer than i have been listening to cd's, fwiw...

doug s.

*Scotty*

« Reply #31 on: 2 Feb 2012, 05:31 pm »
I split my listening between vinyl and digital sources and have been using subs off and on for around thirty years. Starting about 6 years ago coincident with the purchase of my current loudspeakers I have been using a pair of them for pressure equalization in the room rather than bass augmentation.
 The multiple sub approach works quite well for taming peaks and nulls in the bass response.

Scotty

joegator81

« Reply #32 on: 7 Feb 2012, 02:47 am »
I use an Epic Legend w/ my Salk ST's. I cross them over around 40hz or so. I give the sub room to breath w/ an isolation from edesign underneath it. I have my turntable on top of my ikea vinyl shelf. Underneath the TT is 4 vibrapods, a thick maple cutting board from bedbathandbeyond, and a subdude iso base directly below the TT. This setup works great for isolation. No trouble from the sub at all. The sub does a great job filling in the lows and doesnt seem to lag behind the salks.

AUDFILE74

« Reply #33 on: 7 Feb 2012, 03:02 am »
i user 2 subs in my system. ironically i have ran into an interesting truth. the key is to have a main speaker that has good extention fo it's size.  to my ears blending becomes easier. once i have the ideal placement for the subs, assuming the mains are properly placed as well, i find that starting the subs off at their hughest crossover point  but lowest volume is a great starting point. this helps me hear what the mains are doing as my point of reference.

then i listen as i adjust thesub's volume to halfway. i am listening to when the room gets boomy. ideally if the room get's boomy by halfway then i have room to play with. i go tothe crossover at that point and start to back it down doing the same listening. i am listening  for when the boominess goes away but the sub draws attention to itself. in my room that happens aroud 50 hz.  my room boom is around 100 hertz.

i find that the last bit of adjustment is a matter of preference. in my setup, when i got the sub's gain to around 635. then i found my blends was best. i am happy at that point because i get blend and extentsion to my liking. you have to find that point. the better your equipment is the more time you should commit to getting it all to work together. enjoy

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #34 on: 7 Feb 2012, 03:19 am »
I use and old Infinity Tri-sub crossed at 50hz with 32 year old original Maggie SMG's turned down to about 2.5 and it mixes pretty well with the old girls.  :)

ad9000

« Reply #35 on: 10 Feb 2012, 03:52 am »
I had a REL Storm III in my previous house, along with Reference 3A Dulcets powered by a Portal Audio amp (connected to the sub via speaker level inputs). I don't really have the space or a very sub-friendly space where I am now, unfortunately. The Storm III was very musical and it integrated well, but sometimes I found myself wishing for just a bit more power. I imagine a pair of Storm III's, or perhaps a beefier sub like the REL Strata, would have been perfect.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #36 on: 10 Feb 2012, 06:46 am »
I have, when my living arrangements allowed me to put the sub where it's supposed to be: between the mains.

xsb7244

« Reply #37 on: 10 Feb 2012, 06:03 pm »
Regarding the Chase SHO-10 speaker can you use without a sub?  How necessary is the sub for this speaker?

simoon

« Reply #38 on: 10 Feb 2012, 09:59 pm »
My Usher 6381 are 3db down at 28 hz.

I have a home made, amplified sub utilizing a 12" NHT woofer. The box is extremely overbuilt.

The sub fills in at 25 hz and below.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #39 on: 11 Feb 2012, 01:23 am »
My Usher 6381 are 3db down at 28 hz.

I have a home made, amplified sub utilizing a 12" NHT woofer. The box is extremely overbuilt.

The sub fills in at 25 hz and below.
get an active x-over; cross the usher's at ~60-80hz, and they will sound better.  use the sub for below that.  preferably, add a second sub...

i bet everything will sound better.  that was my result, after actively crossing speakers that were -2db at 20hz...

doug s.