Best CD Player in the World--Results from Beta Tester #1

BigSwede

Re: Best CD Player in the World--Results from Beta Tester #1
« Reply #20 on: 19 Apr 2011, 02:03 am »
me.  They're on a hard drive and play through the DACs on my ssp-800. 

cds take up too much shelf space
Storage space alone is not enough reason to spend thousands of dollars to get sound that may or may not be as good as I have now. I want to see a significant improvement for that investment.

scb

« Reply #21 on: 19 Apr 2011, 02:41 am »
Storage space alone is not enough reason to spend thousands of dollars to get sound that may or may not be as good as I have now. I want to see a significant improvement for that investment.

I made money by ditching cd.  I sold my Arcam dv27a player and now just stream flac files.  I didn't need to buy anything else, so I actually got money back by selling my cd player :)

BigSwede

« Reply #22 on: 19 Apr 2011, 03:02 pm »
What are you using as a source in your car, iPod?

scb

« Reply #23 on: 19 Apr 2011, 03:48 pm »

my iPhone

werd

« Reply #24 on: 19 Apr 2011, 04:20 pm »
See i think mp3 is on its way out too. Not as fast as cd but its being phased out. There is no reason for mp3. We have huge TB storage along with very fast dl speeds. The mp3 era is on its way out and the hi rez era is coming in. Hi rez everything too not just music. Massive file transfer over the internet.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #25 on: 19 Apr 2011, 05:44 pm »

Cassette deck, yes sir , kicks that CD and MP3 down the road. Every time someone hears it they are amazed at the sound and have a tough time that it is a cassette. I just giggle.

charles

srb

« Reply #26 on: 19 Apr 2011, 05:56 pm »
  Cassette deck, yes sir , kicks that CD and MP3 down the road. Every time someone hears it they are amazed at the sound and have a tough time that it is a cassette. I just giggle.

Although a certain amount of tape hiss is inevitable (even with Dolby NR), it obviously exhibits no digital harshness or artifacts from sub-standard DA conversion.  But having known someone who drove around with a reel-to-reel deck in the back seat, the 1/4" tape @ 7-1/2 inches per second kicks the 1/8" @ 1-7/8 inches per second cassette down the road.  He giggled too, but he was somewhat of a weirdo (previously having a turntable in the back seat).

Steve

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 19 Apr 2011, 07:20 pm »

Although a certain amount of tape hiss is inevitable (even with Dolby NR), it obviously exhibits no digital harshness or artifacts from sub-standard DA conversion.  But having known someone who drove around with a reel-to-reel deck in the back seat, the 1/4" tape @ 7-1/2 inches per second kicks the 1/8" @ 1-7/8 inches per second cassette down the road.  He giggled too, but he was somewhat of a weirdo (previously having a turntable in the back seat).

Steve

No doubt. Hey Lawrence Welk had a TT in his car. Ah the good ol days.

charles

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #28 on: 19 Apr 2011, 07:35 pm »
I hadn't realized these were not 45 rpm 7" discs - apparently they were 16 2/3 rpm 7" with a small hole in the centre, like 12" 33 1/3rpms

http://www.pbase.com/donboyd/image/96040457

srb

« Reply #29 on: 19 Apr 2011, 07:47 pm »
I apologize for myself (and others) derailing this topic to decidedly off-topic.  This meandering probably says a lot about the lack of demand for a $12K CD player in 2011.  I mean, if you can't build one of the best CD players in the world for $12K, you need to get out of the electronics manufacturing industry.

Steve

JackD201

« Reply #30 on: 23 Apr 2011, 06:51 am »

Cut me some slack on the value decisions man, I work hard, I pay my people good wages and give them great job security. I think I've earned the right to blow some cash on a CD player. It's still costs less than a mistress and sure as heck won't drag me to hell like one!  :lol:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #31 on: 23 Apr 2011, 05:18 pm »
Good for you JackD
 This hobby is all about what "we" want and enjoy. It doesn't matter if you're buying a $12K CD player or a $50 cassette deck, if it's what you enjoy listening to, who's to tell you you're wrong.
I still listen to the good old cassette on my rebuilt vintage decks (I have 6 decks and working on rebuilding some of my vintage reel-to-reels) and enjoy every last note :D

It's all about the music.

werd

« Reply #32 on: 23 Apr 2011, 06:07 pm »

Cut me some slack on the value decisions man, I work hard, I pay my people good wages and give them great job security. I think I've earned the right to blow some cash on a CD player. It's still costs less than a mistress and sure as heck won't drag me to hell like one!  :lol:

You are right. You will get lots of use out of it. It was also unfair of me since i  have never heard it.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 23 Apr 2011, 06:39 pm »
 Ok then how can we get one to demo at one of our NY/LI Audiosyndrome club meetings ? We are very interested. We are having a multiclub event May 21st lots of potential buyers coming.

charles

JackD201

« Reply #34 on: 26 Apr 2011, 01:19 am »
Thanks Bill, Thanks Werd  :D

I dunno Charles, gotta ask Albert I guess.

wywires

« Reply #35 on: 26 Apr 2011, 01:40 am »
Where do I sign up to be Beta Tester #2?

Alex

davenrk

« Reply #36 on: 26 Sep 2022, 12:22 pm »
Good morning
are you still using Eera Tentation cd player?