Tdac review

ken

Tdac review
« on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:06 pm »
I purchased my Tdac lightly used from a fellow AC member back in the end of April and I swear I this dac actually sounds better and better every time I listen to it.  It's extremely smooth sounding without sacraficing any detail and the imaging and soundstage are top notch.  the Stock EH B7 tubes sound ok but I swapped them out with some Siemens silver plates I had almost forgotten about and it really brought things up a couple notches.   I have never heard any other dacs aside from the Maverick (thanks Mariusz!) and Unfortunately I don't have the means financially to buy and sell alot of gear so I based my purchase on other gear I currently own from TAD which I'm very happy with but I think the my most satisfying purchase thus far has been this dimunitive little dac which has really made a huge difference in my system.  It's definitely a keeper and a strong contender in the < $1000.00 price range IMHO :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Tdac review
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2010, 11:43 pm »
I too have heard the new version Tube Audio Design's TDAC and I also really liked it. It's a very super clean sounding Dac with a crystal clear sound stage presentation. The more I listened to it, the better it got. Did you happen to get the upgraded power supply that's now available? It's said to make a substantial improvement by lowering the ground noise that'll allow even more detail to be heard. While I haven't actually heard this power supply myself, I've upgraded enough power supply's on other gear to know what type of improvement can be expected and it's pretty much SOP for me now.

High Current TAD 17.8V 3-Pound Voltage Regulated Toroid Transformer Supply

Enjoy the music Ken with your new TDAC :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

ken

Re: Tdac review
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2010, 02:46 am »
Robin,

Glad you had the opportunity to hear the Tdac and thanks for posting the pictures (it's something I should have done) the tdac isn't really  a thing of beauty  but it sure does sound good.  I still have the stock power supply but I plan on purchasing the upgraded one in the not so near future, and like you said it will probably make a signifigant difference.