Siting speakers so that they are "perpendicular to your ears" - means what?

chazz101s

New owner of M4 Triode Masters.  My apologies if my question above is dumb or is common knowledge among the Spatial Audio cognoscenti.

(Did a search and found nothing relevant.)

The instruction in the subject line is found in the literature for my speakers.  I've tried to ciome up with an image of what is meant . . . and have failed.

Unless . . . does this phrase mean to start one's siting of the speakers with NO toe-in . . . that is, zero degrees?

If "perpendicular to your ears" means that or something else, your cluing me in would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Chaz

Audiosaurusrex

Perpendicular in this regard basically means you have the speakers in front of you equally distanced apart. I think you will experience benefits being toed-in or angled towards your ears.
You are A speakers are C and D

Big Red Machine

Agreed Rex.

Do you have all the mfg recommendations to start with as well. IIRC at least 4 feet from front wall and 3 feet off side walls.

Try sitting 62% back from front wall. Not deadly critical but a decent rule of thumb intended to not plop you a null. The room dictates what's going to happen regardless.

Then you can start rotating them even if the streams cross and they cross in front of you, you may find that is the sweet spot.

It's free to experiment and use plenty of painter's tape and notes on those that make sense tomorrow.

Folks here have found good spots both slightly angled in to really crossed over heavy.

Laser pointer is super helpful.

chazz101s

As far as toe-in of the M4TMs, I've got an app that works great.

But, plz y'all, the preceding two kind replies (thanks!) do NOT say the simple thing:  What the eff is "perpendicular to your ears"?

(Related, I got through calculus in high school; perpendicular is not Greek to me.)

Thanks again, Chaz

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Why don't you ask Spatial?

mcgsxr

Not sure about the OP but my ears are on the side of my head.

So when I look at the speakers, they are perpendicular to my ears. 

No?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Fascinanting.

Spatial Audio

As far as toe-in of the M4TMs, I've got an app that works great.

But, plz y'all, the preceding two kind replies (thanks!) do NOT say the simple thing:  What the eff is "perpendicular to your ears"?

(Related, I got through calculus in high school; perpendicular is not Greek to me.)

Thanks again, Chaz

Chazz - The definition of Perpendicular: "a line at right angles to a line or plane". In this case, the plane is the speaker baffle. So perpendicular to the speaker baffle means the speakers are toed in to face directly at you. Then, experiment from there to find the best perceived soundstage reproduction in your particular system.

Clayton Shaw
Spatial Audio Lab