Advice on used Candela

alexsash

Advice on used Candela
« on: 22 Sep 2009, 07:36 pm »
I'm looking at a used Candela. The seller states that he purchased it new in Dec 06. Is there anything that I should know about this early model? Or... have there been significant changes since 06 that would make it worth looking for a newer model?

And... while I'm asking for advice... I would really prefer a SS pre... I just don't want the hassle of tubes UNLESS the sonic differences are really great. I hear everyone talk about the Candela and almost nothing about the Tempest. What's up with that?

Thanks
Stephen

djdube525

Re: Advice on used Candela
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2009, 04:36 pm »
I have no immediate feedback to tell you....

However, if you get the serial # from the seller, Klaus could likely give you the run down. You'd also be able to confirm whether or not the seller is the original owner (not sure if they stated that - but could play a factor in getting warranty work done - warranties are transferrable once)

Hope that helps!

Dave

BobC

« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2009, 04:51 pm »
Stephen,

The first couple of production runs were built slightly different than later versions.  The early version treated the HT pass through input differently in that it was passive (i believe) ie the Candela did not need to be powered on to work for HT PT.  There were some issues so the later (current) version treats this input as active, just like the others.

Mine was an early version which I had Odyssey bring up to spec.  Can't remember how much I paid, if anything, for the up grade.  Probably best to PM AlexG and ask him directly.

Bob 

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2009, 08:11 am »
As always,  CALL  ME  !!!!!  317.299.5578,  and we can talk in great detail.

Late,

Klaus

alexsash

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2009, 06:42 pm »
Thanks for your help guys... much appreciated.