Odyssey Epiphony IV Bookshelves

AlTran

Odyssey Epiphony IV Bookshelves
« on: 13 Jun 2014, 06:45 pm »
In the mid of May 2014, I was looking for a pair of small bookshelves to go with my 25 Watts/ch 845 output Single Ended mono blocks. Klaus said he has a pair of prototype Epiphony IV not yet available on the market & see if I would like to give it a try. I said sure, why not. At the time, I have the Lorelei which is great speakers but didn't match with my low power tube amps. On the evening of his arrivals in Newport Beach, I went there to pickup my speakers before the Show started. Klaus said this little pair can go down to as low as 35Hz, my eyes were almost popped out... this thing is like about 18 lbs each, Bottom 13.5"D x 7.5"W x 14.5H, top is 10.5"D,  1" tweeter & 5" woofer, I took them home & plugged in my system, the first thing I said "size doesn't matter". I immediately think of a pair of Dynaudio C1 II (est. $10,000/pr retail), this Epiphony has the speed, quickness, clarity & soundstage wall to wall of the Dyn, & vocal of the Lorelei, the bass is crisp & tight. I cannot use words to describe the sounds but you just have to hear it to believe. The cost is 10% of the Dyn. I waited 2 days after the Newport Show & called Klaus to order my 2nd pair to keep as my collection with all the upgrades such as Mundorfs caps, Groneberg wires & WBT binding posts. Klaus is the man is all that I can say.       

marflao

Re: Odyssey Epiphony IV Bookshelves
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2014, 08:38 am »
Based on AITran´s post I´ll take a guess what you´ll show at the Capital Audiofest :-)

Anyway,  I am finishing up a much more ridiculous bang for the buck system  for the Capital Audiofest...think a little over 2 K !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People will have to notice then.. I will make them notice,  everybody,  hehehehe......I'll make some more announcements later,  and will essentially call this a one-finger-salute to the industry...

Late,
Klaus

The little wonder LS and a Cyclops?!? ;-)

AlTran

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2014, 04:39 pm »
FYI... this little pair of speakers love to have more juice. I plugged in my Treasure KT88 pushpull @ 50 w/ch & result is that my eyes & mouth wide opened "SPEECHLESS & STUNNED" is all that happened. The whole room is filled with music. Btw, my listening room is 22'D x 20'W x 9'H. The Epiphony fills my room. This coming weekend, my friend will bring his Odyssey Kismet monoblocks & Candela to check out how much more these Epiphony can do... will keep posted.   

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2014, 05:43 pm »
Hello. Did Klaus mention which drivers he used in the new speakers? What are the specs?

Thanks,

Michael

marflao

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2014, 05:57 pm »
FYI... this little pair of speakers love to have more juice. I plugged in my Treasure KT88 pushpull @ 50 w/ch & result is that my eyes & mouth wide opened "SPEECHLESS & STUNNED" is all that happened. The whole room is filled with music. Btw, my listening room is 22'D x 20'W x 9'H. The Epiphony fills my room. This coming weekend, my friend will bring his Odyssey Kismet monoblocks & Candela to check out how much more these Epiphony can do... will keep posted.

Hi AlTran,

do they look like the ones at the Odyssey page (http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products-epiphonyII.html)?
In case they look different would it be possible that you post some pics?

Thanks in advance.

AlTran

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2014, 06:34 pm »
Hi Michael, Klaus uses the Usher's 1" tweeter & SB Acoustic 5" driver. The vocal on this Epiophony has this romantic & warmness that pulls you into the music.
Marflao, I'm new to the audio circle & trying to figure out to post pics. Give me your e-mail address & I'll send you some pics.

I actually did a side by side comparison with the Dyn & I must say aside from the Dyn being many times more expensive, there is nothing else that is better than this Epiphony. I compare sound & not price. I had 4 pairs of Tannoy vintage 12' & 15" & sold them all. I've been saying all good things about Epiphony & have not yet said a thing bad about them. But I have to say it for a matter of warning "you won't get any work done when listening to this pair."   

sjh500

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2014, 09:04 pm »
These sound like they are exactly what I need! As soon as my Symphonic Line Legato's sell I think I'll have Klaus make me a pair, especially if they have the same sort of vocals as the Lorelei speaker. Perfect size for my new smaller space. Thanks for the heads-up on these AlTran.

AlTran

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2014, 09:31 pm »
I sold my Lorelei 3 days prior to you listing your Legato. Look at my room size & this Epiphony fills it perfectly. Please keep in mind, these Epi definitely not in the same league with the Lorelei, but consider its compact size, price & performance is definitely the best performer I've had. btw, I already ordered my 2nd pair from Klaus with upgrades all the way to the top. I'm excited.

sjh500

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2014, 09:36 pm »
Very hard to beat the Legato/Lorelei. These will fit the bill for my new room though.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2014, 03:06 am »
hehehehehehehehe...and nope, not on the site yet...these are Epiphony project 4's....more to come.

rikhav

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jun 2014, 06:42 pm »
hehehehehehehehe...and nope, not on the site yet...these are Epiphony project 4's....more to come.

Hi Klaus
Does the Indian distributor for Odyssey carry the Epiphony IV Bookshelves

Can you help me the the dimensions of the speaker

AlTran

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jun 2014, 07:16 pm »
Hi Rikhav, the dimensions are slightly bigger than the Epiphony II. Estimated 3/4-1" bigger.

AlTran

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jun 2014, 07:18 pm »
I'm the owner of the first & second pair... hahahaha... the 2nd is being the upgraded version.

daveaux419

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jun 2014, 09:44 pm »
Can we get some pics!!  :D

marflao

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jun 2014, 06:41 am »
I'm the owner of the first & second pair... hahahaha... the 2nd is being the upgraded version.

Curious as I am ...what does the upgrade contain?
"Only" better parts for the crossover boards? Other binding posts? Maybe even other drivers??

Cheers.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jun 2014, 07:30 am »
Well,  first off,  the Epiphony project 4's are $ 995./ pr.  I did get them to stay below 1 k,  but that was not easy,  as just the expense to Dave for the cabinets went wayyyy up,  now utilizing 1 " MDF,  and that makes a big difference,  in cost and performance....as for the drivers,  I did tweak the speakers for the Usher and the SB's,  you're also looking at a couple of 100. for them...good thing that the x-over is actually very straight forward and simple...this is not an exercise of design excellence, after all,  they are below 1 K,  but a testament of months of tweaking and listening, and finding the absolute best combination of parts and drivers and cabinet structure...figuring that there is a myriad of combinations that I have not tried yet, it's  better to be  lucky than good,  I guess....can we improve ???  maybe,  but I doubt that we'd be able to for the money.  After all,  if you want to reproduce them with onesies and twosies parts,   you'll be at least at the 1 k mark.

So,  as we already use Groneberg, Mundorfs and Alphacores,  upgrades are peripheral,  such as WBT's and going to the Quattro Ref's.......

Ultimately,  Alan and his friends (and man,  they are nuts !!!))))  already have tons of exposure,  but the proof is in the pudding,  and we have 2 rooms at the CapFest just for the exposure of the smaller systems.......

And nope,  the systems contain preamp, Khartago, speakers, and Groneberg IC's and LS cables....with the Epis starting at either $ 2,200 or $ 2,300...(have to figure that out next week)
The sound so far ???   UNFREAKINGBELIEVABLEARYOUFUCKINGKIDDING MEHOWISTHISPOSSIBLE !!!!  As I said,  my one finger salute,  and I'll have it out there,  for all the world to hear......

And Alan,  nope,  sorry,  but your pairs are # 8 and 9.......

Late,
Klaus

marflao

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jun 2014, 07:50 am »

And nope,  the systems contain preamp, Khartago, speakers, and Groneberg IC's and LS cables....with the Epis starting at either $ 2,200 or $ 2,300...(have to figure that out next week

Late,
Klaus

Ehhhh....need to come back to this to reassure if I understood this correctly:
You´re presenting and offering at the Capital Audiofest a system which contains a Preamp (I assume the Candela??!!!),  a Khartago stereo amp, the Epi IV monitors and the RCA/LS Groneberg Quattro Ref cables for $ 2,200 or $2,300???

Is that correct or did I missunderstand something??!
In case this is right do you have some new Pre-/Amps in the pipeline therefore you can offer this combo at this pricepoint (and reduce your stock with "old" Candelas/Khartagos).

Cheers.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jun 2014, 09:53 am »
Naaaah,  of course not for this kind of $...this would be the $ 3300.  system......seriously.
As for the 2.2 K,  it's the Etesian preamp, which I am revamping, the Khartago,  Epis,  and Groneberg Series III cables........

And as for reducing any stock units,  man,  that is a wet dream...I haven't had any stock whatsoever (actually ,  at least a 2-3 weeks back order minimum) since January 2001...that is a continuous and counting  13 1/2 years now......!!!!!!

marflao

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jun 2014, 10:06 am »
Naaaah,  of course not for this kind of $...this would be the $ 3300.  system......seriously.
As for the 2.2 K,  it's the Etesian preamp, which I am revamping, the Khartago,  Epis,  and Groneberg Series III cables........

And as for reducing any stock units,  man,  that is a wet dream...I haven't had any stock whatsoever (actually ,  at least a 2-3 weeks back order minimum) since January 2001...that is a continuous and counting  13 1/2 years now......!!!!!!

:-)

Alright...thanks for clarification, Klaus.

[offtopic on:] Why don´t you present the Cyclops in one of the shows? Is there a certain reason why he is not shown to a wider audience? [offtopic off:]

T37

« Reply #19 on: 24 Jun 2014, 11:17 am »
The first time I met Klaus was at the SHOW in nyc back in 04. He was demoing the first addition of the epiphony speakers, and wow, ..... :DI became a customer( of the lor's). If these are markedly better get out your credit cards and clean your vynil!!!.....