Buzzing Stratos mono

usp1

Buzzing Stratos mono
« on: 4 Sep 2012, 03:41 pm »
I recently purchased a used pair of Stratos mono to pair with my maggie 1.6Qr. After about a week of workign fine, this weekend I started noticing a buzzing sound from my right speaker. The buzzing is audible during quite passages and when there is no signal. It is not the speaker as it is dead quiet when I connect it to the other mono or to a different amp. The buzzing becomes more prominent after the amps have had a chance to warm up a bit. The previous owner did not experience this problem.

Any ideas what might be causing this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

roscoeiii

Re: Buzzing Stratos mono
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2012, 03:53 pm »
Have you contacted Klaus about this? Great guy and the person who could be of the most assistance. Klaus takes great pride in his gear and great care of his customers.

geowak

« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2012, 03:57 pm »
I had a problem with two components that had both hum and buzz problems. After many, many months of trying to get the problems resolved through Odyssey, I sold the equipment to Odyssey. I hope you have better luck than I did.

usp1

« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2012, 03:58 pm »
I had a problem with two components that had both hum and buzz problems. After many, many months of trying to get the problems resolved through Odyssey, I sold the equipment to Odyssey. I hope you have better luck than I did.

That is not very encouraging...  :(

Hope I do have better luck.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2012, 06:18 pm »
Call Klaus, also insure you are using shielded cables amp to pre.

usp1

« Reply #5 on: 4 Sep 2012, 08:14 pm »
I guess I will have to call Klaus.

usp1

« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2012, 12:35 pm »
Have not been able to reach Klaus yet, but discovered that the buzzing sound goes away if the amp is not connected to a source. I tried my Dodd buffer, the line out of the EE minimax dac, and a Cary/AES AE-3 and all cause the buzzing even when they are turned off. THe Dodd is battery powered and not connected to the charger.

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2012, 12:54 pm »
Have you switched the outputs of your sources to see if the sound you are hearing switches speakers then? Or what's out swapping the sockets your amps are plugged into?

What you just wrote makes it sound more like a ground loop issue

usp1

« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2012, 01:16 pm »
I tried switching sockets and tried all combinations of connections. I am not sure if it is ground loop or not....why did it not do this for the first week or so? Also, this is more of a speaker buzz then a ground loop hum.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #9 on: 5 Sep 2012, 02:54 pm »
Strange that it developed after a week or so.  Did you try a cheater plug to lift the ground?

usp1

« Reply #10 on: 5 Sep 2012, 02:58 pm »
Not yet. Havent had much time to play with it.

usp1

« Reply #11 on: 6 Sep 2012, 12:26 am »
Roscoe - You may be correct in your diagnosis. The buzzing goes away when I connect through the my APC power conditioner.It is not something I want to do but at least it is clear that the problem is some sort of a ground loop. Now I have to figure out what I changed that caused the problem after about 10 days of playing.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #12 on: 6 Sep 2012, 03:33 am »
I biamp my rig, and with two different amps for the bottom end I get a ground loop effect.  With my recently-installed Forte Mdl 3 amp in the bottom end the buzz was different, barely noticeable, so I ignored it. 
When I plugged the system back in tonight after some storms I threw a cheater plug on the Forte.  Buzz is all but gone and the low end is much better!  Give it a try!

On my Parasound 1000 the hum was worse, but also disappeared when I ripped out the ground post on the plug.