New tweeter in RM40

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
New tweeter in RM40
« on: 18 Jan 2003, 10:54 pm »
Brian, I'm thinking about upgrading tweeters in my RM40's to the new vertical ribbon, and was wondering if you had heard the 40's with the new tweeter, and could comment on the sound, specifically if it gives a little better horizontal dispersion (ie, the lower crossover point allows the mid panels to never approach beaming).

Also, has anyone actually done the upgrade?  I understand there needs to be a new cutout, but how involved is this?

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
RMX tweeter
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2003, 04:30 pm »
The RMX tweeter can be installed by cutting into the front baffle with a jigsaw, since its magnet is square instead of round.  We supply adapters and dressplates and a new crossover (7 kHz) which you must also install.  Price is $400pr.

JoshK

New tweeter in RM40
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2003, 05:06 pm »
Hey Tyson,

I ordered the new tweeter as well as the TRT caps. I will tell you how it goes for me if you like.

reefrus

New tweeter in RM40
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2003, 05:16 pm »
Hi Tyson,
I too,order a new pair of RM40/TRT/FS(new tweeter) last week.Look forward to it.But I still like to stop by listen to you RM40 sometimes,just get the feel for it.
Steve

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
New tweeter in RM40
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2003, 06:10 pm »
I've got time this coming weekend.  Just let me know when is a good time for you. . .

reefrus

New tweeter in RM40
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2003, 06:14 pm »
Thanks,I'll call you in the midweek.

shokunin

New tweeter in RM40
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2003, 11:15 pm »
Does the new crossover simply add-on to the existing crossover? How does this affect people who already have the TRT caps?  Will we lose some of the TRT caps by installing the new/addon crossover?

lifewithmusic

New tweeter in RM40
« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2003, 08:34 am »
Bump.

I'm interested in Brian's response the above post, and to the question of how the RM/X tweeter differs in sound and dispersion from the two spiral ribbon tweeters in the standard RM-40.

Brian?

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
tweeters
« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2003, 10:54 pm »
The horizontal dispersion of the FS tweeter is much better, unbeamy up to 25kHz since the diaphragm is only 3/8" wide.  Vertically the dispersion is about the same as two spirals.  The main reason for getting the FS is because it sounds so much better (13 mg moving mass vs 100mg for each spiral).

lifewithmusic

New tweeter in RM40
« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2003, 08:39 am »
Brian, do you have graphs or other data that illustrate the horizontal and vertical dispersion of the new tweeter?

lifewithmusic

New tweeter in RM40
« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2003, 05:14 am »
Bump.

Do you have any graphs on dispersion data you can post here or on your website?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
HET audition
« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2003, 09:29 pm »
I have one copy of the new HET & a spiral tweeter here.  If anyone wants to hear it, you can plug it directly into your amp with an accompanying XO.  Just send me a deposit or a CC authorization.  As much as I am happy with the spirals, the HET is far better.  Personally, I'd only reommend it if you have the rest of your system & room well sorted out already.  But it is better from top to bottom, way better.