Bugle Comparison +/- 9V vs +/- 15 power supply

GarMan

« on: 9 Mar 2004, 04:17 am »
Looking for some feedback from Bugle owners who's listened to the amp in the duel 9V batteries version and the +/-15V power supply.  Any noticable difference in sound?  Did the extra headroom improve dynamics?

thanks,
Gar.

Jonpike

« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2004, 10:37 am »
Well..   did some comparison testing once with some 12v gel cell batteries I got on a sale.  It seemed to provide some increased dynamics..  but it wasn't a serious test,  and I think the 9v batts were getting somewhat low.

Hard to say from that,  but it probably helps.

Carlman

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2004, 01:22 pm »
I'll be comparing that exactly very soon.
I have the completed Bugle with batteries in use now.  I am buying a completed power supply from Jim very soon... probably today or tomorrow.  When I get it, I'll be putting it into a new case.

There's a chance I'll be comparing a modified Bugle as well to the stock version.  

I'm looking for a little better dynamics and didn't realize how much I listen to records.  

So, stay tuned... but it may be a few weeks before I do the comparison(s).

-C

78rpm

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2004, 05:51 pm »
I am using a DC/DC converter (24V to 15 volt symmetrical) to power my bugle directly from the firewire port (rated 28V/15W) of a macintosh computer.
The +/-15v supply seems to be more dynamic than the battery supply, however the measure is purely subjective.

The DCDC converter supply was intended for another project but I gave it a try with the bugle. I was expecting to get a lot of noise but the noise floor was almost as good as the battery operation. It also avoids any ground loop.