Servo sub base for an NX Studio monitor floor stander?

Jdstrong

I'm contemplating NX Studios to replace my floor standing DIY speakers. However, after consultation with the decor committee, I now know that the look of the existing floor standing speakers is strongly preferred to a stand-mounted monitor.

So now my challenge becomes - could I come up with a floor standing version of the NX Studio?

My plan would be to add one or two servo subs at some point to replace my current large ported sub. In the future, I expect we will relocate, and I hope for an opportunity to identify a better room for the system, but for now, this is it.

My questions:

- If I were to build a tall, floor standing NX Studio (the lower section of the baffle may be tricky to fabricate, but possible I think), could that work? I would maintain the design for the woofer enclosure  - the bottom portion would largely be empty, and I assume would need appropriate bracing/ballast etc. What issues would there be with such an approach?

- Or, I suppose I could build a simple box base that matched the speakers - would look largely like an integrated tower.

- If I wanted to build a skinny, side firing servo sub (12") as a base, how wide would it need to be?  Specifically, assuming I install a grill covering the driver, what dimension should I assume from the face of the driver/grill to the back of the driver? I'm anticipating each side of the enclosure would be 1.5" thick. I recognize that this location for the subs may not be ideal. But if I cannot come up with an acceptably sleek design, it is a non-starter anyway.

- I'm assuming it would be better to construct the sub in a separate cabinet, rather than as part of a single tower with internal dividers.

I may be better off with Encore X-SLS. (I think I don't prefer the X-MTM due to the larger size). Then I could add an X-CS.

With the NX Studio route - I'm anticipating no center channel speaker - or - if Danny develops one - maybe add it later.

I welcome any thoughts. Thanks in advance

Hafgrim

Re: Servo sub base for an NX Studio monitor floor stander?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2023, 03:32 pm »
You could get a pair of rythmic fm8 subwoofers to act as stands.
Here a few examples plus my setup with nx-studios but with subs a foot away.

Jdstrong

« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2023, 04:55 pm »
Thanks, I was not aware of those. Looks like an interesting option. If they were available as a kit, I might be able to do a more coordinated cabinet design. From what I can see on the Rythmik website, they no longer offer a kit. Wonder why.

How do you like them together with the NX Studios?

Hafgrim

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2023, 09:57 pm »
You might be able to get the woofers and amp if you email them.

I filter out the lows on the nxstudio with an inline filter and have the subs crossing to the speakers at 100 hz.
This shores up the weakness that the nxstudio have if pulled into the room.

Jdstrong

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2023, 12:40 am »
Thanks, I did email Rythmik. It seems the kit is not possible. And, after further consultation with the decor committee, I am likely constrained to floor standing speakers. So probably X- MTM or X SLS.  Thanks for the suggestion.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2023, 03:04 am »
Thanks, I did email Rythmik. It seems the kit is not possible. And, after further consultation with the decor committee, I am likely constrained to floor standing speakers. So probably X- MTM or X SLS.  Thanks for the suggestion.

I have X-SLS in my living room and they work just fine.

Jdstrong

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2023, 11:30 am »
…and they look great.  Probably a good choice for me. With that placement, maybe no need for a center channel? Have you ever used one?

corndog71

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2023, 02:30 pm »
…and they look great.  Probably a good choice for me. With that placement, maybe no need for a center channel? Have you ever used one?

Yes, in a previous apartment where I had more space.  I used X-Statiks and the matching X-Voce center channel.  I also had X-Omnis providing surround duty.  That combo along with a servo sub was awesome!

Sadly, I just don’t have the space at my current place.  I also can’t wall mount my tv which would allow for the center channel to sit on the stand.
The SLS are fine without a center in a small to medium sized room.  I’m not even using a sub!
Of course if you want more bass, more efficiency, and better power handling, then go for the MTM.

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2023, 03:00 pm »
Yes, in a previous apartment where I had more space.  I used X-Statiks and the matching X-Voce center channel.  I also had X-Omnis providing surround duty.  That combo along with a servo sub was awesome!

Sadly, I just don’t have the space at my current place.  I also can’t wall mount my tv which would allow for the center channel to sit on the stand.
The SLS are fine without a center in a small to medium sized room.  I’m not even using a sub!
Of course if you want more bass, more efficiency, and better power handling, then go for the MTM.

Corndog,

If you happen to still have the Omni's, and they happen to be in Moho, and you want to get rid of them.... let me know.  :)  I recently found X-Statiks in Moho and X-Voce and have already upgraded them.  Definitely in the market for Omni's in moho.  :)

Robert

corndog71

« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2023, 03:52 pm »
Mine are black.

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2023, 05:35 pm »
Mine are black.

Shoot!  Moho Omni's are a bit of a holy grail for me at this point.  Although X-Statiks were and I found some of those.  So one never knows!

Robert

corndog71

« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2023, 07:08 pm »
Yeah, the moho ones were pretty.  I sometimes contemplate veneering or repainting the ones I have. 

skalos

« Reply #12 on: 3 Apr 2023, 08:07 pm »
Hello,

I built these a few years ago and the decorating committee is still ok with the look.  I am glad too, as I never want to lift and move these again.

Gr-research 12" sealed servo-woofer with an external amp to sit below my N3Ss.

Best,

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #13 on: 3 Apr 2023, 09:18 pm »
Hello,

I built these a few years ago and the decorating committee is still ok with the look.  I am glad too, as I never want to lift and move these again.

Gr-research 12" sealed servo-woofer with an external amp to sit below my N3Ss.

Best,

That looks so damn cool.

Jdstrong

« Reply #14 on: 5 Apr 2023, 12:15 am »
Very cool indeed. Nice job! I That's what I was thinking of. My timeline has extended, so I'm not in a rush.

skalos

« Reply #15 on: 6 Apr 2023, 07:42 pm »
Tyson and JDStrong,

Thanks for the high praise. 

The side firing woofers don't seem to degrade the sound much if at all. Also, I get no ringing from the granite.

I found a car paint side jobber for the N3Ss but he disappeared when I had the woofers ready so I painted those (you can tell diy paint from 5 feet). 

I had the granite cut from my kitchen countertop remnants.

I may be upgrading to NX Studios in the future.

Thanks again,

Steven