Jordan Eikona II Project

joessportster

• Set & Single Driver Bliss
Jordan Eikona II Project
« on: 4 Feb 2022, 10:06 pm »
Hello All, I built a Marlow Clone (sorta) Its the same dimensions, My own idea of a port, just used 3/8" blondwood ply from lowes. I love these mini Monitors but it got me going.

So I bought 2 new pair of Eikona II and mocked up a TL3 cabinet from MDF (wanted to see if I felt like the expense of Baltic Birch etc... was worth the effort.

Does anyone know how long the Jordan Eikona takes to break in ?  I am really liking the sound as is but I have to admit on some material it gets a bit overbearing.

I am paring the Speakers with my Cherry Digital amps and Audio Note 4.1x DAC No pre-amp files are played using J-River and I adjust the volume with J-River. I play all my files at 44.1 / 16.  I moved away from Vinyl some time ago to date this is the  top 2 or 3 setups I have owned / heard.

Thanks Joe

seikosha

Re: Jordan Eikona II Project
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2022, 01:40 pm »
If you are not liking what you hear after 30-50 hours, move on.  That said, have you tried a different amp.  Generally speaking, my experience is that  single drivers prefer a much lower damping factor than what class D amps provide.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2022, 02:15 pm »
Welcome!

I'm a long time fan of single driver and transmission line loudspeakers and have followed Jordan on and off for years.  Glad to see they're still around.  Ended up going with Fostex F200a drivers (8 inch, no whizzer, AlNiCo, rated 30-20,000 Hz raw, 8 ohms, 89 dB/w/m) and got them EnABL'd by Bud Purvine himself in Martin King inspired transmission line floor standing cabinets built by Bob Brines in 2004.  The F200a's have a rich/full sound, nothing like most Fostex drivers.  Have added "Late Ceiling Splash" ambience tweeters ala Duke LeJeune.  They suit my tastes and 8ft x 13ft x 21ft room very well in a mid-field setup.  Am driving them with 70 watt Temple Audio mono-blocks streaming most of my music.  Originally a big fan of Irving M. Fried starting in the 70's.

Have been leery of the stated efficiency of the old Jordan 92's and a believer of drivers with an efficiency around 92 dB/w/m.  Surprised to see the price of the Eilona II driver.  Am a fan of SINGLE driver designs. 

joessportster

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2022, 03:11 pm »
If you are not liking what you hear after 30-50 hours, move on.  That said, have you tried a different amp.  Generally speaking, my experience is that  single drivers prefer a much lower damping factor than what class D amps provide.

I read a thread where Ted Jordan himself used Digital amps with the Jordan Eikona drivers, the thread was discussing the big boy Jordans with 4 drivers per side. I would "LOVE" to hear those. I have found though the larger the speaker the harder it is to integrate and the harder it is to get them to disappear in the room. I think the TL3 is an almost perfect balance in my room

joessportster

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2022, 03:11 pm »
Welcome!

I'm a long time fan of single driver and transmission line loudspeakers and have followed Jordan on and off for years.  Glad to see they're still around.  Ended up going with Fostex F200a drivers (8 inch, no whizzer, AlNiCo, rated 30-20,000 Hz raw, 8 ohms, 89 dB/w/m) and got them EnABL'd by Bud Purvine himself in Martin King inspired transmission line floor standing cabinets built by Bob Brines in 2004.  The F200a's have a rich/full sound, nothing like most Fostex drivers.  Have added "Late Ceiling Splash" ambience tweeters ala Duke LeJeune.  They suit my tastes and 8ft x 13ft x 21ft room very well in a mid-field setup.  Am driving them with 70 watt Temple Audio mono-blocks streaming most of my music.  Originally a big fan of Irving M. Fried starting in the 70's.

Have been leery of the stated efficiency of the old Jordan 92's and a believer of drivers with an efficiency around 92 dB/w/m.  Surprised to see the price of the Eilona II driver.  Am a fan of SINGLE driver designs.

I have been using single driver speakers for YEARS, I have used Fostex, Lii-Audio, Lowther, AER, Voxativ, Zenith, and others that dont come to mind currently. Used them mainly in front loaded horns, Back loaded horns or open baffles. I would love to see a pic of your speakers
While the Jordans are indeed sold as a single drivers,  and I have used them as such in both Open Baffle (MJK Design) and mini monitors the TL3 uses 2 drivers per side. Adds to the dynamics and Bass in a good way. Really enjoying the TL3

joessportster

« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2022, 03:23 pm »
The pic is my Test pair of cabinets the weight on top is holding the top plate down and the bases are not connected allowing the weight of the cabinet to seal then. I also do not have the proper angle hair damping material (Its on the way) from what I hear out of  my test cabinets it is time to search out some Baltic Birch and go all in  :lol:

WC

« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2022, 08:11 pm »
I built a pair of Eikona 2 drivers in a Miniline enclosure. Break in seemed to be on the short end like on the order of 10 to 20 hours. I built them as monitors to use them as high end drivers with a bass driver below them covering the low end. Still building amps...

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2022, 09:14 pm »

I agree. FR drivers often sound best with no damping at all, aka current source amplifier. This gets rid of the shoutiness.

More info on current source amps: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1450544002

joessportster

« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2022, 09:28 pm »
I agree. FR drivers often sound best with no damping at all, aka current source amplifier. This gets rid of the shoutiness.

More info on current source amps: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1450544002

I am sure there is room at the table for many amps..........I do appreciate the advice, but I am never big on one approach solves all

http://www.ejjordan.co.uk/tla-testimonials/

"On to the listening – a selection of Ian’s playlist and some of my digital tracks.  Ian explained he hadn’t experimented with the placement of the Jordan’s, and thought spikes may be beneficial.

His Class D amp and the Jordan’s work exceptionally well together, the speakers delivering the Eikona sound I hear from my single cone Reflex 7’s and the DCR’s, but oh so much more so!  The speakers remain lightning fast, delivering timing without smear, adding weight to the bass without any bloat.

At louder than normal volumes the music remains clear without any evidence of the vocals becoming ‘shouty’.

Whilst not suffering from speaker envy, I was wondering if I could somehow sneak the Jordan’s into my car without Ian noticing."

JLM

« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2022, 02:42 pm »
Check out my system for a picture of my loudspeakers (just updated).  The 3/4" MDF cabinets are 46" x 11" x 15" with one angled fold that runs the height of the cabinet (front baffle is double layered).  The interior partition is laminated with drywall and fiberglass on the driver side.  The loudspeaker vents on the back 18" from the top.  The black oval is there to extend the driver out away from the partition.  Back in my purist days I eliminated the binding posts.  Like the angled chamber to direct back wave away from the driver.  The loudspeakers were commissioned.

Have used a SET tube amp, a push-pull tube amp, chip amps, a number of digital amps, even a class T amp with them.  The SET was too weak, the class T did remarkably well, chip amps were the rage and supposedly well suited for single driver loudspeakers, the push-pull amp was OK but didn't suit my lifestyle.  The latest class D I've settled on have been from Temple Audio in jolly old England.  The F200a is rated at 27 watts continuous (8 ohms) and 80 watts peak. 

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2022, 07:11 pm »
I have a set of FREE Hawking Memorial Obelisk enclosures which are rebated for Eikona.

You just have to pick them up. Can alos be refitted for Alpair 10.3, maybe Alpair 11ms.

http://wodendesign.com/downloads/HawkingMemorialObelisk-0v81-090418.pdf

dave

joessportster

« Reply #11 on: 6 Feb 2022, 09:17 pm »
I have a set of FREE Hawking Memorial Obelisk enclosures which are rebated for Eikona.

You just have to pick them up. Can alos be refitted for Alpair 10.3, maybe Alpair 11ms.

http://wodendesign.com/downloads/HawkingMemorialObelisk-0v81-090418.pdf

dave

Thats an awfully nice offer, As usual though to far from me. Looks like a dandy cabinet

joessportster

« Reply #12 on: 6 Feb 2022, 09:18 pm »
Check out my system for a picture of my loudspeakers (just updated).  The 3/4" MDF cabinets are 46" x 11" x 15" with one angled fold that runs the height of the cabinet (front baffle is double layered).  The interior partition is laminated with drywall and fiberglass on the driver side.  The loudspeaker vents on the back 18" from the top.  The black oval is there to extend the driver out away from the partition.  Back in my purist days I eliminated the binding posts.  Like the angled chamber to direct back wave away from the driver.  The loudspeakers were commissioned.

Have used a SET tube amp, a push-pull tube amp, chip amps, a number of digital amps, even a class T amp with them.  The SET was too weak, the class T did remarkably well, chip amps were the rage and supposedly well suited for single driver loudspeakers, the push-pull amp was OK but didn't suit my lifestyle.  The latest class D I've settled on have been from Temple Audio in jolly old England.  The F200a is rated at 27 watts continuous (8 ohms) and 80 watts peak.

Thanks I will give it a look

joessportster

« Reply #13 on: 6 Feb 2022, 09:25 pm »
Listening last night for a few hours. It was an ear awakening session. Its absolutely hard to believe such a small driver can produce such prodigious BASS. My Son commented he could feel the bass, I agree It kind of kicks you in the chest and vibrates the furniture. Listening to Drum tracks from Chesky and Sheffield was CRAZY GOOD...........Previously the best Drum reproduction I had ever heard was 2 15" drivers (Lii F-15 and Emm. Alpha 15, in an OB design)

Clarity is VERY good as well, Cymbals just shimmer to death (No Sizzle / Static)

Fun project with great results, so far

JLM

« Reply #14 on: 7 Feb 2022, 01:32 pm »
Thanks I will give it a look

Unfortunately the F200a and it's little brother, the F120a, are out of production and Bob Brines has retired.  Plus there is no longer a Jordan distributor in the Western Hemisphere according to their website.  Glad to read that you've had a wonderful listen to your loudspeakers. 

ianlenco

« Reply #15 on: 25 Mar 2023, 08:45 pm »
I've built quite a few speakers using Jordan speakers and although the earlier JX92s model could be shouty if not toed in to cross in front of the listener, I've never had any problem with Eikonas being shouty.  I've built single driver cabs, twin driver cabs and 4 driver per side TLs but my favourite is the twin driver TL3.  It has nearly as much extension as the 4 driver TLA but seems, to my ears at least, to have a bit more air.

Here's mine, built from translam birch ply when that wasn't as expensive as it is now :(

joessportster

« Reply #16 on: 26 Mar 2023, 01:10 am »
My Latest Eikona TL. I have since put the 4th driver per side, Wired according to the Jordan site in series parallel. I did a twist with the 4th driver though I have it firing straight up. Still feeling like the Jordans are my endgame........