UpTone Regen

jcris

UpTone Regen
« on: 4 Apr 2021, 08:56 pm »
Hey,
I’m thinking about buying one of the ISO REGENs from UpTone. What has been your experience? I’m currently using a usb music streamer dac  from HRT. It was affordable and does the job and I’m wondering how much it might improve the sound of my system. My source is a 2012 Mac Mini with a solid state drive. I’m thinking about upgrading the DAC as well.
Thanks

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: UpTone Regen
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2021, 01:29 am »
I have the regular Regen and can't comment on the Iso.  But the Regen's benefits are system dependent.  I have several systems and it improves the sound in a couple and the other 2 systems it sounds worse.

My advice is that if you are planning on upgrading your DAC, then put the money to your DAC and a good USB cable.

oskar

« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2021, 05:27 pm »
I have the regen (not ISO) and have it connected to a non optimized Mac Mini with a Supra USB cable. I use the standard switching supply that came with.
Being a cheap bugger I'm drawn to inexpensive tweaks and thought I'd give a spin. It might be an incremental improvement I said to myself. With my modest DAC and Mini it was a huge improvement. I was really taken aback.
I'd love to try the ISO one day. I've heard it betters mine across the board.
I'm sure they have a return policy so why not try one.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2021, 05:39 pm »
I  forgot to mention that I found the Regen works better with the Audioquest Jitterbug. I don't know if it would improve  the sound with the Iso Regen.

The benefits of the Regen can be dramatic or subtle but as I said, it did worsen the sound in 2 systems and I know of several people that found it to worsen the sound.  But I think that most people do get improved sound.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2021, 12:16 am »
I'm only familiar with the original USB Regen, it definitely changed the sound. Our Tucson Audiophile Group tried out the Audioquest Jitterbug, Uptone Regen and Intona in different homes and the results were system dependent, the Regen and other filters were system dependent, some guys liked what they did, some didn't.

My music server incorporates 3 linear regulated power supplies along with the Paul Pang Audio Grade V2 USB Card and the USB Regen did not improve the sound.

I used 3 power supplies with the Uptone Audio USB Regen:
1.) stock switching supply
2.) Breeze Audio linear power supply
3.) Poseidon's Voice Katalyst 5v linear regulated power supply
I ended up using the Katalyst, it is the best of the bunch and did the least damage.

So what didn't I like? The Regen smeared the imaging, 3-dimensional images were now spread wider, sometimes speaker to speaker. Points in space became blobs in space. The sound with the Regen was fine, it did no harm but if you have great imaging and depth the filters can kill the magic. I can see why some reviews even mention an increase in bass, I think there is a slight increase in volume. I experimented by tweaking the volume up just a hair when the Regen was removed and a lot of the differences disappeared except for loss of image specificity, all 3 filters made my system sound worse in that area.

In the final analysis we discovered that the cleaner your power supply and electronics, the more harm these devices do. As our members upgraded their power supplies and music servers they ended up selling their filters. Nobody in our group are using the filters anymore.

Hardware with a lot of line noise like laptops, computers (Mac Mini's?) and music servers using the motherboard USB output would probably benefit from the USB Regen but in my experience adding another layer to a tuned system mucks things up. My recommendation is try before you buy.

bacobits1

« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2021, 02:35 am »
About 3 years ago went through all this Regen and Irona nonsence stuff. Expensive Courios usb cables all of it 2 jitterbugs. Thought I heard a difference for the better with the Irona only. That was with a laptop usb cable via a Yggdrasil 2 , usb 5 card installed.

Simply eliminated the laptop and not use USB and very happy, i  did. Damn boxes all over the place.
 System dependant for sure. So listen first if you can my advice.

You don't hear much of this too much anymore.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2021, 03:43 pm »
Great advice from WGH and Bacobits. I borrowed an Intona from a friend and it works well with DAC's that are not Galvanically Isolated.  It greatly improved the sound in my son's system.  As far as the Regen is concerned, in some systems it lifted a veil from the music and smoothed out some high frequency nasties.  On other systems it took detail away and muddied the sound.

One other benefit of the Regen is that it improved the sound of bad sounding USB cables, especially cables that sounded bright.  A few years ago we did a USB shootout with 5 people and some cables sounded way too bright and one sounded muddy.  The Regen improved the sound in my reference system.

The Jitterbug worked to make things sound a little clearer.  When I tried  it with my Luxman DAC  and my  desktop computer that I built with custom components and low distortion power supply it made things sound too bright but clearer. It worked better in my bedroom system and my son's.  You can use the JB with the Regen and the results are variable.

jcris

« Reply #7 on: 6 Apr 2021, 05:28 pm »
Thanks everyone for your responses,
At this point I’m not going to persue the iso regen or similar. I’ve recently purchased a very nice pair of single driver speakers that I’m using with 2A3 monoblocks and a 6SN7 based preamp. The source is currently a Mac Mini with which I’m using a Galen Carol usb cable to an HRT music streamer 2.   What do you think of this setup? Suggestions please for improvements? I’m using JRiver as my player and all interconnects and are diy from Chris VenHaus. The speaker cables are decent store bought whose name escapes me just now. I’m currently considering improvements with the DAC as the first priority but options are confusing. I’m thinking about spending about 500- 750 on dac. Experienced suggestions greatly appreciated
Jcris

jcris

« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2021, 05:42 pm »
I should also mention the Mac mini uses the stock switching power supply and all power cords are off the shelf nothing special. My entire system is powered from a radio shack power strip. Horrible I know. So improvements there are also high in the queue
Thanks again

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 6 Apr 2021, 06:20 pm »
The AQ Jitterbug for me makes a slight  improvement. They're not too expensive and I'd you don't care for it they resell at a good price or maybe Audio Advisor has a return policy?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2021, 02:29 am »
Thanks everyone for your responses,
At this point I’m not going to persue the iso regen or similar. I’ve recently purchased a very nice pair of single driver speakers that I’m using with 2A3 monoblocks and a 6SN7 based preamp. The source is currently a Mac Mini with which I’m using a Galen Carol usb cable to an HRT music streamer 2.   What do you think of this setup? Suggestions please for improvements? I’m using JRiver as my player and all interconnects and are diy from Chris VenHaus. The speaker cables are decent store bought whose name escapes me just now. I’m currently considering improvements with the DAC as the first priority but options are confusing. I’m thinking about spending about 500- 750 on dac. Experienced suggestions greatly appreciated
Jcris

I would look for a player better than JRiver.  JR has great features and user interface but it is midfi sounding.  Give Audirvana, HQ player a listen.  Both have a free trial period.  Also give Hysolid a try.  It is a free program.  All 3 blow JR out of the water for sound quality.  I use JR to rip music from CD's and thats it.

https://www.hysolid.com/

https://audirvana.com/

https://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html  -this is HQ player

I suggest trying all 3 and compare.

Hysolid uses your cell phone to control it.  Audirvana you can control via computer or cellphone app.  The app works well with an Iphone and is spotty with android.  You can also remote in with Windows desktop remote with a laptop with Audirvana.  That's what I do.

jcris

« Reply #11 on: 7 Apr 2021, 11:41 am »
Thanks greyhound fan,
I do very much appreciate your advice regarding a player. I will look into each of those as I would agree that JRiver may not be the best choice.
Jcris

rbbert

« Reply #12 on: 7 Apr 2021, 12:16 pm »
Euphony Stylus also has many proponents (saying it is the best music playing software)

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #13 on: 7 Apr 2021, 05:33 pm »
Euphony Stylus also has many proponents (saying it is the best music playing software)

Interesting, it looks like you have to boot from a jump drive as it is an OS that is Linux based.

I currently use Bug Head Infinity Blade for critical listening and Audirvana for casual listening.  I have not found a program that beats Bug Head.  There are over 100 versions of BH and they all sound different.  It is a great program if you want to listen to whole albums or playlists, otherwise it is a  pain to use as it clears your memory and writes  to memory so it loads slow.