Bowers & Wilkins Speakers sold in Magnolia Home Theater (Best Buy stores) WOW!

Pez

if they are going to move into big box stores and this will naturally involve moving production offshore where they can have a product cheaply built.

If this does continue, it will not make any sense to purchase products from these “so-called” high end audio companies because I believe that quality will be defiantly lacking.

I have to disagree with you on this point (well maybe not disagree, but rather I have a few things to add) on two fronts. 1st Many of these companies actually leverage sales of low end products for R&D for top of the line products that would otherwise lack funding. You make a flagship piece not to make money, but to give the perception of savvy and advancement.

2nd point claiming that the drop in quality having only to do with bottom line is missing a major issue. That is consumer ignorance/lack of interest in said products. The quality of products consumers have an appreciation for like Apple products only get better as they get cheaper. I guarantee that the main reason for any drop in quality is due to economics. either costs of manufacturing going up because of lower quantities of supplies being purchased by the manufacturers or as you said the manufacturer is trying to get away with padding their margins by using cheaper and inferior parts or manufacturing techniques.

Napalm

corporate greed

Nah. The "corporation" is not greedy. It's the board and the CEO and it happens to most public owned companies. They will "grow" the company (by mergers, acquisitions, and a larger customer base through cheap crappy products) in order to justify larger and larger compensations and bonuses. Eventually they will run it into the ditch, but they'll jump at the last moment with the golden parachutes..... That's what's happening when you manage some other people's money.....

Nap.

Napalm

The quality of products consumers have an appreciation for like Apple products only get better as they get cheaper.

Like the new antennas?

Nap.  :lol:

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Nah. The "corporation" is not greedy. It's the board and the CEO and it happens to most public owned companies. They will "grow" the company (by mergers, acquisitions, and a larger customer base through cheap crappy products) in order to justify larger and larger compensations and bonuses. Eventually they will run it into the ditch, but they'll jump at the last moment with the golden parachutes..... That's what's happening when you manage some other people's money.....

Nap.

Nap,

You are forgetting that many of them will put their hand out to government and receive hundreds of billions of dollars in bail-out money.

:duh:

Be well...

skunark

Could this mean the end of a few mom and pop HiFi stores?

Two stereo shops in my area sell Rotel with one also selling B&W (all series) and Classe.   I've noticed recently they've brought in two other speaker lines that directly compete with B&W, so I'm curious if this news is related.   The place that sells the complete B&W Group catalog also brought in a direct competitor with Rotel and the Classe line is either getting dropped or getting updated as they have the demo on clearance.

Since these stores have been around for years, I'm sure they will be fine but smaller shops in other places might find it difficult to directly compete with Best Buy

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Hi Folks,

I think one of the salient questions that needs to be asked is ‘why are the traditional high quality audio dealers not being supported by a large enough customer base to stay in business?’

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Hi Folks,

I think one of the salient questions that needs to be asked is ‘why are the traditional high quality audio dealers not being supported by a large enough customer base to stay in business?’

james

...money, money, money :|

al.

john1970

Hi Folks,

james

James,

Two possible reasons come to mind:

1) Poor economic conditions
2) Average person is into MP3, and probably does not care about high quality audio. 

John

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So it really comes down to the 'buyer' and his 'needs' or 'wants' have changed and any company that wants to stay in business will have to adapt?

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So it really comes down to the 'buyer' and his 'needs' or 'wants' have changed and any company that wants to stay in business will have to adapt?

james

..if the company still wants to offer quality this kind of adaption won't work. at a certain point everything has its price.

al.

Robert D

Will  Best Buy in Canada be selling the  the B&W line up ?

800D'S would be a nice Combo with my gear !

Robert

Robert D

Got sord of my Answer !!

The Magnolia Design Centers and the freestanding Magnolia A/V stores will add the top-end Diamond 800 series of freestanding speakers priced up to $25,000/pair

Robert

mfsoa

For everyone convinced that audio gear prices are a scam, I say Go for it!

It's an enviable position to be in, to know that you can easily produce a product of much higher quality, at a much lower price, than the dozens and dozens of companies that you'll be competing against.

I am curious, though, where your sense of superiority comes from? Are your technical skills that much better than, say, Danny at GR, or are you saying that the lifetime of effort he has put into this field does not contribute value to his products?

Are your marketing skills so much better than anyone elses that you know you can skimp on cost and still make a profit w/out needing an outstanding product to back it up?

I had no idea it was so easy to make lots of $$ in the audio biz...  :roll:

-Mike

Laundrew

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

james

I believe that individual disposable incomes have been severely eroded over the last few years. Individual’s “need” to keep a roof over their heads and put food on the table even though they may “want“ an awesome audio system or new plasma TV.

I remember when I was notified by my satellite provider about an impending rate increase with no increase in service, I just cancelled my service. Why did they want to increase their rates - because they can. It is also much easier to leave a $7000.00 CD player on the store shelf if an individual believes it to be overpriced and of low quality. 

We let these corporations do this to us. How many individuals here on audio circle pick-up the phone or write a corporation or their MP /  MMP and express their opinions? You may say that you are only one person and it will not make any difference - when enough snowflakes get together, they call it an avalanche.

Could it also be that many of these audio dealers have alienated their clients with their demigoded, starched-suit snobbery? I know that one store in particular where I experienced this behaviour is now closed and I must say “good riddance.”     

As for adapting, could Bryston still supply the same quality in their audio products if a reduction in product price occurs on the sales floor? Would they still be able to manufacture products in Peterborough? All of a sudden, the 20 cent capacitor would be replacing the $3.00 capacitor. Would a twenty year warranty still be offered on their audio equipment - I highly doubt it.

The issues from the previous recession were never addressed, only money - our money,  was thrown at the problem and a very short lived “stay” occurred. Add to this, higher taxes and it will not be long until a very fragile economy collapses   

Be well…

Napalm

Hi Folks,

james

1) Convenience (distance, parking lot, business hours)
2) Customer service (knowledgeable people, well mannered, trying to help not to up sell, after-sale service)
3) Product range (how well it addresses customer's needs and wants)
4) Price; which for most people trumps everything else

Nap.

Napalm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

james

We all want the same thing for decades: reliable gear that consistently produces good sound. Nothing changed.

Nap.

Napalm

Will  Best Buy in Canada be selling the  the B&W line up ?

800D'S would be a nice Combo with my gear !

Robert

In order to keep this thread civil I will refrain from commenting on these speakers aesthetics.

Nap.  8)

Laundrew

For everyone convinced that audio gear prices are a scam, I say Go for it!
-Mike

When you look at high end audio equipment on average - I believe it to be a bargain. Many individuals will most likely “up-grade” their equipment long before it reaches its half life. When you consider that these products are only intended for a very small portion of the public, high quality and the amount of R&D that is involved, the prices (on average) are very reasonable.

In my circumstance, I am extremely happy with my Bryston amplifiers and have no reason to upgrade. Lets say that I won a lottery, if I did replace these amplifiers - it would most likely be a decision borne of vanity.

My only concern is that corporations “cutting corners” and diminishing the over-all quality of their products and then they would no longer be a bargain.

Be well… 

Laundrew

In order to keep this thread civil I will refrain from commenting on these speakers aesthetics.

Nap.  8)

I think they look awesome  :thumb:

Be well...

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
+1 on "they look awesome" :dance: