Amplifier Clipping

VOLKS

Re: Amplifier Clipping
« Reply #80 on: 12 Jun 2010, 02:47 am »
L890s

http://www.jbl.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=L890CH-H&accT=1&tsT=0&ovT=1

review: http://hometheaterreview.com/jbl-studio-l-series-l890-floorstanding-loudspeaker-reviewed/

Ive always liked the  JBL   L890 speaker........good bang for a grand.Great home theater speaker as well..........naturally for the price they dont have the bass of the 1400`s,but they also lack the `Brightness`which have always pushed me away from the 1400`s,but of course they are 2 totally different speakers...........cant go wrong with the L890`s

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #81 on: 12 Jun 2010, 03:03 am »

Ive always liked the  JBL   L890 speaker........good bang for a grand.Great home theater speaker as well..........naturally for the price they dont have the bass of the 1400`s,but they also lack the `Brightness`which have always pushed me away from the 1400`s,but of course they are 2 totally different speakers...........cant go wrong with the L890`s

Well, I like them too. I got them for $850 with shipping. But this whole search for better speakers will come to an end if these models I'm looking at are not satisfying to me. I will wait until something else comes along.

Basically, I feel I'm not getting the most out of the Bryston equipment with the L890s. However, are these other speakers worth almost 9-10 times the price? With the exception of the Klipsch, which is 3-4 times the price.

Napalm

« Reply #82 on: 12 Jun 2010, 08:56 am »

You will probably still need true confirmation from Paradigm, but from Home Theatre Magazine's December, 2008 article "Paradigm Reference Signature S8 Speaker System"......

"Paradigm is notable among speaker manufacturers for making so many of its speakers’ components in-house. On these speakers, only the cabinets are outsourced from China."

Steve

Yep that's the reference everyone see.

Just from hearsay, this happened to the Studio line when they moved from V4 to V5. V4 was a rectangular vinyl clad box. V5 is rounded, real wood veneer, lacquered. Rumors has it that in order to contain costs (there was no significant price increase from V4 to 5) they outsourced the new cabinets (which need serious labor to make).

Anyway, seeing both of them in person, the V5 cabinets are better made, better looking, better braced and less resonant. Any bass boomines present in v4 is now gone.

OTOH the Signature line was always made with real wood veneer etc, and the price was always high - not sure if they outsourced those too.

And as a side note - if you study period furniture, it was only the kings of France that could afford sending their stuff to get lacquered in China. Anyone else had to do with local craftsmen and shellac. (and I'm not kidding).

Nap. 

Robert D

« Reply #83 on: 12 Jun 2010, 01:44 pm »
Proof

The Signature S8 here are Made in Canada
I can take a better pic if needed

Robert

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #84 on: 12 Jun 2010, 02:01 pm »
Basically, I feel I'm not getting the most out of the Bryston equipment with the L890s. However, are these other speakers worth almost 9-10 times the price? With the exception of the Klipsch, which is 3-4 times the price.

Let your ears be the judge :D

Be well...

math-geek

« Reply #85 on: 12 Jun 2010, 07:13 pm »
Chinese mfg. is a touchy subject!  I try to support mfg. from countries that support human rights.  I have owned Cheinese made gear (still do) that has performed very acceptably.

It is hard to say why companies choose to outsource.  Dynaudio doesn't, at all, JM Labs to Denmark and France, Revel now to China, Totem to Denmark and China, Paradigm(?).  The odd thing is, is that Dynaudios business is still thriving.  They are more expensive, yes.  Just take a listen and a look at there 16 coat piano black laquer in person.  You could shave in the reflection, the cabinets are phenomenal!  They are not necessarily flashy but they are made with CARE!

That is rare anymore.  Ask James and Bryston.

vegasdave

« Reply #86 on: 12 Jun 2010, 08:44 pm »
Let your ears be the judge :D

Be well...

Exactly.

vegasdave

« Reply #87 on: 12 Jun 2010, 08:46 pm »
Chinese mfg. is a touchy subject!  I try to support mfg. from countries that support human rights.  I have owned Cheinese made gear (still do) that has performed very acceptably.

It is hard to say why companies choose to outsource.  Dynaudio doesn't, at all, JM Labs to Denmark and France, Revel now to China, Totem to Denmark and China, Paradigm(?).  The odd thing is, is that Dynaudios business is still thriving.  They are more expensive, yes.  Just take a listen and a look at there 16 coat piano black laquer in person.  You could shave in the reflection, the cabinets are phenomenal!  They are not necessarily flashy but they are made with CARE!

That is rare anymore.  Ask James and Bryston.

Well, that's why I'm interested in Dynaudio. With thanks to you for reminding me!

I'll also add: Klipsch Heritage (not sure about the other lines) is 100 percent made in the USA, and the prices aren't too steep.

vegasdave

« Reply #88 on: 12 Jun 2010, 08:54 pm »
Proof

The Signature S8 here are Made in Canada
I can take a better pic if needed

Robert

Ok, cool. Thanks. No better photo needed.

mkaiser

« Reply #89 on: 12 Jun 2010, 10:48 pm »
Let your ears be the judge

Exactly.

Make sure you bring your wallet when you get around to listening to the Signature S6 or S8 with your Bryston gear. As stated already they're a perfect match. If you leave it up to your ears you'll be buying them.

bummrush

« Reply #90 on: 12 Jun 2010, 10:52 pm »
 Hook up the Bryston to some Legacy speakers

vegasdave

« Reply #91 on: 12 Jun 2010, 11:31 pm »
Make sure you bring your wallet when you get around to listening to the Signature S6 or S8 with your Bryston gear. As stated already they're a perfect match. If you leave it up to your ears you'll be buying them.

Ok, I will probably give those a try.

vegasdave

« Reply #92 on: 12 Jun 2010, 11:32 pm »
Hook up the Bryston to some Legacy speakers

Legacy is another brand I was considering. Thanks for reminding me.

Napalm

« Reply #93 on: 13 Jun 2010, 02:46 am »
Legacy is another brand I was considering. Thanks for reminding me.

So, your flirt with horns is over?

Nap.  :dunno:

vegasdave

« Reply #94 on: 13 Jun 2010, 04:27 am »
Nope. I said I was interested in the Klipsch Cornwall IIIs. You must have missed it...

Laundrew

« Reply #95 on: 13 Jun 2010, 09:20 pm »
Nope. I said I was interested in the Klipsch Cornwall IIIs. You must have missed it...

How about these :scratch:

Be well...

vegasdave

« Reply #96 on: 13 Jun 2010, 09:29 pm »
I don't think so...

Laundrew

« Reply #97 on: 13 Jun 2010, 09:42 pm »
I don't think so...

Where is your sense of adventure vegasdave :scratch:

:wink:

Be well...

VOLKS

« Reply #98 on: 13 Jun 2010, 09:48 pm »
How about these :scratch:

Be well...

Separated at Birth?

Gotta love Horn Speakers LOL

Ryanz

« Reply #99 on: 13 Jun 2010, 10:29 pm »

Separated at Birth?

Gotta love Horn Speakers LOL

:lol: Nice! He looks just like a client of mine!