vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: Amplifier Clipping
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jun 2010, 11:03 pm »
I need my tunes at least 80dbs!

95Dyna

« Reply #21 on: 8 Jun 2010, 01:52 pm »
I probably will never have clipping. I have Magnepan 3.6's with my Bryston 4B-sst@2 in my apartment and play music softly all the time. The music playing right now is 'A' rated 68dB with Radio Shack meter. I would say my highest dB is mid 80's.
(( i guess I got all the "LOUD" out way back in my thirties.. Back then, open the window, crank up Figaro singing his entrance aria in the opera: "Figaro" and let the entire city neighborhood hear it on a Summer Saturday afternoon, while I plugged my ears... (LOL). Another time the manager though a truck had hit the building! ))
Now I just like to hear music, I do not feel I have to have it vibrate my whole body to enjoy it. So mid 80dB is as loud as i need.

Hi Elizabeth,

Like you, my 30's are "way back" as well but even at the ripe old age of 59 I still can't resist cranking up an acoustic bass solo.  Maybe it's the pair of 12" woofers in each of my speakers combined with the 7B's that render an astonishing bass solo reproduction.  Believe me my objective with the aforementioned scenario was not to get my 7B to clip.  I also enjoy much of what I listen to at more civilized levels. 

Regards,

Bill

larevoj

« Reply #22 on: 8 Jun 2010, 01:54 pm »
I have been driving a pair of Dynaudio (4 ohm load) with 4BSST2 at different gain levels on ALL genre of music but never had a chance to witness a moment of clipping (not that I like to). I usually have the BP26 volume knob at 9 O'Clock position and occasionally I will crank it up to 11 O'Clock.

I think my ears would bleed before I ever witness a clipping amp  :violin:

Napalm

« Reply #23 on: 8 Jun 2010, 02:03 pm »
I usually have the BP26 volume knob at 9 O'Clock position and occasionally I will crank it up to 11 O'Clock.

Same here. Around 9 o'clock for pop/rock and other genres where they use compressors and do the "loudness war" thing. And around 11 for well recorded CDs. Usually this is either classical music or some older CDs produced before the compressor wars.

Nap.  :thumb:

sfraser

« Reply #24 on: 8 Jun 2010, 02:14 pm »
I probably will never have clipping. I have Magnepan 3.6's with my Bryston 4B-sst@2 in my apartment and play music softly all the time. The music playing right now is 'A' rated 68dB with Radio Shack meter. I would say my highest dB is mid 80's.
(( i guess I got all the "LOUD" out way back in my thirties.. Back then, open the window, crank up Figaro singing his entrance aria in the opera: "Figaro" and let the entire city neighborhood hear it on a Summer Saturday afternoon, while I plugged my ears... (LOL). Another time the manager though a truck had hit the building! ))
Now I just like to hear music, I do not feel I have to have it vibrate my whole body to enjoy it. So mid 80dB is as loud as i need.

Your story reminded me of when i was in my late twenties living in a duplex in downtown Ottawa. My neighbours consisted of 6 very loud university students who took great delight lighting off fire crackers at 2:00am from our adjoining balconies..... One Halloween they had a huge keg party. Early the next morning it was payback time for all the fire crackers. I had  a  set of professional stage monitors I had rented for a DJ gig, so i snaked 50' of cable from my amp through my kitchen, out the door  and into their kitchen. One facing upstairs, and one facing downstairs. Their house as expected was extremely quiet except for the snoring and impending hangovers that were lurking about. I had my girlfriend operate the cd player/preamp....and she played a very robust version of "Ride of the Valkyries" at ear splitting volumes. I don't if the Bryston was clipping or not, cause i was standing in the neighbours kitchen playing conductor with a ruler wearing a sh*t eating grin :)

vegasdave

« Reply #25 on: 9 Jun 2010, 06:57 pm »
Awesome.

vegasdave

« Reply #26 on: 9 Jun 2010, 06:58 pm »
Same here. Around 9 o'clock for pop/rock and other genres where they use compressors and do the "loudness war" thing. And around 11 for well recorded CDs. Usually this is either classical music or some older CDs produced before the compressor wars.

Nap.  :thumb:

I go to 12 for vinyl. And around 10 or 11 for well recorded cds. 9 for compressed audio.

lossless

« Reply #27 on: 9 Jun 2010, 08:07 pm »
I can easily clip my 7B ST's driving my Paradigm S8 v3's.   It does not matter what the material played is, it could be the most bass demanding track out there, and those lights will turn red if I want them to.   
:drums::bomb:

95Dyna

« Reply #28 on: 9 Jun 2010, 08:18 pm »
I can easily clip my 7B ST's driving my Paradigm S8 v3's.   It does not matter what the material played is, it could be the most bass demanding track out there, and those lights will turn red if I want them to.   
:drums::bomb:

That seems odd.  The S8's are notoriously easy to drive with a sensitivity of 92 db and an 8 ohm nominal impedence.  As I posted earlier I had to present my 7's with the most excruciating scenario an amp should ever have to encounter in real life outside the lab before just one of the two would clip only for an instant (like a stobe light flash only red):scratch:.

lossless

« Reply #29 on: 9 Jun 2010, 08:32 pm »
That seems odd.  The S8's are notoriously easy to drive with a sensitivity of 92 db and an 8 ohm nominal impedence.  As I posted earlier I had to present my 7's with the most excruciating scenario an amp should ever have to encounter in real life outside the lab before just one of the two would clip only for an instant (like a stobe light flash only red):scratch:.

What is odd about it?  The S8 v3's can handle stupid amounts of power.  I do not listen like that all the time, but like I said, if I want to make the 7B ST's clip, I can and the S8's don't even flinch.  Based on that I would guess to say that the S8 v3's could easily handle a pair of 28B SST2's.

Napalm

« Reply #30 on: 9 Jun 2010, 08:51 pm »
Mhhh I can see vegasdave  :drool: over the S8 pics.....

Nap.  :lol:

95Dyna

« Reply #31 on: 9 Jun 2010, 08:56 pm »
What is odd about it?  The S8 v3's can handle stupid amounts of power.  I do not listen like that all the time, but like I said, if I want to make the 7B ST's clip, I can and the S8's don't even flinch.  Based on that I would guess to say that the S8 v3's could easily handle a pair of 28B SST2's.

Hi lossless,

I wasn't talking about the S8's power handling capabilities I was talking about them being easy to drive which is counterintuitive to making any amplifier clip let alone a beast like the 7B.  The S8 is a great speaker by anybody's measure and being easy to drive takes nothing away from that.  That the 7B would clip easily while driving them is what I find odd.

Regards,

Bill

vegasdave

« Reply #32 on: 9 Jun 2010, 10:30 pm »
Mhhh I can see vegasdave  :drool: over the S8 pics.....

Nap.  :lol:

Nah, not really.

lossless

« Reply #33 on: 9 Jun 2010, 11:38 pm »
Nah, not really.

Yeah, why would he drool, afterall S8's are only considered "mid-fi" right?

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #34 on: 9 Jun 2010, 11:48 pm »
Yeah, why would he drool, afterall S8's are only considered "mid-fi" right?

I think that the S8's are awesome speakers - I was very impressed when I first auditioned them :thumb:

Be well...

vegasdave

« Reply #35 on: 10 Jun 2010, 12:13 am »
I think that the S8's are awesome speakers - I was very impressed when I first auditioned them :thumb:

Be well...

I'm considering the Dynaudio Focus 360s at the moment.

Laundrew

« Reply #36 on: 10 Jun 2010, 12:26 am »
How about a great pair of bookshelf speakers?

...or would you rather have your pick :thumb:

Be well...

vegasdave

« Reply #37 on: 10 Jun 2010, 01:02 am »
Yeah, Chinese cabinets with Mexican drivers! My JBLs are already made in Mexico. And if you blow a driver in yours, you're getting a Mexican made driver! haha.  :D

Laundrew

« Reply #38 on: 10 Jun 2010, 01:47 am »
Yeah, Chinese cabinets with Mexican drivers! My JBLs are already made in Mexico. And if you blow a driver in yours, you're getting a Mexican made driver! haha.  :D

This is where an exceptionally clean output from your amplifier and careful use of the volume control should negate this. If I ever "do" cook a driver, I am sure my audio guys can set me up with a non Mexican/Chinese substitute or a new complete speaker. Or I could look for new speakers made by someone else.

:idea:

If I did not have to maintain my wife’s  :flame: PT Cruiser - who knows what may end up on the floor :eyebrows:

Be well...

Napalm

« Reply #39 on: 10 Jun 2010, 02:48 am »

Nap.   :green: