Sabre32 Ultra DAC

Napalm

Re: Sabre32 Ultra DAC
« Reply #20 on: 16 Jun 2010, 12:08 am »
it was Slew Rate - highest number wins!

tada da da da da ...Ladies and Gentlemen, and the winner is ....

http://www.parasound.com/halo/a51.php

Nap.
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2010, 01:09 am by Napalm »

daniloreyes

• If it sounds good ... Listen to it!
« Reply #21 on: 16 Jun 2010, 01:33 am »
So its this one on the  market yet or we have to wait to audition it?

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #22 on: 16 Jun 2010, 01:33 am »
Yeah, made in Taiwan.  :thumb:

Napalm

« Reply #23 on: 16 Jun 2010, 01:38 am »
Well, we're in the Bryston forum so our choice is clear....

James will forgive us for posting links to "other stuff" from time to time....

Yes, the specs are not everything. Unless they are terrible, at which point you have to double-check why you liked the thing when auditioning.

Nap.  :thumb:

vegasdave

« Reply #24 on: 16 Jun 2010, 03:40 am »
Well, we're in the Bryston forum so our choice is clear....

James will forgive us for posting links to "other stuff" from time to time....

Yes, the specs are not everything. Unless they are terrible, at which point you have to double-check why you liked the thing when auditioning.

Nap.  :thumb:

That's right. Yeah, I guess he does. No, they're not.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #25 on: 16 Jun 2010, 12:58 pm »
tada da da da da ...Ladies and Gentlemen, and the winner is ....

http://www.parasound.com/halo/a51.php

Nap.

How much :scratch:

Napalm

« Reply #26 on: 16 Jun 2010, 01:32 pm »
How much :scratch:

OOPS sorry I should have posted the link to the 2 channel A21:

http://www.parasound.com/halo/a21.php

which is a direct competitor to the 4B.

Nap.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #27 on: 16 Jun 2010, 02:19 pm »
It's a direct competitor to the 4B.

Nap.

Thanks Nap :thumb:

Be well...

KnowTalent

• ...stuck in the middle with you
« Reply #28 on: 16 Jun 2010, 10:00 pm »
Hi - no disagreement from me at all.  It is just that I am cautioning people not to latch on to one specfic aspect in a design and assume that solves all the problems.  It is always a collection of aspects dealth with with an overall view to the design goals.  When we first started Bryston it was Slew Rate - highest number wins! - obviously there is more to quality amp design than slew rate.

just my $00.02

james

Understood and I wholeheartedly agree with your previous comments on power supply, ground plane issues and your AWESOME discrete output stage...rather I was "assuming" since you guys have all the previous mentioned stuff nailed down, I can't help but wonder what futher improvements you might uncover utilizing a DAC with the Sabre32 specs?  The CS4398 is a $5.00 part whereas the Sabre32 is somewhere around $35...spend the extra money and add a couple hundred bucks to cover price increase...just make sure you leave the option to disable upsampliing  :eyebrows:

That and my own selfish motivation to have a digital source with volume control....why should I pay $3-5K for a decent preamp when I can spend the same for a CDP with onboard volume control.

werd

« Reply #29 on: 16 Jun 2010, 10:13 pm »
Understood and I wholeheartedly agree with your previous comments on power supply, ground plane issues and your AWESOME discrete output stage...rather I was "assuming" since you guys have all the previous mentioned stuff nailed down, I can't help but wonder what futher improvements you might uncover utilizing a DAC with the Sabre32 specs?  The CS4398 is a $5.00 part whereas the Sabre32 is somewhere around $35...spend the extra money and add a couple hundred bucks to cover price increase...just make sure you leave the option to disable upsampliing  :eyebrows:

That and my own selfish motivation to have a digital source with volume control....why should I pay $3-5K for a decent preamp when I can spend the same for a CDP with onboard volume control.

I asked that already and he said they would be stressing the technology....  (last page)*

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #30 on: 16 Jun 2010, 10:32 pm »
Hi Understand:

What I am saying is that as an example when we first introduced our built in Dac for the BP25 preamps  Dacs were available that on paper were capable of 192/24 bit resolution.  We found testing them that yes that was true but the noise and distortion at 192/24 was much much worst than at 44.1 or 96.  So we limited the DAC in the BP25 at the time to 96K to provide for the best compromise between real world performance and specmanship.

james

vegasdave

« Reply #31 on: 17 Jun 2010, 12:19 am »
OOPS sorry I should have posted the link to the 2 channel A21:

http://www.parasound.com/halo/a21.php

which is a direct competitor to the 4B.

Nap.

Still made in Taiwan! Blah.   :roll:

*Scotty*

« Reply #32 on: 17 Jun 2010, 12:20 am »
One of the useful features of the Crystal 4398 DAC is digital volume control. If you don't get carried away and attenuate the output too much in the digital domain this ability can be combined with a heroic output stage to eliminate the requirement for a preamp.
If the digital volume control feature of the CS4398 is utilized with a suitable output stage you can now evaluate the transparency of a preamp inserted in the system ahead of the DAC. Basically you can see how close your preamp can come to being completely invisible
when inserted into the signal path. Obviously the presence of the ICs and the RCA jacks along with the rest of the passive components in the signal path will preclude the preamp from being completely invisible.The more frequently this powerful evaluation tool is utilized the more rapidly progress towards perfection will be made.
Scotty

gdbalp

« Reply #33 on: 18 Jun 2010, 02:45 am »
Hi Understand:

"What I am saying.....  So we limited the DAC in the BP25 at the time to 96K to provide for the best compromise between real world performance and specmanship.

Hi James,

My question is for the bit depth capabilities of the Sabre32 DAC.  Will there be any advantage for increasing the bit depth from 16/20/24 bit to 32 bits, similar to the BDA-1 16 to 24 bits?.

Ciao,
Luigi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #34 on: 18 Jun 2010, 11:02 am »
Hi Understand:

"What I am saying.....  So we limited the DAC in the BP25 at the time to 96K to provide for the best compromise between real world performance and specmanship.

Hi James,

My question is for the bit depth capabilities of the Sabre32 DAC.  Will there be any advantage for increasing the bit depth from 16/20/24 bit to 32 bits, similar to the BDA-1 16 to 24 bits?.

Ciao,
Luigi

Hi Luigi,

it is certainly worth looking at - I guess this got off track a bit.  I was not saying it would not be an advantage. I was just commenting that overly focusing on only one aspect of performance in any product can be counter productive.

james