BDA-1 -- News?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDA-1 -- News?
« Reply #100 on: 30 Sep 2009, 09:21 pm »
Hi James;

The BDA-1 arrived safe and sound on Monday. It has taken its rightful place on top of my BCD-1 and BP26.

As my music server is not up and running yet, I could only connect my BCD-1 and Denon DVD-A player to the BDA-1. I first compared the BCD-1 analog output to itself digitally through the BDA-1 via the coax SPDIF connection. Flipping back and forth between the two balanced inputs on the BP26 showed that the sound was identical and I couldn't really tell them apart. However, I did this rather casually and I didn?t spend too much time listening to this comparison critically.

I then moved on to comparing the BCD-1 to the DVD-A player. Much to my chagrin, I discovered that my DVD-A player would not pass 24/96 audio out the digital port due to copyright restrictions (I hope to avoid this when I rip my DVD-A collection to my music server). However, it will pass 24/48 out digitally which the BDA-1 handles just fine. I've spent the last two nights comparing the BCD-1 and redbook CD at 16/44.1 to the BDA-1 and DVD-A at 24/48 through the balanced inputs on the BP26. I have a number of recordings that I have on both CD and DVD-A, and with careful use of the Pause/Play controls I could get the two players cued up pretty close to one another on the same track.

There is still much listening to be done, but so far the BDA-1/DVD-A edges out the BCD-1/CD ever so slightly. At first I thought that I liked the BCD-1 because it had better PRAT, but then I thought I preferred the wider soundstage and more 'air' with the BDA-1. In the end it was really close and I was enjoying either one equally. I've got lots more listening to do once I get my music server going, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Once again I'm thrilled with my latest Bryston component, and I want to thank you very much.

Cheers,
Dan

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #101 on: 2 Oct 2009, 02:26 pm »
Hi All,

Got this from PMC our Distributor in the UK this morning.

Dear gents

We have won another award!

What HiFi 2009 Awards - last night

Category; Digital Players & Accessories

Bryston BDA1 -  best DAC over 500 pounds

As soon as their site puts up the info I?ll get it over to you!

Thanks
Keith

KeithA

« Reply #102 on: 2 Oct 2009, 02:44 pm »
Hi All,

Dear gents

Thanks
Keith

Wow...mine's not that heavy :P

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #103 on: 2 Oct 2009, 03:32 pm »
Sorry about that but I could not get the British pound sign to work.

james

KeithA

« Reply #104 on: 2 Oct 2009, 03:45 pm »
Sorry about that but I could not get the British pound sign to work.

james

It's me who should be sorry for being an idiot :wink:

It's a rainy Friday....you look for chuckles anywhere you can get 'em  :wink:

I will add, though James, my BDA-1 & Slim Devices Transporter combo is absolutely 'killer'. The Transporter along with the Duet "IPod-like' remote control is superb.

Keith

ddgtr

« Reply #105 on: 3 Oct 2009, 12:57 am »
Hi All,

Dear gents

Thanks
Keith

Congratulations!!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #106 on: 12 Oct 2009, 04:07 pm »
Hi All,

I got a PDF of an excellent review on the Bryston BDA-1 External DAC in an Italian Magazine -  Suono. I can send you the PDF in Italian if anyone wants it. Anyway I asked our Italian Distributor to translate the measurements graphs on page 3 for me and here is his feedback:

"Hello James,

Here are the graph explanations:

1. Frequency response
From the digital input at 96 kHz sampling, it extends itself up to 60 kHz at -3dB.
All frequency response's are very similar, even when changing sampling frequencies and upsampling modes. USB is also aligned to the other results but with extension just over 20 kHz.
So, excellent results. Very extended and extremely linear.

2. Double tone at 19 and 20 kHz
The purpose is to verify if there is IMD - intermodulation distortion.

3. Single tone at 1 kHz
The purpose of this is to trace harmonic distortion and floor noise.

From both graphs the reviewer notes that harmonic and intermodulation distortion are practically absent.

The noise floor is so low, that a few elements of digital distortion appear, which are usually (in other products) covered by the floor noise.

It's a terrific result, and means the resolution is extremely high.

Best regards
Marco Sonnino
Audio Reference"

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #107 on: 5 Nov 2009, 08:26 pm »
MEMO: To all Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Absolute Sound Award for Bryston BDA-1

November 6th 2009

Hi All,

I was just informed that the very prestigious Absolute Sound Magazine has awarded the Bryston BDA-1 External DAC a:

"Digital Separate of The Year Award"

The full details will be in the January 2010 issue of the Absolute Sound.

James Tanner
Bryston, Ltd.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #108 on: 12 Nov 2009, 12:39 pm »
The Absolute Sound Magazine

Bryston BDA-1 External DAC

"This new DAC, based on Bryston?s highly successful BCD-1 CD player, breaks new ground in its price range. It does this with a remarkable ability to resolve information in a musically coherent way, rather than by raw sonic analysis. The way instrumental lines relate to each other, how rhythms trade off, why the composer wrote the music as he did, and why each musician plays his line a particular way are all beautifully laid out by the BDA-1. Significantly, the BDA-1 requires no ?decoding? by the listener to appreciate these qualities. Rather, the Bryston effortlessly makes these musical values evident.

The BDA-1 is also highly versatile and designed to meet the needs of today?s range of digital sources. In addition to offering a USB input for easy connection to a computer-based music server, the BDA-1 provides selectable up-conversion of 44.1/16 to a higher sampling frequency along with a useful front-panel display."

The Absolute Sound

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #109 on: 12 Nov 2009, 04:04 pm »
cool, James!:thumb:congrats to the entire Bryston team.

alex.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #110 on: 28 Mar 2010, 04:45 pm »
Sent: March-26-10 11:00 AM
To: Elliot frontrowtheater; James Tanner BRYSTON
Subject: BCD-1

Gentlemen:

I just want to say that I appreciate your efforts in answering my questions; and thank you for the wonderful BCD-1.

However, I am losing sleep. The BCD-1 has been playing for about 40 hours, and I've been there for all of it, except 9 hours of sleep. While this is such a small price to pay for sleep deprivation, it's time for me to enjoy Oscar Peterson on Repeat Disc and to say good night.

BTW, the BCD-1 is, indeed, wonderful. It has exceeded my very high expectations for providing a lifelike musical experience; and the exceptional build quality.

I will send you a more detailed summary, and some positive customer feedback...but for now, good night.

Thanks again,

T