SP3 and HDMI 2.0

MadScientist

SP3 and HDMI 2.0
« on: 25 Apr 2014, 12:50 pm »
I’m thinking of trading in my Meridian processor in favour of the Bryston SP3.    As the latest HMDI 2.0 specification has been announced, I just wondered about its potential implementation on the SP3.    Feasible?  If yes, via hardware or firmware upgrade?    I’m not particularly interested in more than 7 audio channels but 4k pass-through at higher frame rates would be of interest.   

Thanks for any feedback
MS

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP3 and HDMI 2.0
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2014, 01:57 pm »
I’m thinking of trading in my Meridian processor in favour of the Bryston SP3.    As the latest HMDI 2.0 specification has been announced, I just wondered about its potential implementation on the SP3.    Feasible?  If yes, via hardware or firmware upgrade?    I’m not particularly interested in more than 7 audio channels but 4k pass-through at higher frame rates would be of interest.   

Thanks for any feedback
MS

Hi MS

Yes the 4K passthrough is available on the SP3 but there are still many unanswered questions about HDMI 2.0. 

james

scottsol

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2014, 02:35 pm »
But will the SP3 pass 4K at 60 fps?

MadScientist

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2014, 02:39 pm »
James, thanks for the feedback.  I would like to know the answer to scottsol's question as well.

Also, do you have any idea when the HDMI 2.0 'upgradability' issue will become clearer?
MS

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2014, 04:04 pm »
But will the SP3 pass 4K at 60 fps?

Hi

Will have to ask engineering that one - by the way what content is available at these rates???

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2014, 05:23 pm »
Hi

Will have to ask engineering that one - by the way what content is available at these rates???

james

From Engineering:
HDMI video specs:
                TMDS clock up to  300MHz
                4K (3840x2160) at 50/60Hz frame rate, 8-bit color ( 4:2:0 c.s. only(***))
                4K (3840x2160) at 24/25/30Hz frame rate, 8-bit color ( 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 c.s.)
                4K (3840x2160) at 24/25/30Hz frame rate, 10-bit color (4:2:0 c.s. only)

1080p at 50/60Hz frame rate, 8-bit color   ( 4:4:4, 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 c.s.)
                1080p at 50/60Hz frame rate, 10 and 12-bit color   ( 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 c.s.)
                1080p at 24/25/30Hz frame rate, 8,10 and 12-bit color (4:4:4, 4:2:2 and 4:2:0)
                1080i, 720p, 720i and lesser formats playable with no restrictions

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2014, 05:25 pm »
Also put this together based on what I can find out as of today.

Hi Folks,

There is a LOT of misconception and incorrect information in the marketplace regarding 4K video.

Simply stated, currently, unless the unit is a professional movie theatre based processor it will not offer ‘true’ 4K performance.

4K DVD, can [currently] be accomplished but has limited bandwidth [pixel]
output, that doesn’t fully utilize the potential 4 times 1080p frame.  Again, without use of a commercial grade, professional only video processor, you will not get the full 4096 x 1714 (Digital Cinema 4K) 7,020,544 pixels or the FULL APERTURE 4K of 4096 x 3112, 12,746,752 pixels.
 The Full Aperture, Ultra HD as it is referred to, is YEARS away, as it is a work in progress, with both the hardware and software vendors, not to mention the print vendors like Sony.

4K Ultra HD is derived from the 4K Digital Cinema Standard, as shown within newer, all digital cinema’s in native 4096 x 2160. The consumer side [right now] is LESS wide in that standard professional width is 4096 pixels, and consumer is 3840 x 2160 (the CES Standard for MINIMUM category use).
Given this confusion BRYSTON does not feel comfortable designating the SP3 full 4K at this time.  The dust has to settle, the standards 
have to settle, and all sides have to agree! Some vendors, (but not BRYSTON), might label their respective product, Ultra HD or UltraHD ready or possibly 4K ready but we feel a wait and see policy is better suited in this instance.

As it relates to [consumer] product to display true 4K, only Sony is showing a projector, and it doesn’t currently appear to be a true 4K projector.  Manufacturers of the different type video monitors such as  LCD, D-ILA or DLP camps have not jumped in as of yet. Also remember that Scaling isn’t native.  Sony panels are [expected] to ship in June but there is a big difference, between what Sony is rolling out in ‘content’ available within a download service, for Sony 4K TV owners and NATIVE 4 K broadcasting.
 STANDARDS STILL NEED TO BE RATIFIED!  Compressed 4K will be, or are in the process of rolling out with Netflix & Youtube, but you’ll need massive computing
power to utilize this!

Then there are HDMI issues, Current & Future, as it relates to the processors and handshake EDID question, which is a whole other discussion. Current versions of 1.4 HDMI Spec, allow for 3D AND 4K!  Hence BRYSTON can pass, an unscaled video signal that enters its SP3 out through the board
and chip controlling the 1.4 codec.  As others are now claiming they are 4K compliant!  This is generally at the higher end of product up to 24 frames/second, with a 
spec to allow for up to 30frames/second…at 10MBPS speed.

The coming HDMI 2 will increase the bandwidth up to 18 Gbps, supports 4K Ultra HD, and does so at 60 frames/sec, within the color gamut of 4:2:2 12-bit resolution. I believe that even the Sony TV doesn’t utilize the HDMI 2.0 protocol yet!  So I would be very cautious telling anyone that what is available today, is fully HDMI 2.0 & 4K Ultra HD Full Aperture, or Digital Cinema
ready - unless a professional product again, is used to process video, independent of audio!

In conclusion BRYSTON, is working on upgraded, and redesigned our products, but until all aspects are ratified, chipsets are released, and testing
takes place Bryston will not state 4K capability.  Again, DO NOT think because a manufacturer says they are 4K ready, that they support the full bandwidth.
 It just isn’t so!

scottsol

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2014, 06:02 pm »
James,

Last year Sony had one true 4K (4096X2160) consumer projector, this year they have two at 15K and 27K.

If you want to be precise you can use 4K for items that meet the theatrical standard and Ultra HD for the 16:9 format.
In practice, virtually none of my customers make a distinction between true 4K and Ultra HD. Let's face it, when viewing properly mastered modern movies, no one is even getting true 1920X1080 since all the consumer equipment is 1.78:1 while films are at least 1.85:1

Scott

« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2014, 07:13 pm by scottsol »

MadScientist

« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2014, 06:18 pm »
James, many thanks for the informative reply.    It’s great news that to hear that Bryston are working on upgrades in this area already.    One question that’s still on my mind is that, if I were to buy a SP3 processor in the next few months, what’s the likelihood that I may be able to benefit from such developments, e.g. one year down the line?    The brochure describes the SP3 as: ‘designed for easy upgrading to future formats’.    Is this likely to apply to the HDMI spec?     I realise it may be too early to call this but I do like to make by purchasing decisions armed with all the information I can get.    I wonder if engineering can make any comment regarding the above question.   
Thanks
MS

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2014, 06:27 pm »

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2014, 06:28 pm »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 25 Apr 2014, 06:52 pm »
James, many thanks for the informative reply.    It’s great news that to hear that Bryston are working on upgrades in this area already.    One question that’s still on my mind is that, if I were to buy a SP3 processor in the next few months, what’s the likelihood that I may be able to benefit from such developments, e.g. one year down the line?    The brochure describes the SP3 as: ‘designed for easy upgrading to future formats’.    Is this likely to apply to the HDMI spec?     I realise it may be too early to call this but I do like to make by purchasing decisions armed with all the information I can get.    I wonder if engineering can make any comment regarding the above question.   
Thanks
MS

Hi MS

The HDMI board in the SP3 is a separate board so we can certainly change going forward as well as software changes which are simple and straight forward.

Also remember the SP3 does not "PROCESS" video we simply "PASS IT THROUGH" so as video processing changes we typically are affected much less than processors that process video as that seems to change week to week. i think it is better to let the video monitor deal with the video independently.

james

MadScientist

« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2014, 07:06 pm »
In my case it will be a Lumagen scaler that handles the video.  Thanks for the reply.   
MS