CD Storage - The Horror...

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Re: CD Storage - The Horror...
« Reply #60 on: 1 Apr 2013, 12:34 am »
Space . . . the final frontier

Looks awesome Rich  :thumb: I am guessing at the very least - 1800 CDs  :scratch:

Be well...

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #61 on: 1 Apr 2013, 10:44 am »
  Very classy as well as beautiful :thumb:

Laundrew

« Reply #62 on: 28 Jul 2013, 07:37 pm »
Emptied a couple of filing cabinets to make them easier to move out of the listening room and decided to load up the built-in CD shelf to see if the aesthetics of a wall full of CDs were pleasing. As it stands, they are approximately 1300 CDs on this rack and I am somewhat tempted to break the shelf in two horizontally, which would leave the storage capability of a little over 1000 CDs - more than enough space for my Gothic bands for the foreseeable future. The bonus is that another storage shelf can be added in the new closet, which will add storage for another 1200 - 1400 CDs.

Decisions, decisions  :duh:

Be well...

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #63 on: 28 Jul 2013, 09:11 pm »
I like to use odd corners to store my stuff.
I have a Leslie Dame CD1500 in the entryway hall. then another DVD case for Japanese and Euro films in the short hall space to bathroom/bedroom doors.
Other DVD shelving in corners behind my Magnepan speakers to left and right. (left is SF series and Anime, right is US feature 1.85/2.35)
Then my 5,000 LP records are in the main bedroom (to keep them OUT of the living room)  on two walls. Along with another CD1000 rack for Jazz CDs.

I hate filling up middle of walls with 'collections'.. I have nice artwork in those places...
If you were in my apartment, just sitting, you would never even notice I have 5,000 LPs, 2,600 CDs, and several thousand DVDs IN my apartment.
(sorry no pics.. I just never have been able to post pics...)

North Star

• "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
« Reply #64 on: 28 Jul 2013, 09:36 pm »
I like to use odd corners to store my stuff.
I have a Leslie Dame CD1500 in the entryway hall. then another DVD case for Japanese and Euro films in the short hall space to bathroom/bedroom doors.
Other DVD shelving in corners behind my Magnepan speakers to left and right. (left is SF series and Anime, right is US feature 1.85/2.35)
Then my 5,000 LP records are in the main bedroom (to keep them OUT of the living room)  on two walls. Along with another CD1000 rack for Jazz CDs.

I hate filling up middle of walls with 'collections'.. I have nice artwork in those places...
If you were in my apartment, just sitting, you would never even notice I have 5,000 LPs, 2,600 CDs, and several thousand DVDs IN my apartment.
(sorry no pics.. I just never have been able to post pics...)

Do you have any pictures that you wouldn't mind sharing with us Elizabeth?

Cheers,
Bob

Laundrew

« Reply #65 on: 29 Jul 2013, 12:36 am »

"..I hate filling up middle of walls with 'collections'.. I have nice artwork in those places...."

Greetings Elizabeth  :D

Couldn't agree more with you with respect to a wall of CDs and this decision to go this route was not an easy one. To soften this dilemma, this CD shelf is next to the entry door of my room and goes "unnoticed" when you walk into the room - the built-in bookcase is directly across from the CDs, so you will see the bookcase when you walk into the room and a wall full of books is pleasing for me. I have given a little thought to this shelf today and will most likely remove two middle shelves leaving 4 upper and 4 lower shelves and design a treatment to reduce/soften the impact of the wall of CDs - should prove to be interesting.

Be well... 

North Star

« Reply #66 on: 29 Jul 2013, 03:32 am »
Ha! ...I just noticed the last line: "Sorry no pics.."  :)

* The advantage of having your music collection at hand (on your wall) is that it takes much less time to spin something you have in mind in the moment than by going into another room, in some drawer you're not even sure of. By the time you find what you're looking for, the "drive" (feel of the moment) is already gone.  :duh:

In music, the present moment is everything. ...The timing.

Laundrew

« Reply #67 on: 29 Jul 2013, 07:43 pm »
Ha! ...I just noticed the last line: "Sorry no pics.."  :)

* The advantage of having your music collection at hand (on your wall) is that it takes much less time to spin something you have in mind in the moment than by going into another room, in some drawer you're not even sure of. By the time you find what you're looking for, the "drive" (feel of the moment) is already gone.  :duh:

In music, the present moment is everything. ...The timing.

Some very valid points - another bonus is that your music collection stays much more organized. I am really sitting on the fence with respect to this subject and hopefully this set up will work for me.

Be well...

ronman

« Reply #68 on: 30 Jul 2013, 04:56 pm »
When I built this rack to the rear of my room I though it would never get full  !! 1470 cds later (all alphabetical thankfully) its time for a new rack!!

ronman

« Reply #69 on: 30 Jul 2013, 05:55 pm »
THIS !!..............

..........is what I want to turn into a cd rack

But I want the grand piano !!       

Samurai7595

« Reply #70 on: 30 Jul 2013, 07:28 pm »
Some nice furniture storage here:
http://atochadesign.com/index.htm

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #71 on: 30 Jul 2013, 09:55 pm »
Emptied a couple of filing cabinets to make them easier to move out of the listening room and decided to load up the built-in CD shelf to see if the aesthetics of a wall full of CDs were pleasing. As it stands, they are approximately 1300 CDs on this rack and I am somewhat tempted to break the shelf in two horizontally, which would leave the storage capability of a little over 1000 CDs - more than enough space for my Gothic bands for the foreseeable future. The bonus is that another storage shelf can be added in the new closet, which will add storage for another 1200 - 1400 CDs.

Decisions, decisions  :duh:

Be well...

Laundrew, you've done a beautiful job on your storage shelves. Insetting them in the wall is efficient and elegant. While I quite agree with Elizabeth on the value of wall space, sometimes there are no other options. How did you construct the interior structure of this wall?

I look forward to seeing your new listening room and to following your music acquisitions. Surpassing 1000 discs this year appears to be approaching quickly.

Stay gruntled,

Rich

Laundrew

« Reply #72 on: 31 Jul 2013, 01:18 am »
Laundrew, you've done a beautiful job on your storage shelves. Insetting them in the wall is efficient and elegant. While I quite agree with Elizabeth on the value of wall space, sometimes there are no other options. How did you construct the interior structure of this wall?

I look forward to seeing your new listening room and to following your music acquisitions. Surpassing 1000 discs this year appears to be approaching quickly.

Stay gruntled,

Rich

Greetings Rich  :D

I used 2X6 for construction as it provided a stronger wall over a standard 2X4 wall and an added bonus is that the CD shelf has more contact support with the framing. The corners are a composite 2X6 and 2X4 "box" frame that really provides a strong support and greatly reduces warpage. The header at the top of the framework is also boxed and ties both of the sides together. Composite back supports for the CD rack are also 2X6 and 1X6 construction to also reduce warpage. No nails here - all construction screws and glue  :thumb:

A friend was over this evening giving me a few pointers on sanding drywall mud.

Be well...

North Star

« Reply #73 on: 31 Jul 2013, 04:31 am »
Yes, I really like that in-wall CD rack. ...That's the very best way I think. ...And it looks awesome!

Be good... :D

Laundrew

« Reply #74 on: 19 May 2014, 03:11 pm »
High time to incorporate the second phase of the CD storage plan and finally organize the "non-alternative" music collection into some form of sanity. Parameters will be to have a non-ornamental, Ikea type functional storage for a capacity of over 2000 CDs.

$400.00 does not seem to purchase very much in building supplies these days.

Current Non-organized CDs

Be well...

soundbitten1

« Reply #75 on: 19 May 2014, 09:04 pm »
Had a mud room addition built last summer. Took advantage of the new construction to also add a wall of cd shelves.

Laundrew

« Reply #76 on: 19 May 2014, 10:48 pm »
Had a mud room addition built last summer. Took advantage of the new construction to also add a wall of cd shelves.

Great job  :thumb: How many CDs can it store?

Be well...

soundbitten1

« Reply #77 on: 20 May 2014, 12:19 am »
It holds approximately 2,500 cds, I need one more.   :D

soundbitten1

« Reply #78 on: 20 May 2014, 11:46 am »
Does anyone else feel a little self conscious about having their music collection out in the open? Before the shelves I had my cds stored in various cabinets behind closed doors or in out-of-the-way rooms. Now my music tastes are displayed for all visitors, friends and relatives to see. What are they thinking? Are they baffled? curious? .... I don't know ... don't get much feedback. It's a little weird going from private to public like that.

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #79 on: 20 May 2014, 12:53 pm »
Does anyone else feel a little self conscious about having their music collection out in the open? Before the shelves I had my cds stored in various cabinets behind closed doors or in out-of-the-way rooms. Now my music tastes are displayed for all visitors, friends and relatives to see. What are they thinking? Are they baffled? curious? .... I don't know ... don't get much feedback. It's a little weird going from private to public like that.
Yes! I do. I've always thought that looking at someone's music collection or book collection was like peering into their soul. A lot of my music is off the beaten path and people who know it are often kindred spirits. I don't necessarily care how people judge me based on my music, but I am sometimes loathe to engage people in conversation about my collection.