Hi-Rez Streaming

witchdoctor

Re: Hi-Rez Streaming
« Reply #20 on: 19 Sep 2019, 04:13 pm »
Another update, if you are streaming via the firestick to a receiver the firestick is limited to HD resolution (16/44). The ultra hd tracks are available but you will see they are playing in 16/44.

charmerci

« Reply #21 on: 19 Sep 2019, 10:51 pm »
I have a love/hate relationship w/ Amazon. They are openly waging a retail war to have a foothold in every houselhold one way or another - and they have no qualms with plowing over competitors regardless of impact. So let's not downplay this cause it's a big f-ing deal.

+1

witchdoctor

« Reply #22 on: 20 Sep 2019, 03:56 am »
I did an A B comparison of MQA vs the Ultra HD track of Bob Marley "Is This Love" in 24/96. I used the Bluesound Node as a streamer. If there was a difference it was so subtle that I would have to split hairs to find it. Quboz sounded bright in my rig in comparison.

The streamer you use to playback Ultra HD tracks needs to be hirez capable. The firestick and the xbox one only play 44 khz and not higher. If you are going to use this service make sure you have a device that is hirez capable. A PC works fine via usb, just make sure to go into sound settings and in the advanced area set it for 24/192 output.

witchdoctor

« Reply #23 on: 22 Sep 2019, 01:56 am »
I was able to compare standard rez tracks on Amazon and tidal today. Tidal sounded much better on HIFI compared to amazon HD. With Amazon when you load a track it "sees" what your player can handle and feeds it the best availble quality. With Tidal you have to scroll and hunt for an MQA version. So amazon gets points for convenience and tidal for SQ.