Lii Audio Crystal-10 Drivers

beowulf

Lii Audio Crystal-10 Drivers
« on: 15 Aug 2019, 08:11 am »
Did anybody check these out yet?  99dB very tube friendly and they look pretty stellar, very tank like build and for a good price!

They make speakers too:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Lii Audio Crystal-10 Drivers
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2019, 08:22 am »
Freq x dB chart too good to be true.
A few days a go there was other topic on this driver:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=162682.0

nature boy

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2019, 02:30 pm »
Check out the Decware general discussion forums. Several folks building OB's with the Lii Audio Crystal 10" and F-15 drivers. Based on responses these single driver speakers are yielding excellent results.

NB
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2019, 04:37 pm by nature boy »

Norman Tracy

« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2019, 05:48 pm »
Looks like Lii takes a lot of inspiration from the Coral Beta 10, not at all a bad thing.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2019, 06:17 pm »
Speaking of inspired, the Lii 6.5" driver has the mid-cone suspension like the legendary Western Electric 755 and later Altec 755. Interesting experiment at $250/pair. I remember when Altec touted this decoupled cone design as allowing the center cone to reproduce mids and highs and the outer ring to couple in for the bass. In the '70s I discounted this, after all Stereo Review and Audio magazines said woofer + tweeter + crossover had to be better.  :duh: Of course even Altec placed them below their woofer + compression driver coaxs. As soon as I get the time machine working its back to 1976 to pick up a pair. The first picture below is me contemplating missed HiFi opportunities, with a 755 looking down second row far right.

https://www.lii-audio.com/index.php/product/6-5-inch-full-range-hi-fi-speaker-exquisite-design-bakelite-cone-for-tube-amplifier-m6-2-pcs/#

And the real deal...

http://streetcomanches.zohosites.com/My-Altec-Lansing-ramble.html

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2019, 04:01 am »
The prices showed at Lii site are for pair or each driver? :scratch:

beowulf

« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2019, 04:54 am »
The prices showed at Lii site are for pair or each driver? :scratch:

I'm pretty sure, it's for a pair.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2019, 05:08 am »
I'm pretty sure, it's for a pair.
That is good news, thanks.
They mention its a pair in the tittle I failed to see that :duh:
Seems there are a typo at the F15 specs:
14.Mms 13.70 grams
that is a too little weight for a 15'' cone and the big wheezer it use.
https://www.lii-audio.com/index.php/product/recommended-15-full-range-speaker-driver-for-music-loudspeaker-with-tube-amplifier-f-15-in-pair/
The 10'' 99dB seems the more suited to small tube amps of this brand imo.
I suppose they are all Ferrite magnet.

opa1

• ALEPH J, ALPAIR 10P CGR, Lii Audio F-15 OB's.
« Reply #8 on: 6 Sep 2019, 07:23 pm »
Those 6.5's look really nice. I ordered the F-15's last week. Should be getting them soon, I hope. I post some pics when they show up.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 6 Sep 2019, 07:26 pm »
The F15 is great, go big or go home, keep us posted.

beowulf

« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2019, 07:22 am »
Those 6.5's look really nice. I ordered the F-15's last week. Should be getting them soon, I hope. I post some pics when they show up.

+1 please report back!

opa1

« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2019, 09:39 pm »
The F-15's are here. Gotta say these drivers are good. Full large sound even at low volumes. With the small OB's I have them in the bass is very good. So far I'm impressed. Powering them with a Aleph J, Topping D30. SYS, Tidal.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 12 Sep 2019, 12:47 am »
Congratulations, seems a great driver to small tube amps with 97dB spl.
Do you will built the BR recommended box?

opa1

« Reply #13 on: 12 Sep 2019, 01:47 am »
Congratulations, seems a great driver to small tube amps with 97dB spl.
Do you will built the BR recommended box?
I've looked at the plans for the large vented enclosure. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 12 Sep 2019, 02:12 am »
This box will delivery more bass under 200Hz,
but will loss the OB effect in the mid / treble.
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2019, 07:46 am by FullRangeMan »

nature boy

« Reply #15 on: 21 Sep 2019, 06:22 pm »
Here's a YouTube video of the Crystal 10's in a simple OB Baltic Birch plywood frame. Driven by a 2 watt Decware amplifier.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=b_yrG3ZzE1g.

Video and audio was taken with a mobile phone. Can you imagine how good they sound in person?

NB

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 22 Sep 2019, 12:48 am »
Why he dont walk the camera?
Seem a direct from CD playback,
there is no room ambience.

nature boy

« Reply #17 on: 22 Sep 2019, 11:23 pm »
FullRangeMan,

Remember video and audio were taken with a cell phone. Not the best quality. Source was reel to reel tape. There have been several Crystal 10 OB speakers built by posters on the Decware forum. Most of these builders are claiming they are the best full range single driver speaker they've ever heard.

There will be "live streaming" of Steve Deckerts upcoming Decfest get together on Oct. 3-5 which will feature the Lii Audio Crystal 10 driver in an OB configuration and with the driver in a custom cabinet designed and built by Lii Audio. This event will be live streamed in HD video with a professional stereo mike set up to capture the audio.

Feel free to tune in for a better listening experience.

NB

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 22 Sep 2019, 11:39 pm »
These drivers are good news as the price are very affordable, the 15'' are incredible value and a very rare size in FR comunity.
Gracias

beowulf

« Reply #19 on: 28 Sep 2019, 08:47 pm »
Just a reminder, if anyone's near Peoria Illinois over October 3-5 the Lii F-15 and Crystal 10 drivers are going to be at the Decware 2019 Decfest in both open baffle designs and also Lii's flag ship Crystal 10 speaker cabinets! 

You guys should check it out if you're in the area. I'm in San Diego, so I will have to live vicariously through the live stream ... one of these days I'll make it there though.